Motivation!

My first motivation was indeed for a female but that time has passed. My one and only motivation now is that I'm going to be joining the Navy when I graduate after this last year of HS and thats all I think about when I'm exhausted and want to give up, it keeps me going.

"My continually evolving and improving personal motivational soup"

Seasoned with personal pepper and salt, as determined by the Chicken Nuggets in the soup.

:)

Chillen

I kept getting recurring dreams of my daughter being attacked, kidnapped, attacked by a dog or even shot in cross fire on a few occasions. I took it as my mind telling me that I wasn’t physically up to the job of protector so set about weight training 24 months ago with the aim of being big enough to stop a car or bullet from passing through me if I ever needed to shield her from danger.
I’m about 50lbs heavier now and this Fathers day my daughter chose a card for me that had a picture of superman on it because she says I’m her hero.
My goal now is to big enough to scare off any teenage boys before she reaches high school

For me its two things, a girl i was crazy about but was totally out of my league (now not so much;)) and most of all trying out for for the University soccer team. I know I have the skills but ive always struggled with the fitness part and since soccer is pretty much 90 minutes of jogging, running, and sprinting I have my work cut out for me.

1. For health concerns.

1A. I like being able to take off my shirt to show my scar from open heart surgery to chicks.

2. To be able to show up someone who is half my age in a triathlon.

There is no doubt my spirit would be wounded, if something would happen to my love of my entire life. I have spent my teen years, and all of my adult life with this ONE woman: My wife. She DEFINES what spirit is, and if something were to happen, she would not want me left with a wounded spirit, and this in itself, heals the spirit in advance (slightly).

I am going to post what I have posted before for those that havent seen it before (the new members, since we have a lot here lately--and this deserves a----> :))

The first one (posted in the COL):

“My self esteem was embarrassed by my parents”

During my childhood my mother words reached in and pulled out the heart and soul behind my self-esteem and self-image and stomped it; I began adulthood with a broken spirit and a ball and chain that tarnished my self esteem:

I came into this world with the umbilical cord wrapped around my neck and my face blue from lack of oxygen; I was an innocent newborn child dependent upon the outside world for my survival. I had no choice in whom my parents happened to be. I had no control on the type of environment I was brought. I had no choice but to absorb the feedback from my parents, other people, and my environment.

I was innocent and untainted. But, my upbringing tainted the untainted soul.

From the most distant memory of 5 to the age of 18, I was mentally and physically abused as a child. None of these memories have faded with time.

The concept of believing in myself “was” totally foreign to me as a child and including my teen years. My mother destroyed me; she shriveled me up like a prune; shrunk me down to a tiny ant that could be mentally killed with a quick flick of a few words; “My self esteem was embarrassed by my parents”.

Believe me when I tell you, I know much pain in my life and I turned it around. My childhood explains WHY I am the way I am. My mother took the zest for life out of me, and I had to find it. I felt worthless and ashamed of myself at 18 entering a world that would eat you alive while gnashing its teeth laughing.

I set out to put the spirit DEEP INSIDE my children. In life I try to stir it to those willing to recognize they have it, because it WAS INDEED taken from me when I was young by my mother. BUT...........I, and I only....put it back inside.

And, so can anyone else. This childhood MOTIVATES ME to prove it WRONG!
And, has all of my life.

And, the second one, I have posted this before:

"When the night comes, I will pick up the pieces."

This statement is imbedded in my heart every day. The reason I began my quest for health and fitness is a long story, but it begins with a warning from my body and ends with the love for my wife.

About 5 years ago, my wife was diagnosed with Lupus, and also has a bone condition called: Fiber Dysplasia of the front left facial bone (has had this all her life), she can carry an extra 15 pounds of water in her legs, get skin rashes, swelling of various tissues, bone pain, muscle aches and pains, severe migraines, severe sweating, to name only a few.

She has had several operations on her face where they literally shaved her front cheek bone and sinus area that continually gets blocked from the bone growth. She had one about 6 months ago, and this one was rather serious and needed to be done or she faced certain death due to the placement of the bone growth. (brief synopsis)

She never complains, and is not ashamed of herself, always puts herself last and her family first. She is always persistent: She is my idol.

