🏋️‍♀️Science of Diet and Exercise Journal👩‍🎓

The plateaus in weight loss are annoying

I agree, the human body does not like change very much, almost everything in human physiology is about maintaining homeostasis. It also annoys me when the theory does not match up to the reality because everybody is an individual.

So what should I avoid? I'm not doing anything intense.

Building up slowly is the key, it give the body time to adapt to change and for you to develop the correct form for the activity you are doing. Training too fast and too hard early does not give the body time to adapt and that is when injuries happen and the biological mechanisms kick in to fight against what you want to achieve. While exercise is great for general healt it is not the most important factor in weight loss.

That's interesting. How do hormones do that?

Estrogen is probably the main hormone to cause problems, too much or too little leads to the body storing more fat and can cause insulin resistance. Estrogen is directly involved in metabolism and maintaining a healthy weight, including helping to regulate glucose and lipid metabolism.

A lot of hormones are controlled by the pituitary gland including hormones that are related to metabolism along with the thyroid gland. (The pituitary gland controls the thyroid glands release of hormones).

Cushing disease is an example of fat gain due to a malfunction of the pituitary gland. PCOS is another condition where the hormones become out of balance and cause excess fat gain.

Thyroid hormones regulate basal metabolism, thermogenesis and play an important role in lipid and glucose metabolism and fat oxidation. Thyroid dysfunction is associated with changes in body weight and composition, body temperature and total and resting energy expenditure (REE) independent of physical activity.

Understanding the hormones and their function in the body is challenging, I have an end of semester exam next week where understanding the function of theses glands and and hormones will be a big part of the exam. Digging deeper into sport and exercise science I did not expect to be going into learning this level of detail especially for the areas not directly related to exercise but I can certainly see where is provides a wide base of knowledge. Almost all of the students in this subject are in the medical field, mostly med techs and pharmacology students.

Links

https://www.msdmanuals.com/en-au/ho...and-disorders/overview-of-the-pituitary-gland

Understanding the hormones and their function in the body is challenging,
Is there a way to balance them through lifestyle choices? Thanks for all the info.
Training too fast and too hard early
Not sure how to measure that. I get uncomfortable with things I can't measure.

Is there a way to balance them through lifestyle choices? Thanks for all the info.

Lifestyle does have an influence but unfortunately won't always fix the problem, for example here on the forum ladies with PCOS are common. PCOS makes it very hard to loose weight but no amount of lifestyle change will get rid of the ovarian cysts which cause the hormonal imbalance.

I am 49, I do not think I am pre menopausal but if the hormone tests come back in a way that indicate I am, then no amount of lifestyle changes will change it and I will need to work a lot harder to loose fat. The hormonal changes can be so severe in older ladies they go onto hormone replacement therapy.

I have issues which require steroid injection and I also have needed to use a lot of anti inflammatory steroid medication at times due to arthritis, injuries and allergies all of these corticosteroids have an effect on metabolism and cause weight gain, I would rather fight the weight gain than be in pain.

Not sure how to measure that. I get uncomfortable with things I can't measure.

Exercise prescription is hard to do online, being able to observe and make small incremental changes to a person technique is important. As for measurements

Light is defined as being between 57-63 % of max heart rate
Moderate - 64-76 %
Vigorous - 77 - 95 %
High - 80 - 100 %
Supra Maximal - cannot be measured using HR as the time spent at this level is too short.

VO2 max is more precise but unless your exercising in a Lab it is not practical for the average gym user or runner. Using Heart Rate Reserve is a little better than using max HR but requires some calculations and you need to measure your resting HR (your HR in the morning when you first wake up before getting out of bed or after resting lying down for 15-20 minutes). The talk test mentioned in another post is the easiest in a gym setting with no other measuring equipment.

Biomechanics is great in a lab where you can make measurements or video which can be analysed but without video analysis or lab equipment a lot of the technique stuff is all about close observation by a trained coach and how the athlete feels which is something which you just cannot measure.

