Motivation!

Motivation and actual experience are two very different things.

One can easily be motivated to going to the gym. Then when reality hits, the motivation can quickly fade. One has to become dedicated into changing his or her behavior such that there is no motivation, only desire and dedication. When you have to "motivate" yourself into doing something daily - even if one should do it for sake of health or wealth - it will quickly become a punishing task of inner conflicts and hardship.

"I know I should do this, but I really don't want to," is one thing people usually say. Then when they seek motivation, they say, "I don't know why I can't motivate myself into doing this." It's human nature at work. Everyone wants it easy, and the irony is it becomes easier the more you do it.

The problem is easy to solve: take it one day at a time, and keep an open mind. Be motivated to make yourself fit, not motivated to stay in one place. If you find yourself motivated to go to the gym, then go. Once you're there, and you can't find something you like to do, then leave. Do something else. The gym is an artificial environment, and as with any artificial it can never substitute the real thing. You can run, go for a walk, etc. Take it slowly, and try many different things. Once you try it out and like it, you'll keep doing it. Then one day you'll find you don't need to motivate yourself, you just do it. Keeping it real is what matters.

Motivation for me came in the form of high cholesterol. After 2 years I've become passionate about training. This forum also really helps me to push myself like I never have. Not sure why but it does.

Maybe because I've learned a ton.

I like this thread. :)

What motivates me at the moment is the drive to feel better about myself. The way I feel after yoga, walking, jogging, swimming or lifting weights is amazing. That feeling motivates me to do it again the next day.

I have been depressed and lonely living in a foreign country these last 2 years. Exercise is what makes me feel good. Fitting into jeans I haven't worn for 4 years makes me feel even better! :D

When I eat healthy, I feel good. When I eat crappy sugary foods, I feel awful. I can always tell by the way I wake up the next day. If I've eaten good foods I wake up feeling rested. If I eat bad foods I wake up grumpy, tired and moody.

Funny - I just found out about a 30mile Bike ride the end of June - I think I may sign up! It has free post massages etc after too-now thats worth it!

Shelly, how far can you ride at this time? What kind of bike do you have? Even if you don't ride much, you can be ready for a 30miler in 10 weeks preparation time.

Shelly, how far can you ride at this time? What kind of bike do you have? Even if you don't ride much, you can be ready for a 30miler in 10 weeks preparation time.

I have no idea - I havent rode a bike in a few years -even though I have one lol its a mountain bike-no idea what kind. And I'm guessing with all my training now that I can be ready. I gotta get those cushioney pants though :D

the mirror ....a great motivational tool.

and until i like what i see i`ll just keep going.

and when i get where i wanna be i`ll sustain that for about maybe 2 years.

then i believe i`ve earned the right to sit on my arse eating pie and get fat and old ungracefully:D

what modivates you?

What modivates you to get out and go running, cycling or whatever you do?

For me, initially it is stress relief. After I get going I see everybody else out there exercising, sweating and generally enjoying it makes me want it more.

For me, initially it is stress relief. After I get going I see everybody else out there exercising, sweating and generally enjoying it makes me want it more.

It started as stress relief and I realized I just felt better all around. I live a pretty stress filled life, it was affecting my health to the point where my doctor said I had to find ways to decrease it.

For me, medication would be a band-aid, so I started to exercise and eat healthier, and I found it made a big difference.

Knowing I am "in-charge" of my own "self-controlled" destiny.

I PISS "persistence and consistency" and Crap a "self-controlled" bad @ss!

I wrote this before, but a large portion of my passion and desire "within" is seeing the fire within another human being that has "all the reasons" to falter and render herself helpless. Instead it builds a strength within unmatched by many and few are able to reach:

"When the night comes, I will pick up the pieces."

This statement is imbedded in my heart every day. The reason I began my quest for health and fitness is a long story, but it begins with a warning from my body and ends with the love for my wife.

About 5 years ago, my wife was diagnosed with Lupus, and also has a bone condition called: Fiber Dysplasia of the front left facial bone (has had this all her life), she can carry an extra 15 pounds of water in her legs, get skin rashes, seizures, swelling of various tissues, bone pain, muscle aches and pains, severe migraines, severe sweating, to name only a few.

She has had several operations on her face where they literally shaved her front cheek bone and sinus area that continually gets blocked from the bone growth. She had one about 6 months ago, and this one was rather serious and needed to be done or she faced certain death due to the placement of the bone growth. (brief synopsis)

She never complains, and is not ashamed of herself, always puts herself last and her family first. She is always persistent: She is my idol.