Doctors say she won’t live past the age of 60. I say she will because of her heart. Whatever happens, when the night comes, I will pick up the pieces.

If you ever wondered what drives me, it’s my wife. I keep myself physically conditioned to be able one day to: cloth her, bath her, feed her, and put her to bed. I love her: She is my idol. When the night comes, I will pick up the pieces.

I must be prepared so I must keep my aging body fit for the task and not let her down or myself down.

What she lacks in beauty she makes up with her heart and soul: I love her.

I have cried and I have bled in the gym. I know the journey.

However, there is nothing I can’t bare when I look at her, that she hasn’t felt.

She is the one that boils in my heart of desire. I would do anything for her.

This one of the reasons I am who I am and act the way I do. I know I can make her life as happy with her medical condition, and want to set out to do similar things for other people. I know it can be done because I see it every day.

I see everyday what having a determined heart and soul can do to a person.

With all of her medical problems, the fire burns within. She leaves no doubt that we have it in all of us to spark the fire and overcome anything in our path of life. So I Chill mentally in this respect, thus my screen name.

She is proof that it "can be" all in the head.

She is an inspiring person to live with.

And, I leave you with:

MOTTO CRY!

No surrender!

You are an "internal team". Never wave the surrender flag "within".

Winners in our world have learned to bring out the best functions of their personal internal team, and make them work in unison with spirit and passion.

Study persons whom had physically and mentally less but accomplish more to a greater "extent" than those with more.

Much to learn. Much to educate. Much to relax and open the brain with.

Leave your view of the world "untainted" to errant ways of the self and be aware of them, to open a brand new world of self awareness.

Take your young passion and make this happen.

Remember a "wounded spirit" is far worse than a "temporaily wounded body"

There IS no greater injury than a wounded spirit.

"Feel" the rythem of the spirit inside. It cannot be measured. Let them think you are a quack with enthusiasm for life, mental health, and physical improvement, while assisting others to find theirs. THERE IS NOT ENOUGH OF IT IN THIS WORLD OF OURS!

A spirit is not made of glass. It is made of material that cannot be made by mankind but can be built in your mind.

With spirit, there IS no surrender.

From my heart to yours,

Chillen

Last edited:
My refusal to go on a drug for high cholesterol. But now that the cholesterol is in check it has become so much more. Maintaining the feeling of being 18 again. Taking my shirt off in public (to reveal my sexy hairy chest LOL)
Extremely high energy levels. Staying alive long enough to raise my 3 boys to be men.

Basically I feel so good now I want to keep it going for as long as I can.
I have my days when I don't feel like going downstairs and hitting the weights. But I tell myself "Self you'll feel so much better if you just go and punish yourself for an hour"

Some days I can't wait to get out of work so I can go lift or ride my bike. Sitting at a desk all day has causes so many problems. Lower back ache, eyestrain, lethargy etc. All of which are remedied by a work out.

I have always had an image of what I want my body to look like.

Every 1-2 weeks I notice small changes in my progress that gets me one step closer to that image. That's what keeps me motivated.

Being embaressed, high cholesterol and BP.

But most important is to be able to play with my children when we have them. To be able to go out into the yard and play catch, teach them how to ride a bike, how to swim, and how to grow up to be fine adults.

Also, my girlfriend. She has PCOS and is border line diabetic, so I want to also help her get in shape so that we can one day have a healthy happy baby and so we can live a long happy life together.

To be able to tell people..."Told ya so ;)"

Perhaps become involved in martial arts.

Motivation for me was a problem and I needed to really seek it out.

But my motivations are:

-Music
-Results
-Added self confidence
-Looking and feeling great
-Acheivement
-This forum
-Co-workers, friends, family members and others congratulating me for my results.
-Girls, duh.
-My course with ISSA...after learning what *ALL* the benits actualy are...you really have no reason to NOT workout and watch what you eat.

