New Job - TOTALLY Freakin' Out!

Hey Guys,

I don't really know why I'm posting this but I gotta vent!!! I'm having some MAJOR stress issues with my new job. I actually just started last week and I've found that I spend the majority of the day totally and completely overwhelmed.

Here's a bit more detail:

I work primarily with two supervisors whose training style is to just throw you out there. They tell me a tiny bit about the project and then tell me to get to it. My co-workers tell me that these two supervisors want people to "figure things out before you ask questions and take a shot at the task BEFORE asking questions." I usually like this style of learning because it allows me to be creative and hey, if I make mistakes, it's just part of the learning process. But, there is just so little information given to me for each project that I'm literally scrambling to do as much research as possible, ask my co-workers and "give it my best shot" w/in a reasonable time. And, I get totally freaked out in the process. I skipped lunch the other day - just felt like I couldn't stop working.

I'm a a bit high strung in general and I HATE making mistakes so of course, I just need to calm the heck down (step one). But...I'm still at the point where I am nervous all day and totally stressed. I'm also too embarrassed to talk openly to the partners because I don't want to seem weak or that I'm not up to the challenge (my job is in an historically male dominated, old school industry so I just feel extra pressure - could be in my head but it's there regardless).

Anyone been in this position? I don't know what the hell I want to hear. Tell me I'm being an idiot or tell me to go masturbate or something! Seriously, I just need some tuff love or words or wisdom to snap out of this funk so I can enjoy the little bit of the weekend that's left! :(

Last edited:
I would say that with any new job you're going to be somewhat stressed, that seems pretty natural. Try not to waste your weekend worrying about it though, as you know that's not going to help. Now go masturbate! Or , better yet, find someone to do it for you! ;)

LOL! you're funny. Yeah, but maybe you are right -- that would definitely be a stress reliever.

Otherwise, I know it won't help to agonize over this but I'm doing it anyway. I am embarrassed to say but I have a super irrational fear of judgment when it comes to my work product. I don't mind receiving corrections but I hate not knowing what the heck I'm doing. A certain level of stress is normal but I know I'm taking it to another level. I've worked with so many a-holes that I think I may be a little traumatized. I've actually spent half the day doing research on a project I'm working on tomorrow just so that I won't have to waste time doing it at work.

Ok, I'll really, really try to relax. Thanks for your response (I think...j/k) :D

Also, good luck in the next 5 days until you see your gf! There's a lot of "freaky" talk on the forum today!

Otherwise, I know it won't help to agonize over this but I'm doing it anyway.
Yeah, It's easy to tell someone not to stress out and not to worry about it, but of course we all do agonize about things sometimes

I don't mind receiving corrections but I hate not knowing what the heck I'm doing.
That sounds pretty reasonable and better than not giving a f*ck

Also, good luck in the next 5 days until you see your gf!

:newangel:

I am not sure how many new jobs you've had, but I've been in the work world for 30 years, and I've had hundreds - maybe thousands - of people come to work for me.

I always give them this advice - It takes three months before a job feels like 'your' job. In the beginning, its easy to feel like 'What was I thinking when I took this job'. You don't know the simplest stuff - how to get supplies, where the bathrooms are, who organizes the birthday parties - let alone what is expected of you or how to do it.

Sometimes when you hire someone, you are so desperate for help that you can't really afford to teach someone how to help you. If a new employee listens, takes good notes (never go to a meeting with a notebook and a pen, no matter how casual it might seem) and is willing to work hard, then they usually can succeed if they are working for a reasonable person.

Whenever possible, take a minute to say back to the person giving you an assignment 'What I am hearing you ask for is....' and then quickly summarize it. If you can't do that, then sending an e-mail a day or so later saying 'My understanding of the assignment is x', 'The approach I plan to take is y' and 'the information I most need to be successful is z' End with 'Let me know if this is wrong, otherwise, I'm moving forward'. Then do it. If you are on the wrong track you'll usually get feedback before you hit disaster or waste too much time.

I always suggest that whenpeople start a job, they take a calendar, go forward three months, and on that date, write 'This is my job now'. If when you get to that day it doesn't seem true, then its time to start looking, but for most people, it is true.

I started a new position two months ago, and I have to remind myself of this frequently....

Best wishes.

happysj56, thanks for your insight. I appreciate it!

Ugh...yeah, I've actually only had two full times jobs in between college and grad school this is my first "real" job after grad school. I'll try to take your advice (including the three month trick) - just sort of sucks considering it's 9:30 and i'll probably be working until midnight. It's gonna be a long a$$ three months! :(

And yes, that's a great idea to be more proactive with my supervisor in the moment. I can get more clarification that way instead of after I "wing it!" hehe...

I think the real question is: Why the hell did I did this to myself! Ahhhh!

Thanks girl. I also freakin' HOPE to get settled soon. I guess one thing I can do is get off this website and get back to work! hehe...

Thanks again, it is much appreciated.

:beerchug:

As you all know, my job freakin' sucks...

Anyone else in this predicament?

Honestly In my opinion if a jib sucks so much and you dont have to be there e.g. you could find another job I say leave. I have left jobs that I hated and in the end I have started working for myself doing a job I love. I might be looking to take on someone in the future. You know how to shape surfboards? haha:D

NBS, you are soooo freakin' right (and deep down, I know it). I'm just being a whiny b$tch.

Anyway, I just gotta suck it up and keep moving forward. I can't really stop what I'm doing at this point since I just started but it's good to remember that nothing is set is stone (Surfboards!?! Here I come!!!!). Otherwise, I willingly chose this industry knowing about the culture and the ways in which it would negatively affect my life and lifestyle so I really, really, really shouldn't complain (but, obviously complaining anyway - oops.)

Oh well. On the bright side, I got off early today! YES!

Thanks again man...

Last edited:
Can't believe I made it through a whole week at work. Today was a breeze. Hopefully this week was some freak sh$t and it'll get better.

Thanks again for your help guys...

Can I ask what you do? Besides masturbate often that is.

Yes, it's true. I do keep myself busy when I'm not masturbating.

On that note...I'm just wondering if people can tell what I do based on some of my other posts. I'm kind of reluctant to say what I do but for YOU, I'll tell all! ;)

But, before I do so, do you have a guess?

Is everyone gonna hate me now???

Hey, I'm an honest lawyer! I swear, I'm ethical and I have good intentions. :)

Back