Motivation!

Interesting thread...

I started working out for health reasons (being 344lbs, poor circulation/swelling in the legs, diabetes and other associated health related problems). An infection in my foot had me hospitalized for a few days which gave me time to think that being laid up really sucked and to do something about it. I joined a gym and started working out within the week (May 05).

Now, at around 246lbs, the health concerns have subsided a bit enough to concentrate on improved performance. Started at 1 minute 45 secs on the elliptical and now do half an hour with resistance, as well as take spinning classes. It's a real high to be able to do something you weren't able to do before - like lift a heavier weight, or run faster, farther, longer.

Of course, I'd be a liar if I said appearance didn't play a factor too - like most anyone I'd like to be hot, but realize that's a long ways away.

Lastly, working out has become a habit as well as a need. There's times I don't want to go to the gym but I find I have the best workouts at those times (possibly due to more realistic expectations). I tell people I'm probably in the best shape of my life, which is both a good and a bad thing. It's all up from here.

Motivation for Fitness?

What do you think most people's motivations for fitness are?

a. Performance -- for example, competitive sports, jobs like firefighter, or even normal functioning for very elderly persons wanting to remain independent.

b. Health -- avoiding problems due to inactivity, such as diabetes or heart disease.

c. Appearance -- attracting dates and mates at the beach.

I think probably A.

Although people of different ages will have contrasting motivations.

For example A & C for younger and fitter individuals, but with increasing age a larger shift to option B.

I do it to prove people wrong.

So many people in school say, "You haven't got the right genetics", "You need to stay inside and eat chocolate all day for afew months before you should start lifting" etc.

I just LOL at the people in PE class that think benching it the godlift, I deadlift something and there like "What the hell are you doing?". It's quality.

My motivation rocketted when I got with this one girl, but turns out she wasn't what I expected. I guess I'll go back to proving people wrong. I can't wait for them to see my in 3 years and be like.. "O... M... G..." at me.

"When the night comes, I will pick up the pieces."

This statement is imbedded in my heart everyday. The reason I began my quest for health and fitness is a long story, but it begins with a warning from my body and ends with the love for my wife.

About 5 years ago, my wife was diagnosed with Lupos, and also has a bone condition called: Fiber Dysplacia of the front left facial bone (has had this all her life), she can carry an extra 15 pounds of water in her legs, get skin rashes, swelling of various tissues, bone pain, muscle aches and pains, severe migranes, severe sweating, to name only a few.

She has had several operations on her face where they litterally shaved her front cheek bone and sinus area that continually gets blocked from the bone growth. She had one about 6 months ago, and this one was rather serious and needed to be done or she faced certain death due to the placement of the bone growth. (brief synopsis)

She never complains, and is not ashamed of her self, always puts herself last and her family first. She is always persistant: She is my idol.

Doctors say she wont live past the age of 60. I say she will because of her heart. What ever happens, when the night comes, I will pick up the pieces.

If you ever wondered what drives me, its my wife. I keep myself physically conditioned to be able one day to: cloth her, bath her, feed her, and put her to bed. I love her: She is my idol. When the night comes, I will pick up the pieces.

I must be prepared so I must keep my aging body fit for the task and not let her down or myself down.

What she lacks in beauty she makes up with her heart and soul: I love her.

I have cried and I have bled in the gym. I know the journey.

However, there is nothing I cant bare when I look at her, that she hasnt felt.

She is the one that boils in my heart of desire. I would do anything for her.

This one of the reasons I am who I am and act the way I do. I know I can make her life as happy with her medical condition, and want to set out to do simuliar things for other people. I know it can be done because I see it everyday.

I hope this makes sense. And, I hope one can understand me more for what its worth.

Sometimes, I get criticized for my posting methods, this is is to be expected; however, never doubt my sincere intentions.

I see everyday what having a determined heart and soul can do to a person

With all of her medical problems, the fire burns within. She leaves no doubt that we have it in all of us to spark the fire and overcome anything in our path of life. So I Chill mentally in this respect, thus my screen name.

