Skurgeon’s Diary

Yesterday at many different points I found myself just doing things normally and then realizing my hip felt fine like nothing was ever wrong with it. But less than 4 days ago I was grabbing onto furniture and dragging my body off my bed because my leg was useless.

I took it easy on the leg yesterday but I also almost took 9500 steps without trying to. My gym workout was upper body but also intense. This morning laying in bed I’m just moving my leg and hip joint around and it feels completely fine.

The line between being okay and having something really out of whack is so small. I’ve had some real good sleeps the last couple of nights and I think that’s helped tremendously. I think it’s partly to do with the drugs. As soon as I get in bed I can’t keep my eyes open.

Today is leg and shoulders day and I was going to skip legs but I feel so good I think I will try some of the elegant movements but without multiple sets and reps…. And with very very little weight. I just want to see and feel if there’s any issues through full range of motion.

I’m pretty shocked. The way I felt Friday night I though for sure I would not be able to go to work at all this week but I’ve gotten through Monday and Tuesday easily.

The line between being okay and having something really out of whack is so small.
Ain't that the truth. Not a day goes by when I don't look at a patient and thank my lucky stars for my relative health.

Flowing movements with very little weight sound like a great way to start loading that muscle again.

No pain meds yesterday and no pain!

I did a very modified leg and shoulder workout. No squats or leg presses. I just pushed and pulled the sled a few times back and forth. First with no weight and then I periodically added 45 pound plates until I got up to 180 pounds. No problems doing that for 1 trip forward and backward. I regularly finish this exercise with 450 pounds. In between sets I just walked back and forth for about 3 minutes.

And that was it for my leg workout but I did do some farmer’s carry’s as part of the shoulder workout. 3 sets of 2 lengths with walking in between. 50 pounds, 70 pounds, 90 pounds. Usually I get up to 160 pounds with more sets and carrying them longer than the 2 lengths.

I chickened out on doing any kind of a squat movement but the way I pushed the sled (slow and driving one leg at a time) makes me confident that it should be okay. Next leg workout is Sunday. If I continue to be pain free until then I will get a little more adventurous.

Stairs are still in issue but only in my head because it’s been fine when I’ve tried. But I’m very conscious of it especially going down them. I’ve done my best to avoid them for now.

Also no pain or soreness to the touch when I massaged the area that was hurt.

This morning as I write this in bed after having gotten up to do some bathroom business there’s a super slight soreness just generally in the area but not to the touch or while moving it. Like less than a 1 out of 10 if I was going to rate discomfort. Could be in my head!

I ended up with almost 11k steps yesterday. Not planned or intentionally really. I just kind of did it. I had almost 7k done just in the gym.

So all good news I would say. I have an appointment with my own doctor on Monday I made as a follow up.

Great news on the pain front! Maybe hold off on more adventurous exercise until after the pain meds have completely left your system and you've talked to your doctor though.

No pain meds yesterday and no pain!
Good for you!
I did a very modified leg and shoulder workout. No squats or leg presses. I just pushed and pulled the sled a few times back and forth. First with no weight and then I periodically added 45 pound plates until I got up to 180 pounds. No problems doing that for 1 trip forward and backward. I regularly finish this exercise with 450 pounds. In between sets I just walked back and forth for about 3 minutes.

And that was it for my leg workout but I did do some farmer’s carry’s as part of the shoulder workout. 3 sets of 2 lengths with walking in between. 50 pounds, 70 pounds, 90 pounds. Usually I get up to 160 pounds with more sets and carrying them longer than the 2 lengths.
That makes sense, exercising and protecting your hip is what's important. Doing it at a lower weight is good. I have had to adjust my exercises to meet my body's various conditions, it gets worse as you get older. But knowing you can still do some good exercise is important.

What is on the bread, Skurgeon? I struggle to get enough protein & try to have some with every meal. Is it on your bread in this pic? Glad your hip seems to be getting better! 🤞

What is on the bread, Skurgeon? I struggle to get enough protein & try to have some with every meal. Is it on your bread in this pic? Glad your hip seems to be getting better! 🤞
It’s a low calorie version of French toast. 200 grams of egg whites soaked into the bread. Sprinkle some cinnamon on top and bake on parchment paper in the oven.

Full out back and biceps workout on Thursday. Took Friday off. Full on chest and triceps workout today. Been pain meds and pain free for the duration of the last 3 days. My hips not even crossing my mind. 6:30 pm and I’m already at 11k steps for today.

Tomorrow is leg and shoulders day. I’m going to play that one by ear whatever that means.

Yesterday and Today I weighed in at a new all time low of 205 pounds. That’s 197 pounds lost.

This shirt gives me instant abs!
6D01B2EC-2A14-4A5B-AD81-70F3AD65F80C.jpeg

Just trying to use up some odds and ends from the fridge and I came up with this. There’s a lot of stuff in it but it came out a tasty winner.

almost 2 pounds of food. 615 calories and 49 grams of protein.
FDB7862F-D702-418E-8C80-3E4AA29F1E59.jpeg

A1173974-DFA7-4E54-84CA-E5A12558954A.jpeg

Meatballs for breakfast? Lol.. it looks like meatballs in the picture but it’s little round roasting potatoes. First time trying here in the air fryer. Turned out good, like super mini 1 bite baked potatoes. Egg white omelette with cheddar and Swiss inside and some roasted peppers on the side.

Back