🏋️‍♀️Science of Diet and Exercise Journal👩‍🎓

Blade smithing sounds awesome! Talk about cool family activities :eek: Also: props to Little Miss' bravery in the face of the needle.

Had a doctors appointment today, in the morning I need to have fasting blood taken. I asked doc to see if my hormone levels are contributing to my inability to drop fat. He has ordered a full blood panel, including my testosterone and IGF-1 which will be interesting considering how easy I gain muscle and strength.

pain has almost completely gone, I still need to log todays rowing,

As a family friend, my doc knows exactly how much exercise I get and how clean my diet is so understands my frustration especially considering all of my health markers in regular tests always come back as normal.

I asked doc to see if my hormone levels are contributing to my inability to drop fat. He has ordered a full blood panel, including my testosterone and IGF-1 which will be interesting considering how easy I gain muscle and strength.
Gaining muscle easily would suggest high-ish testosterone, though, right? And high testosterone ought to make it easier to lose fat.

Hormones confuse me, and I have my physiology exam on Tuesday with hormones as part of it aaargh.

yes testosterone helps to build muscle but you also need to take into account total testosterone and free testosterone and the whole soup of other hormones. IGF-1 also greatly influences the ability to gain muscle. but if the female hormones are out of balance the fat loss effect of the test an IGF-1 could be negated.

Doc is having 21 different hormones etc. tested.

Oestradiol is one used to help determine if PCOS is a possibility, other hormones on the test list help to determine the proper function of the pituitary gland which is the major control centre for the release of hormones.

I´ve never been great at the hormone stuff either. It´s like solving a math equation with several dozen variables. And some of them explode as soon as you touch them.

did not feel up for training today, very heavy day for my period on top of fasting for the bloodwork this morning and struggling to get my head into study today.

I have a worksheet from ESSA i want to replicate and modify in excel for planning out a training strategy which I think could be useful before actually writing the training program.

did not feel up for training today, very heavy day for my period on top of fasting for the bloodwork this morning
Definitely sounds like a rest day to me. Although I remember a cyclist who used to plan her speed record attempts to coincide with her periods. Can't remember if it was because she was in so much pain on those days that the extra from her legs wouldn't register anymore or if it made her so angry it helped her power up.

Your idea of a "rest" day & mine are somewhat different. It sounds like a triple whammy- heavy period, fasting & study :svengo:

Definitely sounds like a rest day to me. Although I remember a cyclist who used to plan her speed record attempts to coincide with her periods. Can't remember if it was because she was in so much pain on those days that the extra from her legs wouldn't register anymore or if it made her so angry it helped her power up.

Training during the follicular phase is beneficial for improved strength gains, so from last Thursday till around the 14 I will be able to make the most of strength training, then back it of a little and concentrate a little more on maintenance or endurance when the fatigue kicks in during the luteal phase.

Hubby cooked steak and kidney for lunch, my tracking indicated to little iron and I have been feeling it the last couple days. I could not find any liver at the shops this morning. I like liver for the great nutrient density it has and it makes up for missing out on those nutrients from other sources.

Your idea of a "rest" day & mine are somewhat different. It sounds like a triple whammy- heavy period, fasting & study :svengo:
:rotflmao: What I meant was that it sounded like a day to take a rest from training because it was already tough enough.
Training during the follicular phase is beneficial for improved strength gains, so from last Thursday till around the 14 I will be able to make the most of strength training, then back it of a little and concentrate a little more on maintenance or endurance when the fatigue kicks in during the luteal phase.
I´ve heard that before but I never really paid attention because I´m not working on a level where those things really matter but I can imagine that it makes a difference for you or the cyclist I mentioned.

Son 3 played the part of crash test dummy for the martial arts club demo at the Goldrush festival last night. There are 3 current world champions in the club.

we also watched the parade, some historic recreation stuff, a light horse demo etc. and watched a bit of the fire juggling before we left.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, I don't bite
This is a topic I've considered a lot. A lot of people with knowledge and experience are not approachable. And further, dealing with unhelpful people has set me back a ways in life. It's good you seem approachable. I wonder what your advice is on finding approachable mentors in real life. A lot of this will have to do with personality and worldview too, I find.

This is a topic I've considered a lot. A lot of people with knowledge and experience are not approachable. And further, dealing with unhelpful people has set me back a ways in life. It's good you seem approachable. I wonder what your advice is on finding approachable mentors in real life. A lot of this will have to do with personality and worldview too, I find.

I think your right in that personality has a lot to do with it. I also find a lot of academics are quite insular and have difficulty communicating with people outside their field and the general public.

There is also the money aspect, in the fitness industry I know a lot of trainer believe in not giving out too much information in an attempt to build dependence and don't explain the "why" for the training they provide. You see it a lot online with people marketing their training secrets and promising results with their "innovative new training program". A good trainer or coach will explain why they are prescribing the exercises they are giving their clients. I believe knowing why you are doing a particular exercise or training technique builds confidence and exercise compliance rather than just doing it because the trainer said so or it is a current fad.

At the end of the day their are multiple ways to achieve results, none of them are secret or special a healthy beginner can achieve a reasonable level of results with almost any moderate fitness program, it only gets complicated when health issues, injuries, age, or gender related problems come into play or the person is looking to achieve result beyond the normal eg. elite athletes who want all the benefits science can provide where a split second of time can mean the difference between winning and loosing.

I have been an athlete for a long time now, I have made a lot of mistakes as an athlete when I was younger, those mistakes, high training loads and elite competition has had a toll on my body, There is a lot I can no longer do, I no longer look like I was ever an elite athlete, If I can help prevent a younger athlete from making those same mistakes and suffering from the long term effects of those injuries while still performing at a high level I see it as success. At uni the younger students see the injuries and performance issues as theoretical, for me they are a lived experience.

I know a lot of trainer believe in not giving out too much information in an attempt to build dependence
So a good one builds independence. Good to know.
a healthy beginner can achieve a reasonable level of results with almost any moderate fitness program
The plateaus in weight loss are annoying
If I can help prevent a younger athlete from making those same mistakes and suffering from the long term effects of those injuries while still performing at a high level I see it as success
So what should I avoid? I'm not doing anything intense.

I asked doc to see if my hormone levels are contributing to my inability to drop fat. He has ordered a full blood panel, including my testosterone and IGF-1 which will be interesting considering how easy I gain muscle and strength.
That's interesting. How do hormones do that?

Back