Now,

ROCK ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My "personal" answer is all three, but there are many other factors involved than what is listed.

Have a very nice day,

Chillen

Last edited:
I always wanted to run and swim. I agree with self-respect and discipline; that was my aim for fitness and health.

I just got tired of not being able to walk from my car at work to my destination without feeling tired. I had pain in my legs from walking less than 1/4 of a mile. I was breathing hard, sweating, and felt like crap. As I was walking to work one day, I saw the gym. I went in, said, "Sign me up." Didn't even take a tour of the building. I said to myself no matter what this place has, I'm going to use something and get into some type of shape.

And now I feel like a million bucks. I not really aiming for any type of body or weight. I just want to be able to do stuff without feeling like crap and getting tired. And now I believe I'm nearly at that point. I can run for miles, and I feel great doing it. I signed up for the pool access at my rec center, and now I can swim for miles too. I feel great and really happy with myself.

i do it because it feels so good to work so hard and then the benefits are also great.
also, it helps to be able to put my body to good use when i need to.
its fun

I'd say B...followed by A.

At this point in my life, I'm much less concerned about making things like low body fat % and packing on inches of muscles - i.e how I look in terms of my physique - as my primary goals like they were when I was much younger. Back then, I was driven by ' vanity ' more than anything else I'm afraid. :eek:

Nowadays, my main focus is using athletic performance as my main tool toward reaching my primary goal - the goal of simply staying healthy. It just so happens my athletic pursuits like playing hockey, ball hockey, running ( i.e 10ks ) and some of my home training like rowing - and to lessor extent weight training - have a strong cardiovascular fitness component to them.

In my view, if you eat right and maintain above average level of cardiovascular fitness, things like blood pressure, blood sugars, triglycerides, HDL / LDL etc. etc. pretty much take care of themselves. Staying healthy is much more important to me than how I look ' physique wise ' - but that's just me.:)

All three for me.

I don't play any competitive team sports per se, but am very active with my wife and kids, hiking, mountain biking, swimming, waterskiiing and freestyle jet skiing. I need strength and endurance so I can do all of these better and longer which leads to more family time and more fun together.

Health..same as above pretty much. I want to be around to teach my grand kids(still wayyyyyy in the future) to throw a spiral, to handle a quick one hopper to shortstop, to do a nose stab on a SuperJet.

Appearance; sure I am human and can be vain. I spend a lot of time on the beach in boardshorts or a wetsuit depending on the weather, and wetsuits tell no lies. Women dig a guy who looks good in a wetsuit. So whether it was when I was in my early twenties, or now twenty years later, I get a lot more action when I am in wetsuit shape. :cool: And this leads to more cardio ;)

What do you think most people's motivations for fitness are?

a. Performance -- for example, competitive sports, jobs like firefighter, or even normal functioning for very elderly persons wanting to remain independent.

b. Health -- avoiding problems due to inactivity, such as diabetes or heart disease.

c. Appearance -- attracting dates and mates at the beach.

I'd say it's mainly...

A - Developing/youth/developed athletes.
B - Middle aged and older adults.
C - Teens and young adults.

How to get Motivated

The Motivation Thread

I don't know if this thread has been made before but
just thought i might as well post it!

Share all your tips & Habits of getting
motivated for the gym, Sports, Healthy Eating

:beerchug:

Just watching sport gets me motivated...It might sound silly but the little kid in me still looks at people on TV and says "I wanna be that guy".

Flyinfree is right on the mark with this suggestion! Sign up for some event, 10K run, 50 mile bike ride, sprint triathlon, duathlon (bike and run), join a soccer league or volleyball league, anything that encourages you to get in shape for it.

registering for an event

even if the event is a year away, it will change the way you workout.

G
U
A
R
A
N
T
E
E
D
!

FF

Funny - I just found out about a 30mile Bike ride the end of June - I think I may sign up! It has free post massages etc after too-now thats worth it!

Back