Omega's new journey - time to do it again...

I havent posted for a while - but thought that it was time for a posting...

I had a low weight today of 12st 13.75 which was just enough to get to the ticker target that I've been aiming for for the past few months. My last ticker target was to get a weight out of the teens and under 13 stone gets me there.

Time to set a new ticker goal weight which I'm setting for the weight which gives me a BMI of 29.9. I'm going to aim to be overweight...

Well done, Margaret :)

Its been a sticky time recently. In lots of ways its quite good to have trod water (which is basically all I've done). I've been stuck at in much the same place for over a month and made negligible progress.

We had a month with gyms, pubs and restaurants and all non-essential shops shut. We exited into tier 3 which meant that the non essential shops could re-open and gyms could reopen but no classes in the gyms. Pubs and restaurants are still shut.

Still no option to visit friends' homes.

In addition we have had some more medical news about my husband to get our heads around. It is yet another department at the hospital which will be keeping an eye on him (and taking action) with regular appointments (probably for the rest of his life).

One of our properties has gone into void. The tenants have moved out so we are currently busy trying to turn it around. We are having to sort out the problems left by the previous tenants. Things like their pet having destroyed various carpets... We also need to find suitable new tenants. This is easier said than done as there are plenty of applicants - but it makes sense to only accept those that can pass referencing so that you can ensure the tenancy. New laws mean that it is harder than ever to evict a bad tenant and insurance has increased in price dramatically with much lower cover.

I am still having to do all the driving.

My mother is still doing well. It is a big responsibility having a 98 year old in the house.

On the positive side - my husbands' weight loss is continuing to go very well. This is really important to us both. He is now the lowest weight that he has been in almost 30 years.

Ahead of lockdown we moved some furniture into storage and have created a home gym. We bought a Nautilus recumbent bike and have just this week taken delivery of a Reebok treadmill. We love the bike - but are finding the treadmill annoying. In normal times we would send it back and get another - but these are not normal times. We would probably have to wait a long time for delivery of another.

Hey Margaret, LaMa is right you are doing very well for someone with so much going on! Being in the 12 st bracket is really good.

I used to have rentals, but gave up trying to deal with tenants, it is a tough way to make any money. Hope you can get the place fixed and rented to someone reliable soon. Good luck with your husband and mother, sounds like a lot to worry about, particularly right now.

Time for a diary update...

From a weight loss perspective things haven't been going too well for me recently... I'm still a couple of pounds above my pre-Christmas low weight. To be honest - lockdown in winter has been pretty tough and I cannot really claim to feel that I deserve better than maintenance - the only problem is that my weight is far from ideal... Still - it is noticeably better than a year ago (and not terribly obese) - so things could be a lot worse...

It is over three months since we were allowed to meet up with friends - even with social distancing - and I do find it getting to me...

There have been a couple of positive events this year.

The first was that my mother got her first Astra Zeneka vaccination about three weeks ago so should have a decent amount of protection now. The UK policy is to leave 12 weeks between vaccinations in order to maximise the number of people which have some form of protection.

Rod and I are in category 6 so we are still waiting to be vaccinated..

The second really positive thing that has happened is that Rod got a letter yesterday which said that he is allowed to drive again. This is really wonderful news as it means that we can finally put Rod's medical problem last February behind us.

In November he was told that he is likely to need an operation in the next few years that will stop him driving for a couple of months... It all means that I accept that I have to continue doing some level of driving - but it is brilliant that I do not have to do it all.

Rod has now lost 128.5 pounds over the past year. I am very proud of how much he has accomplished.

I think it's really good that you can find the positives, Margaret. Your Mum getting her vaccination, Rod being able to drive again, you not having to drive all of the time & him having lost all of that weight in a year. That is awesome. I think you & I are at a similar place weight-wise. It's hard to get back into gear, but we must. I don't like feeling so uncomfortable.

I am very proud of how much he has accomplished.
I hope you're a little proud of yourself as well, for getting so far out of your comfort zone with the driving and for keeping your weight mostly under control while the world went mad. That's not easy!