Mobility and stability can have basic measurements done in the gym, without adequate levels in both some exercises should not be done until you do have the required base levels. Plyometrics and high impact exercises need you to have a base level of strength which varies with the exercise done.

I use the Functional Movement Screen to test mobility and stability to help work out what corrective exercises need to be done and what exercises I need to have the person avoid until their base skills are adequate to do a movement in a safe way. If there is pain in any of the tests it is an immediate referral to their GP or Physiotherapist (Physical Therapist) for a more complete assessment.

The general guidelines for cardio are 150 minutes minimum per week of moderate cardio, 75 minute if vigorous intensity is used and to separate sessions with a rest day where possible. Obviously the fitter and more experience, the more time you are able to spend doing an activity.

Something I should add, a good trainer will refer out if a problem is outside their scope of practice and If they don't immediately know an answer they will say so. I am weak in the area of running, studying biomechanics and studying video along with power plate data has helped but I would prefer to refer a runner to a running coach rather than muddle through and possibly make mistakes.

Exercise prescription is hard to do online, being able to observe and make small incremental changes to a person technique is important. As for measurements

Moderate - 64-76 %
Vigorous - 77 - 95 %
High - 80 - 100 %
Supra Maximal - cannot be measured using HR as the time spent at this level is too short.
Just to add to this for self-discipline: this is about cardiovascular strain, not muscle strain. For specific muscles you can compare your work to your maximum lifts but beginners shouldn´t be trying those.

I cannot remember if I have shared this before or not, but it is a PDF of my blank training program template, it is possibly more complex than a basic list but once it is filled and explained it is actually quite simple. to follow

Attachments

• Template to share.pdf
    390.1 KB · Views: 1
This is still a bit of a draft, a slightly modified version of an exercise planning worksheet from ESSA before a program is written

Attachments

• Program planning worksheet.pdf
    209.8 KB · Views: 1
I have issues which require steroid injection and I also have needed to use a lot of anti inflammatory steroid medication at times due to arthritis, injuries and allergies all of these corticosteroids have an effect on metabolism and cause weight gain, I would rather fight the weight gain than be in pain.
Sorry to read about this. Must be annoying.

Moderate - 64-76 %
Vigorous - 77 - 95 %
High - 80 - 100 %
So in the beginning I want to stay in the light to moderate range. Well, I think it's safe to say that's what I'm doing. Will eventually get a heart monitor to be sure.

Not feeling very motivated to post, I have my physiology exam in about 30 minutes, just trying to relax.

I think I done ok, if I have done well a Distinction is possible. The dread exam Biomechanics is next week

Did you learn anything about the science of weight loss or building up endurance?

Building up endurance, is just a slow build up, pushing yourself a little more each time you adapt to your current training. Weight loss is mostly about diet, the calories used in exercise is really only a small part of the equation.

Physiology was mostly looking at the body systems on a cellular and hormonal level. 2nd semester next year I will have "exercise physiology" which will be more focussed and is the core of the degree from a physiology perspective, The biomechanics I have found to be harder especially with the level of mathematics involved but it is the direction I want to go in regards to further exercise research for strength training.

Next semester I am enrolled in "Think Health" which is an intro level Nutrition subject and a pre rec for "Active lifestyle nutrition" . "Introduction to Behavioral health" is my second subject for next semester which seems a redundant seeing as I have completed 2 psychology units already as part of my diploma including sports psychology.

Building up endurance, is just a slow build up, pushing yourself a little more each time you adapt to your current training.
I have a book here all about endurance. I'm curious to know what exactly changes in the body when it's developed. For example, today I did a 12 or so minute jog. Part of it is uphill. Earlier I had trouble with a 6 minute one.

Well done, Tru. When do your exams finish for the year?

I am part time so only 2 subjects per semester not 4, so I will be done for the year after the biomechanics exam

Back