Doctors say she won’t live past the age of 60. I say she will because of her heart. Whatever happens, when the night comes, I will pick up the pieces.

If you ever wondered what drives me, it’s my wife. I keep myself physically conditioned to be able one day to: cloth her, bath her, feed her, and put her to bed. I love her: She is my idol. When the night comes, I will pick up the pieces.

I must be prepared so I must keep my aging body fit for the task and not let her down or myself down.

What she lacks in beauty she makes up with her heart and soul: I love her.

I have cried and I have bled in the gym. I know the journey.

However, there is nothing I can’t bare when I look at her, that she hasn’t felt.

She is the one that boils in my heart of desire. I would do anything for her.

This one of the reasons I am who I am and act the way I do. I know I can make her life as happy with her medical condition, and want to set out to do similar things for other people. I know it can be done because I see it every day.

I hope this makes sense. And, I hope one can understand me more for what it’s worth.

Sometimes, I get criticized for my posting methods, this is to be expected; however, never doubt my sincere intentions.

I see everyday what having a determined heart and soul can do to a person.

With all of her medical problems, the fire burns within. She leaves no doubt that we have it in all of us to spark the fire and overcome anything in our path of life. She doesnt "allow" small petty things stand in way. She doesnt allow what "seems to be an obstacle hinder her life or path she chooses.

Most of my posts of the past, and the future, are built on the "premise" that persons have more ability and personal power within them then they actually "think" they do.

So I Chill mentally in this respect, thus my screen name.

Best wishes,

Chillen

Last edited:
Wow Chillen that made me teary eyed... Man that is inspiring...

But what "motivates" me is knowing i am only 15 and already have chances of heart disease. For this reason i wake up and workout, knowing that unless i sweat and hurt... I'm not doing anything to live longer...

Last edited:
Chillen,

You are an absolute champion. That is the most inspirational thing I think I have ever read and I commend you for your selflessness. If there were more people like you in the world it would be a much better place.

I wish you all the best and keep up the good work mate.

I look in the past for motivation sometimes...I used to weigh about 240-250lbs...now I am in the 190-200 range and people look at me and say that I am in great shape...but I still don't let that get to me and won't stop or take it easy until I get what I want...and what I want is to see how far I can push my mind/body...I've taken so many years to accumulate the things I know and now it's time to not let all that knowledge goto waste and apply it to everything I do.

Things that REALLY motivate me:

Music

This forum. (more than anything else, positive peer reinforcement for the win!)

The vision of me succeeding.

I want to become a trainer and my body (as someone else mentioned on this site) will be my business card, literally.

I want to feel and look like I was before high school, I was very athletic and once I hit high school I went downhill as though I was a boulder that dropped off the ledge of the grand canyon.

I want to fight. I have always wanted to fight...not because of violence or any stupid reason like that but because I believe it's the single most effective way of finding just how the mind and body works together. It's a way to see how you can handle such an emotionally and physically tense situation. I won't ever get into a fight until I am ready and I will never be ready until I make the decision of getting off my ass and going to the gym to workout.

Reading this thread is a good source of motivation too. So many things have been said, and a lot of them will be engraved on my brain for years to come.

Things like..."You have one chance at life. Why not make the best out of it by making your mind and body all it can be?"

Also, by taking my fitness course with ISSA...they have thought me a huge list of benefits and it's safe to say that the benefits are astronomical compared to if you do nothing with your body.

Edit:

Chillen, your wife is amazing and it just shows us how good of a match you truly are together.

What you have said will probably stick with me the rest of my life. You are a true testament of good will, knowledge and wisdom, not only to this site, but for humanity as well. You have my praise.

If I ever had the choice of having some sort of mentor to help me with my endeavor of developing myself to be dependable and able to help others, I would choose you.

toodles,

Eric

Last edited:
What Motivates you?

Hey guys,

I was wandering what motivates you guys to losing weight and going the gym or exercising.

Many things motivate me.

When i was younger in primary school i used to get bullied and sort of picked on for being over weight.

Was embarrassed to take mt top off etc

Then 1 day i thought to myself, this is going nowere, dont want to be overweight for rest of my life.

As the years came by i lost weight naturally. Then started to work out. People are suprised at times from when they saw me years back.

Also, i think girls can motivate you (if your a guy)
Music is great for motivation :D

Feel free to speak out on what motivates you, dont be shy to explain, were all in 1 big group here, so feel free to post ^.^.

Back