Wow I think both you and your husband should be incredibly proud of yourselves with the weight loss!!

Great news about your husband being able to get back to driving too. Sorry to hear the isolation is getting to you, but yes, excellent to stay focused on the positives.

Thanks for the birthday greetings :)

My birthday was pleasant in that Rod and I went out for a meal at a restaurant that we like and found some quite nice weather (nicer than at home).
We had intended to go to a National Trust property - but couldn't get there due to gridlocked traffic.

Social dancing had been forbidden for 16 months - but was allowed to take place from 19th July. There is not a lot on (and what is on tends to have limited numbers to allow for more distancing). We managed to get out dancing on both the day before (the Sunday) and the day after (Tuesday).

We really enjoyed dancing.

The week has not however been a total success however. Zumba at the gym was not allowed this week (I normally do Monday and Friday and see friends there) - but the gym was closed for both this week and last week due to staff members having the virus or being in isolation.

In addition, we went out walking in the countryside on Thursday and had a fall where I hit my head. I had to spend half a dozen hours by myself in A&E at my local hospital (while Rod had to wait in the car) getting checked out. My face is now very badly bruised and swollen. I ordered extra large sunglasses which arrived in the post today. They hide the black and blue area - but not all the swollen or discoloured area.

I was very lucky as I didn't break anything or get concussion.

I have been taking it pretty easy since then - so minimal step counts for a few days.

I will go dancing on Tuesday and hope to go to zumba on Monday. I will feel very comfortable in both environments.
It is just like the thing as I have the opportunity to go dancing on Sunday and Monday but have decided to give it a miss as both are in environments where I am less at home - and I do not feel like mixing too much with strangers until my face looks more normal. You could say that I am picking my battles.

Glad you enjoyed your birthday. I hope you heal quickly, Margaret. I had a fall a few weeks ago & it took well over a week to come right. Salsa back? Yay! You'll be back into it in no time :) Meanwhile, resting sounds like a very good idea. Your signature had me scratching my head until I realised it probably meant "no longer technically obese".

Thanks girls :)

Yes - it would be nice to have a weight which is not technically obese - but in reality I have been totally treading water since December. A perfect example of maintenance - never straying more than a couple of pounds from a single figure... The only problem is that it isn't the weight that I would ideally like. With my history - stability is a reasonable outcome though... Especially under the circumstances.

I have glanced up the page to my update in February. Rod ended up needing the pacemaker operation in February... It ended up needing to be done as an urgent procedure when the latest heart monitoring results came in - 7 second gaps at times in his heart signalling meant that we got the phone call on the Monday, pre-op assessment on the Tuesday and into hospital for the op on the Wednesday. Lockdown wasn't the best time for him to go into hospital to have it done (no visitors and high virus levels in the hospitals - so he double masked while he was there) but it got done ok. It ended up that he was only barred from driving for a week for that. Once we knew the extent of the signalling problem it was very reassuring to get it done and in place.

There was more stress when Rod and I had our jabs as we got ours about two days after the whole AZ causes blood clots controversy in news hit the headlines... Naturally we were concerned as Rod has a history of blood clots - but we were convinced to go ahead. We had both jabs of AZ to no avail.

Zumba came back in May and we have been doing that as often as possible - either 3 or 4 times most weeks.

The only salsa that has been allowed between May and a week ago has been couples tuition in marked out mini dance floors - where you only dance with a bubble member. I have been going with my friend Tanya (who is in our bubble as she lives alone and her family are at the other end of the country).

That must have been such a scary time! Glad to hear Rod made it through ok. Can he feel a difference in energy levels?

I seem to hop from one scary situation to the next. Permanently stressed! Its not helping me knuckle down to making any weight loss progress.

Rod is doing brilliantly though - which in many ways counts such a lot more.

He certainly is fitter - but it is hard to say how much is due to the pace maker and how much is due to the weight that he has lost. He has now lost about 148 pounds since his health problems in February last year just before lockdown. He just gets fitter and fitter all the time :party:

Oh wow, that's another great thing!

Back