Rob's Reboot

So glad Cam is better Rob.
Good to hear that things aren't panicky where you are. It's going to be a tough time for a lot of people in many ways. Hopefully we can all help each other through this.

I do have a habit of sitting in front of my computer screen and mindlessly eating,
Sympathies and fellow-feeling! With me, it's crackers, including rice crackers - the fairly recent discovery (I mean by me, not by humanity!) of seaweed "leaves" has been useful in this regard. Oh, and celery! :)

I'm very glad Cam is herself again.

Alert, alive...

You may have been referring to the coronavirus but this feeling on my runs is what it's all about.

Hopefully we can all help each other through this.

Wouldn't that be great?

Life is better with a dog!

Cam is so important to me. I've been realizing how much healthier I am emotionally.

With me, it's crackers, including rice crackers - the fairly recent discovery (I mean by me, not by humanity!) of seaweed "leaves" has been useful in this regard. Oh, and celery! :)

Thank you! You're right, Amy! Veggies for finger food may be the trick here. I like seaweed too and doesn't it feel good when you stumble upon those things?

You may have been referring to the coronavirus but this feeling on my runs is what it's all about.
Your description of your run triggered it for me, but it really just sums up my mood at the time.
Veggie finger food? Celery pieces, baby carrots, kohlrabi chunks, cherry tomatoes... Preferably with a drop of something oily to better absorb the nutrients.

Anyone reading and interested in learning more about cooking, The Foodist is free right now as an effort to help during the COVID-19 pandemic. Here are the details:
Hi Rob,

It's been awhile. Many of you have asked when I planned on getting back to Summer Tomato, and in my mind it's soon! The logistics have been more challenging, but I do hope to get back to at least the podcast as soon as I can.

In the meantime though, I'm stuck at home like the rest of you with no childcare, trying to figure out how to get dinner on the table every night. I'm so grateful that I have a stocked pantry (always) and know how to whip something up from basically anything.

As I sit here thinking about how I can help our global community get through these difficult times, I realize that being able to cook has never been a more essential life skill and I want to help as many people as I can.

For the rest of the month, I'll be offering my Foodist Kitchen course for free to whomever needs it. Simply use the code COVID19 at checkout.

With limited shopping options, the program won't be exactly as I intended it for you. But it will get you the fundamentals you need to be able to cook for yourself with what you have.

To join, just visit Foodist Kitchen and enter code COVID19. And please share this with anyone you think could use it.

Hope to see you there!

Cheers,
Darya

I love that! I´ve seen fitness folks offer their classes online for now as well, but I don´t know if they´re free.

We are lucky to have so much available to us online for sure. Keeping our distance from people is a lot easier when we have these tools!

I've been running quite a bit lately. This week's total miles are about 40. I found a good route I can stick to for a little bit while I continue to adjust to running outside and on pavement.

My eating is going fine. I just weighed myself and I'm at 203.

I've tried to post here a few times but I get distracted and then busy. I track calories several days but not every day.

Glad to hear you´re feeling/doing better. How´s the back holding up to the increased running?

My back area is OK now but my left knee/leg pain started again. I could feel it a little bit yesterday too. I made it about 8 miles but I was clenching everything toward the end, hands in tight fists, shoulders scrunched, my mind consumed with the thought of it stopping me again.

Pretty sure it's because I'm not doing my strengthening routine because the gym's closed. It was 8 or 9 days ago since I last did any strengthening exercises. I figured out a way to do reverse hypers using my kitchen peninsula. I'm not 100% sure the reverse hypers are the solution but this is an opportunity to systematically try different exercises. It's either pull across planks, band walks, stability ball pike, or the reverse hypers (or a combination). I hope I can quickly resolve it because I don't want to stop running right now and I don't have access to any alternative exercise equipment.

I have a question for you, this weekend I decided to hike rather than go to the gym for my weight training. I was supposed to do legs, so it seemed to me to be similar. But after reading what you said about strengthening exercises I am not sure I made the right choice. It is hard for me to do both leg weight things and a good uphill hike on the same day. What are your thoughts?

Clenching your fists at the end doesn't sound good. Hope you can figure out how not to have that happen again.

I made it about 8 miles but I was clenching everything toward the end, hands in tight fists, shoulders scrunched, my mind consumed with the thought of it stopping me again.
I know you have your own ideas about this but I would advise you to stop running and start walking before you reach this point. When you're tightening all your muscles coordination goes out of the window.

I know you have your own ideas about this but I would advise you to stop running and start walking before you reach this point. When you're tightening all your muscles coordination goes out of the window.

Hey LaMa, Thanks. I probably should have started walking but I was so close to the end, I pushed it a little. I'm curious, what compels you to share this perspective? I'm genuinely curious. Is it all the people you've seen who've been injured for no good reason or because they were being careless?

I haven't had much luck with medical help so I don't really listen anymore and I try to figure it out for myself. Like this last injury is a perfect example of what goes wrong time and again. I spent 1k or more, my insurance is bugging me, I gained 20 pounds, I lost 6 months of solid activity and I was sent down a blind alley by people who supposedly know what they're talking about. I figured out for myself that the reverse hypers work the best (my run today went better BTW). I started to feel better about two weeks after I started them. So, honestly I struggle a lot to just blindly follow health advice especially if it's not specific. I tune out the general warnings until I know more specifically what the concern is. It's just been my experience. Maybe one day I'll be rich and can afford the doctors who know what they're talking about but right now, I'm the one with the best data. I have first hand experience of what's happening with me so I'm going to listen to me first, always. Sorry, none of this is directed at you and I have a long history and a lot of baggage with the health care system. I just don't think anyone can honestly look at my situation and not agree with where I'm coming from.

:rant:

Again, nothing to do with you or anybody here. Just venting.

Back