There are plenty more motivations for me...but you get the picture ;)

buh bye

Eric

as some have posted i was teased as a child and bullied probably more than most but thats not the worst of all. when i was little my father was a violent alcoholic and for about 5 years my mother would leave me home with him and take off because she couldnt handle the situation. inevitably I turned to food for comfort and would lock myself in my room and play video games and eat junk foof for hours because I was afraid to leave. Although by the time I was 10 my mother got a divorce the comfort food brought never ended and still hasnt to this day. I dont think there was 1 single thing that motivated me over anything else but senior year of high school at my peak weight of 285lbs, it all started with the decision to just simply stop drinking pop and I lost about 30 pounds even without excercise. As a child I never tried at anything just because of a lack of confidence. i got mediocre grades and never really tried at any sports. I still sort of suffer through periods of depression but I use workin out as a way out. Now I workout everyday cardio 7 days a week and lift 4 and ive gotten my 5mile time to about 27min( my original goal was a half hour). Chillens right about confidence because something hit me in my senior year that I cant really explain, but I finally decided to give some effort. Now i weigh 180lbs and am about to enter my senior year of college. The year after I will be attending medical school of the university of pennyslavania all because of one decision. My biggest hope is that me sharing my story with others will be the eclipse of a turning point in their lives as well ad to let them know that no matter what background with a little effort you can achieve anything.

as some have posted i was teased as a child and bullied probably more than most but thats not the worst of all. when i was little my father was a violent alcoholic and for about 5 years my mother would leave me home with him and take off because she couldnt handle the situation. inevitably I turned to food for comfort and would lock myself in my room and play video games and eat junk foof for hours because I was afraid to leave. Although by the time I was 10 my mother got a divorce the comfort food brought never ended and still hasnt to this day. I dont think there was 1 single thing that motivated me over anything else but senior year of high school at my peak weight of 285lbs, it all started with the decision to just simply stop drinking pop and I lost about 30 pounds even without excercise. As a child I never tried at anything just because of a lack of confidence. i got mediocre grades and never really tried at any sports. I still sort of suffer through periods of depression but I use workin out as a way out. Now I workout everyday cardio 7 days a week and lift 4 and ive gotten my 5mile time to about 27min( my original goal was a half hour). Chillens right about confidence because something hit me in my senior year that I cant really explain, but I finally decided to give some effort. Now i weigh 180lbs and am about to enter my senior year of college. The year after I will be attending medical school of the university of pennyslavania all because of one decision. My biggest hope is that me sharing my story with others will be the eclipse of a turning point in their lives as well ad to let them know that no matter what background with a little effort you can achieve anything.

Sorry for your childhood.

You say you run 7 days a week and "lift 4"...

I admire your courage for that but...you need rest..your body will tire and fatigue if it doesnt have rest inbetween work outs..

i dont run everyday only on the days i dont lift but i do some sort of cardio everyday I switch it up all the time i used to run everyday but i kinda developed a runners body not really my goal, as for the rest day the only time i get tired is after i lift but since i work on a different part of body every week it has time to rest as for the other cardio i dont ever get tired i just like doin, if i had the time i could spend the whole day in the gym hahaha. i took a weekend off couple of weeks ago but it didnt make a difference so I just thought well i might as well do cardio everyday if its what i like my muscles just seem to heal fast but i have a real good diet thanks to everyone on the forum so that might be why

I just think about all the benefits from my exercise/healthier diet-- stronger bones, possibility I wont have to go to the doctor so often if I gain some weight and show them I'm developing good habits, and overall improved health. Plus, I like the idea of being able to run/bike. I might need to start riding my bike instead of driving with the way gas prices are >.< . Lastly, can't forget the abs. I do want some abs.

Sorry for your childhood.

You say you run 7 days a week and "lift 4"...

I admire your courage for that but...you need rest..your body will tire and fatigue if it doesnt have rest inbetween work outs..

Keep working buddy, 11 hours a week of exercise wont kill you. Amazing how much we think we shouldnt do.

I purely started training because my husband did so it was nice to share the hobby. As i saw the results my reasons changed and i loved having a challenge. Trying to see what i could do next. What results I could get. Now its my way of life and I cant imagine not training!!!

Back