Rob's Reboot

Run felt great today. I went another 8 miles. My knee is feeling slightly better but it's uneven. The reverse hypers are making a direct difference. I think I can strengthen that tissue again pretty quickly since it was just starting to hurt after 8 days or so without the exercises.

I'm eating well. I'm waiting for the conditioning to take over because I've run a good amount in the past couple of weeks. I can see it in my face and feel it in my waist and it feels good but I'm expecting to lost more. I think I was 204 this morning so I'm not really dropping in weight and my calories are down to about 2500 or 3k. I burn about 1k to 1.5k so I'm in a bit of a deficit.

Anyway, I'm hopeful again that I can get the sciatic knee pain under control again and prevent it for good. It's early though and I just started back so I could still be wrong. We'll see.

Hope everyone's doing well.

We're doing well thanks, Rob & it's great to hear that you are too.

I fully understand you're sceptical and your own experience is indeed one of the most valuable tools in anyone's tool kit. I really only commented because the way you described it sounded like you ignored your body's signals. Going further than you know you should because you enjoy being back in the saddle again is indeed a common cause of reinjury both in my experience and officially. But exercise avoidance because of fear is also something that often leads to injuries hurting for longer than neccessary or even new sources of pain appearing. Sometimes it's a fine line, especially at first, but if you can manage it for a bit you get more leeway.

It's been another 2 days and I've been out on the road running. I do about 8 miles every time. Weather's been pretty good and my leg is holding up. The pain is receding back to my hip area like where it was before I stopped the exercises I was doing.

I have had a lot of work stress lately so just trying to get through these situations but I'm getting through them OK.

Food is good. I had a difficult day yesterday. I think the running was catching up with me and I was in too much of a deficit so I ate too much. Not really a binge, just too much. Boy, I often think about how far I've come and how long this has taken to overcome but I feel like I'm getting better, much much better with eliminating the binges. It's all dying out and the replacement of refined sugar with frozen fruit helped a lot. I feel like I have more improvement to make but I'm so much better than I was a year ago and even at the end of last year in the middle of that injury and still bingeing on junk food.

Running works wonders for me. I don't know where I'm at weight-wise. I feel like I'm carrying too much in my mid-section.

I fully understand you're sceptical and your own experience is indeed one of the most valuable tools in anyone's tool kit. I really only commented because the way you described it sounded like you ignored your body's signals. Going further than you know you should because you enjoy being back in the saddle again is indeed a common cause of reinjury both in my experience and officially. But exercise avoidance because of fear is also something that often leads to injuries hurting for longer than neccessary or even new sources of pain appearing. Sometimes it's a fine line, especially at first, but if you can manage it for a bit you get more leeway.

Thanks, LaMa. I get it. It’s great advice. My recent right knee lcl pain, for which I now wear a brace, happened bc I was too eager. The experience I share here is biased by my overly analytic and self-critical mind.

Boy, I often think about how far I've come and how long this has taken to overcome but I feel like I'm getting better, much much better with eliminating the binges. It's all dying out and the replacement of refined sugar with frozen fruit helped a lot. I feel like I have more improvement to make but I'm so much better than I was a year ago and even at the end of last year in the middle of that injury and still bingeing on junk food.
That's great to hear and I'm so glad your leg is getting better as well!

The experience I share here is biased by my overly analytic and self-critical mind.
Not the way I would describe your mind, but your experience and analytical thought are appreciated.

Good to hear that you have improved on the binge thing. That is an accomplishment.

I love reading things from your analytical mind, with mysterious terms like "reverse hypers" scattered liberally throughout! :)

I'm very glad things are going so well for you.

I'm continuing enjoying running outside. Last week I ran another 40 miles. I stopped most of my pre-run exercises I used to do at the gym and have a modified my warm-up. I feel pretty good but I think I'm still adjusting to the mileage and running outside. I think it may take up to a few more weeks at about 40 miles per week. We'll see how I feel. My knee is holding up now that I'm doing the reverse hypers. I have some bands that I just started using to re-strengthen my hips and glutes. My lower back bothers me and my spine is tingly. I'm watching it.

Food is going well. The running helps so much and I'm just letting it take it's course and just trying to get the right kind of nutrition. I don't eat any poor quality foods but I will still sometimes overeat. My weight is fluctuating a lot because of the runs. I had a low of about 201 a couple days ago and I haven't checked it since. I'd like to feel more comfortable at this mileage before I try to restrict further.

Things are little bit stressful for me still but I'm managing. I hope in a couple months time, things will settle down although I'm quite uncertain with the COVID-19 situation.

Congrats on being down 53 lbs since you started your first diary, Rob. That is excellent.
I'm glad you are managing your work stress. The Covid-19 stress has got to me at the moment & I am going to try to have a day off dwelling on it if I can. Take care, Rob.

Thanks, Cate!

Congrats on being down 53 lbs since you started your first diary, Rob. That is excellent.

Thanks! I was down to 185 in October and then the injury got to be too much and I lost it. I'm not really measuring from that point anymore though. It's an iterative process for me, like most improvements. I have the opportunity for a mental refresh in a way with each iteration. I've mentioned before, I'm a big believer in new beginnings. Indeed I've had many. When I started this thread, I was around 210 so I'm down a little bit from that point. More importantly though, is that I'm feeling healthier again because I'm able to run and that's building momentum for me. We'll see where this goes. I'd like to get more time running in before I tackle the weight more aggressively. I'm still having trouble sleeping a full amount as well. It's getting a little better.

I'm continuing to improve in all ways with the running. It makes such a difference. Yesterday, I started out a little easier and that helped with feeling better throughout the run. I can tell I'm adjusting to the terrain more so now than in the beginning. I have pressure pain in my lower right back. This is different than the disc issues I believe. I think it's a muscle strain or pull but doesn't really seem to be going away. It's not really painful but I can feel something. I'm keeping an eye on it.

The news is bothering me quite a bit. I have a nephew who may have COVID-19. There's not much I can do so I'm just trying to stay positive and busy.

I have pressure pain in my lower right back. This is different than the disc issues I believe. I think it's a muscle strain or pull but doesn't really seem to be going away.
This is not me speaking as a therapist (because I can´t see or test you) but it sounds like what my back does when the muscles are cramping up after/under prolonged low-grade stress. For me rest and light muscle relaxation exercises (anything that´ll improve local circulation without being strenuous, something like lying on my back with my hips/knees bent and making small rocking motions with my pelvis in all 3 possible directions, or even just gentle stretching) tend to help.

I'm continuing to improve in all ways with the running. It makes such a difference. Yesterday, I started out a little easier and that helped with feeling better throughout the run.
That sounds really good.
The news is bothering me quite a bit. I have a nephew who may have COVID-19. There's not much I can do so I'm just trying to stay positive and busy.
I'm trying hard not to dwell on the news but it is hard when we all have so much more time on our hands. Exercise is helping me too. I hope your nephew is ok, Rob.

Back