Rob's Reboot

This is not me speaking as a therapist (because I can´t see or test you) but it sounds like what my back does when the muscles are cramping up after/under prolonged low-grade stress. For me rest and light muscle relaxation exercises (anything that´ll improve local circulation without being strenuous, something like lying on my back with my hips/knees bent and making small rocking motions with my pelvis in all 3 possible directions, or even just gentle stretching) tend to help.

Thanks, LaMa. I will try that. I have done some foam rolling and it seems to make a little difference. I haven't addressed it in full earnest tbh because it's more annoying than interfering with anything. Trying to recognize and change that behavior more.

I'm trying hard not to dwell on the news but it is hard when we all have so much more time on our hands. Exercise is helping me too. I hope your nephew is ok, Rob.

Thanks, Cate. I've been playing lots of chess lately. Helps pass the time and keeps my mind occupied.

Maybe it's time I learned to play chess. I might try online first. Then I can play chess with the grandkids when this is all over. They love chess.

Thanks, Amy! My nephew tested negative so that was a relief.

I'm doing pretty well with my runs. I'm feeling a little fatigued although my physical conditioning is improving a lot and my resting heart rate has been steadily dropping. I think it's just part of adjusting still. I feel tired all over and my run yesterday kind of hurt, like the ground was too hard (more so than usual). I'll rest for a third day today I think and only get in 32 miles this week. Hopefully the rest will lead to further strengthening.

Everything else is going well but I don't like being stuck inside my house.

My nephew tested negative so that was a relief.
That is a great relief, Rob. Also glad you're resting when you think you should.
I spent most of yesterday either in a medical centre or in A & E in a hospital & wish I could stay at home today & tomorrow & the next day..... It feels so much safer.

I'll rest for a third day today I think and only get in 32 miles this week. Hopefully the rest will lead to further strengthening.

Everything else is going well but I don't like being stuck inside my house.

The rest sounds like a good plan. Do you still get out on walks when you are taking a break from your runs?

This isolation/sticking to one's house can sure be a challenge. I know it has been for me even though i really like my place and even have a nice garden space at mine. I feel for people who are in small apartments in big cities especially if there is more than one person. I'd go crazy!!I hope your place is at least a good one for you.

Hope the rest does the trick. It often does! I´m getting sick of not being outside in nature as well but... that´s just how it is right now.

The rest has felt good. It's weird but that feeling finally broke and I feel like I'm gaining strength again this morning and afternoon. I may skip again today or just go for a long walk instead. I guess 40 miles a week is a lot for me. I've never really run that much before in my life so I guess it makes sense. I am paying attention here too, to how I have progressed and how I will adjust long-term. It feels right and the running is just miraculous for me. Just look at my posts. Three months ago, I was still really upset about my injury and trying to work through that. It's the running and that switch to frozen fruit to deal with my refined sugar and other junk food cravings.

Do you still get out on walks when you are taking a break from your runs?

This isolation/sticking to one's house can sure be a challenge. I know it has been for me even though i really like my place and even have a nice garden space at mine. I feel for people who are in small apartments in big cities especially if there is more than one person. I'd go crazy!!I hope your place is at least a good one for you.

I try to and Cam enjoys it when I do. I like my home too. I am lucky and have a nice big house to myself with a fenced backyard and quiet neighbors.

I´m getting sick of not being outside in nature as well but... that´s just how it is right now.

Yes, I am accepting too. It is what it is for now, and better for us all in the long-run.

I'm glad about your nephew. :) And that's brilliant about
how I have progressed... It feels right and the running is just miraculous for me. ... the running and that switch to frozen fruit to deal with my refined sugar and other junk food cravings.
Absolutely brilliant to see such a clear demonstration of what makes a difference! Thank you.

I may skip again today or just go for a long walk instead.
That's great that you are listening to your body, Rob.
Your house sounds nice. I'm glad that you at least have a nice place to be during this time. Probably extra nice to have Cam around too I imagine.

It probably would have been better for me to run yesterday. I ended up over-eating last night. There's a balance there that I'm not quite getting.

There's some next level I'd like to get to but I'm not quite sure what it is. I still have a mindset of beating myself up, running farther, restricting calories more and I'm just living with binge-exercise cycles, extreme food selection, disrupted sleep. I can figure out a better way here... I think it's about listening more to what my body is telling me. I want some spontaneity and less rigor and structure because that's the stress that leads to overeating. At the same, I'm not sure if I have healthy enough habits enough of the time to keep my weight under control and enjoy moderate exercise. More balance is needed with perhaps a wider range of activities that I enjoy so I don't feel overrun.

That sounds eminently sensible. Just remember that balance is hard and so is finding new paths. It´s normal to struggle with these things, especially after years of not having them. So maintain that sense of compassion.

Got in a run but only went 6 miles. It felt fantastic. The ground was not so hard and the weather was nice. I walked Cam another 2 miles. Here's a picture of her. Cate I think asked about one.

IMG_2150.jpg

Just remember that balance is hard and so is finding new paths. It´s normal to struggle with these things, especially after years of not having them. So maintain that sense of compassion.
Excellent advice from LaMa.
Got in a run but only went 6 miles. It felt fantastic. The ground was not so hard and the weather was nice. I walked Cam another 2 miles. Here's a picture of her. Cate I think asked about one.

View attachment 32687
So glad you got in a run & felt great. Cam is just gorgeous. I have been keeping an eye out for a rescue dog & have the word out online. Look at that look :beating:

That sounds eminently sensible. Just remember that balance is hard and so is finding new paths. It´s normal to struggle with these things, especially after years of not having them. So maintain that sense of compassion.

Great thoughts, LaMa! Thank you.

-----------------------

Today was nice. I'm starting a new job a week from tomorrow so my routine will change drastically. Now's a good time to implement bigger behavior changes and good habits too. I'll be working remotely for now but I'll eventually be going into the office most days. Feels almost silly right now in some ways at the peak of this pandemic. I have a lot of mixed feelings.

I have ideas I'm trying to get to stick. I really don't like restricting. It makes me feel powerless and trapped but there's no getting around controlling the total calories in. I passed the point where there's a distinction between restricting and just not eating as much, a long time ago. I have been so used to binge-restrict/exercise cycles, I still don't know where my cut off point is intuitively. I avoid triggers by eating all healthy food and I'm OK with that even though I don't have a lot of variety.

Feeling a little tired right now.

Calories in/out sum: -777
Macros: 43-26-30

Thanks for the Cam picture, a great dog by all appearances. Can Cam run with you? I once had a neighbor who was a marathon runner, he had a greyhound to run with him. Said that most dogs can't run long distances.

Changing jobs right now is interesting, is this for the same employer, or are you changing?

More Cam love. And about the healthy food: maybe you could plan to scour the internet for a healthy new recipe once a week and make it? Not everything will be great but over time your repertoire will expand.

Back