New Job - TOTALLY Freakin' Out!

Oh god NEITHER - I'm in private practice (though, I do give props to prosecutors/defense attorneys who do their job well. That sh$t ain't no joke).

I don't mean to keep beating a dead horse, but it's helping me emotionaly to air out all my work related dirty laundry here.

So...one thing that I didn't mention is that one partner that I work with regularly is a complete and total f'ing a-hole. He's rude, he yells and he insults me and co-workers in an underhanded, freakin' pompous typical senior lawyer type style.

There are at least three specific instances when he insulted my intelligence in one week for things that either weren''t my fault or if it was my fault, still didn't warrant the rude comments. There was one thing that wasn't even a mistake but he just felt like venting and I guess he chose me as his b$tch of the moment.

I made the decision today that I'm going to start defending myself against his rude comments and yelling. Maybe that will make things better at work because he'll realize that I'm not his doormat and he can't walk all over me. I gotta establish myself as someone that is not gonna take his sh$t, regardless of his senior position. This has happened with every legal job I've had...just took me a while to figure it out since I've been out of the loop while in school.

Hey man, thanks for the response.

I'm about to eat but I'll check out the chat room in a few. Hopefully you (and some others) will still be there.

Hey oppa, there are definitely good things about my occupation that I should be happy about. For a while I was just freakin' out all the time and ended up losing sight of those things. Anyway, thanks for the friendly reminder and compliment! Haha...I've never heard that a J.D. could be sexy. :)

Otherwise, things have significantly improved. I started defending myself and instantly grew the thicker skin that I used to have. I'm guessing that I earned respect from my peers and more senior co-workers because I'm no longer treated like the resident pushover. Who knows - maybe that jerk as testing me. Overall, the past few weeks have been really good and I've had to opportunity to do some really interesting work. :beerchug:

thats great Aeon, im really happy for your accomplishments. JD is sexy, look at mine im just BSBA lol.

aslong as you're not the kind of laywer helping people sue others because they burned themselves on their coffe, or because they killed their own cat by trying to dry it in the microwave, I'm good :p :D

Just gotta breathe

Listen man, everyone gets stressed over a new job. So many unknowns! What you have to realize is that there are just as many unknowns for the people you are working for. You have a clean slate. They don't know what to expect at this point. Good luck and just breathe. The best face you can give them is one that is relaxed and focused. You may also want to try doing some yoga or meditation.

Back