Our non scale victories

Rob suggested I start a thread that reflects on changes that have come about from losing weight . The most obvious is a drop on the scales but there are many others . I have lots but for today as I mentioned in Robs diary I used to hobble out of bed in the morning . Every step hurt . My ankles were swollen and painful. I thought tbh it was arthitis but it turned out it was the load I carried about . This morning I got out of bed , briskly went down let the dog out , did a few chores and flew back up to get ready for the day and I never even thought about ankle pain .
So if you are struggling with weight loss just don’t think about the scales , think about other little non scale benefits .

For me has been the journey to self acceptance. For as long as I can remember I have always had weight issues - which mainly stemmed from people making fun of my weight. I then managed to lose the weight at the age of 12 taking on Jane Fonda workouts. I lost so much weight and become super skinny. I always looked sickly. I loved my new look but then, people didn't stop making fun of me. Actually, let me be honest it was mostly my mum making fun of my weight. If she found me admiring myself in the mirror she would always make a snide comments about how I looked. In my early 20s, I decided to add back the weight because I hated the fact that I looked like a 15 year old. It was hard but I managed. Now in my 30s, the weight keeps increasing. I want to lose it again but it has become so challenging with a busy lifestyle. Staying motivated as well is soo difficult as well. I am learning to find the balance in food and exercise, embracing my body type. Slowly but surely, I will accomplish my goals and while I do it, I will learn to accept and love myself.

Last edited:
Hi, darlingecho & welcome to the forum. If you would like some moral support may I suggest starting a diary in this forum? The link is here- https://weight-loss.fitness.com/forums/weight-loss-diary.9/
Almost everyone in the forum is trying to be as healthy as they can be & are positive & encouraging. We don't encourage any fad diets or pills.
Sometimes it just helps to feel that you have a cheer squad behind you.
Slowly but surely, I will accomplish my goals and while I do it, I will learn to accept and love myself.
I love this!

Love these! Here are some of mine:

1) Being able to get into a strange car without worrying whether the seat belt is long enough.
1a) Not having to pull the seat belt so far that it triggers the child restraint feature and stops extending.
1b) Not having the car lean severely to one side when I get in.

2) Being able to shop for clothes at regular department stores.

3) Being able to tie my shoes while standing (although I still have to exhale to do it).

4) Being able to put on my pants without sitting down.

5) Not having to check every chair for tight legs & general soundness before sitting down (I need a sign that says "it has been X days since the last surprise destruction of a chair").

6) Seeing some muscle definition.

7) Fitting into *most* restaurant booths

8) Fitting into cruise ship shower stalls

9) Not breaking a bicycle spoke every 50 miles.

10) PG13:
Being able to see my junk without a mirror

Yet to come:

Being able to use a 1 person kayak rather than having to go solo in a tandem.

Being able to book the cheapest airline without having to look at seat dimensions or extra-ticket policies.

Not automatically assuming something is wrong when an unknown member of the opposite sex looks at me.

here's mine so far ♥:

-being able to shop anywhere & find your size for virtually all the clothes you like
-having more stamina, not getting tired as easily and effortlessly do stuff like running up the stairs without being that out of breath or feeling weighed down
-less giggle
-no more chub rub
-feeling a lottt more confident & being a lot more attractive
-pull off clothes more (not saying thicker people can't dress well or anything)
-feeling light
-being happier
-sleeping better
-no more muffin top
-stretch marks kinda faded
-not liking sweet food that much anymore & being full from nothing. also liking real food more
-can put rings on now without them being stuck and have like the fat 'burst' on the sides. same with bracelets. also not breaking your chockers every 2 times because your neck is so fat
-collarbones are out, have the begginings of a thigh gap, thin ankles & wrists, can see my hip bones, no more double chin, flat stomach, exc..
-don't have to sit down while taking a shower after a while
-not being as tired

I wore a size L polo shirt today, although I'm pretty sure the labeled size was meant more to soothe the ego because I really should be on the smaller end of XL:

600-size-chart.jpg

That's great Err! Of course different clothing manufacturers define sizes differently, its a range. Still for you getting into anybody's size large is a real accomplishment. And it won't be long before you can fit into most any large, and smaller!

I never thought I would get below a large, but most of the shirts I wear now are mediums. In a few labels I still wear a large, mostly some winter shirts I use as outer layers. And I have a few mediums that are too tight and probably never will fit (a few of my mediums are pretty baggy also). I still have some old 6 xl shirts - there was a day I could not fit into anything as "small" as a 4 xl.

Welcome to the "normal" sizes club!

here's mine so far ♥:

-being able to shop anywhere & find your size for virtually all the clothes you like
-having more stamina, not getting tired as easily and effortlessly do stuff like running up the stairs without being that out of breath or feeling weighed down
-less giggle
-no more chub rub
-feeling a lottt more confident & being a lot more attractive
-pull off clothes more (not saying thicker people can't dress well or anything)
-feeling light
-being happier
-sleeping better
-no more muffin top
-stretch marks kinda faded
-not liking sweet food that much anymore & being full from nothing. also liking real food more
-can put rings on now without them being stuck and have like the fat 'burst' on the sides. same with bracelets. also not breaking your chockers every 2 times because your neck is so fat
-collarbones are out, have the beginnings of a thigh gap, thin ankles & wrists, can see my hip bones, no more double chin, flat stomach, exc..
-don't have to sit down while taking a shower after a while
-not being as tired
Great list AB! Makes me feel good just reading it. You must be pretty pleased with yourself! You should be.

I'm pretty sure the labeled size was meant more to soothe the ego because I really should be on the smaller end of XL
Pre-covid I was shopping for t-shirts and in the same store I tried one that was too small in XL and one that fit in S. And once I was trying to find a specific shirt in H&M and ended up with a 42 that was larger than the 44 I'd tried earlier. Sizing not only varies enormously across brands (which started out as a vanity thing right after mass-production made "universal" sizing systems necessary but is now also a size snobbery thing for more expensive brands), the extremely low investment in production cost for most brands also means a lot of variety can occur. Still: seeing that number change feels good!

wanted to add a few because i've noticed so many changes lately (lost about 20lbs since my last past on this thread : )) )
so:

- thin arms
- i feel a bit more confident & happier
- bigger thigh gap : )
- the pretty line thing down your back idk what you call it (not talking about the spine)
- very visible hip bones (in a good way)
- i don't feel hungry often anymore & i find that i actually have to force myself to eat most of the time to get enough calories
- can eat junk & sweets without overreating
-idk what you call it but the line thing that goes down between your ribs
- almost totally flat stomach unless i'm bloated
-i feel lighter
-i can wear almost everything i want in public now without feeling horrible & super insecure
- really out there collarbones : )
-very sharp jawline
-thinner & smaller face
-no double chin
-hips dips are a lot less noticeable ironically
- i'm also a S now for tops : )) and a SM for bottoms

Last edited:
feel a bit more confident & happier
Probably the best one! Good list Angel, congrats, you deserve it.

Back