Minx’s Diary

LittleMinx

Note: My husband and I are polyamorous. I typically do not bring that up in discussions outside close friends, but in this case I believe the dynamic I have with both my husband and my long term partner are important to my weight loss journey. In order to be successful in my weight loss goals, I believe I will have to take into consideration how I interact with each of my partners. I know my lifestyle is unusual, but I hope that will not dissuade others from supporting me in my weight loss goals. I don't want things to be awkward for other members of the forum, so I will try to bring it up only as necessary.

-- How much weight do you want to lose?
About 50 lbs

-- What is the timeframe for reaching your target weight?
One year

-- How do you want to accomplish your goal (what methods do you want to use)?
I want to improve my diet and exercise more.

-- Who or what can support you in reaching your goal?
My husband and my long term partner. The most important thing will be to minimize the amount of unhealthy snacks I have easy access to in my homes. I think this will be easier in my partner's home than in my home with my husband (my partner does not tend to have as many snacks laying around). I have already discussed with each of them how they can support me in avoiding temptations, and both seem very supportive and receptive.

-- How realistic is your goal?
50 lbs in one year is less than one lb per week, so I believe it should be realistic.

-- When will you start?
I started my new exercising routine six days ago (July 20, 2020). As of July 25, 2020, I am being more conscientious of what I eat.

What is your current height and weight?
I am 5'5 and 204 lb

If you were at an ideal weight now, what would that weight be?
I think about 150 - 155 lbs would make me much happier.

At what weight would you like to be at four months from now?
Between 180 - 185 lb.

Why do you want to lose weight?
I don't feel good at the weight I currently am. Some days I feel absolutely beautiful and confident, but other days all I can see is fat. There are a lot of clothes I wish I looked better in, and activities I avoid because I think I'm not fit enough for them. I love going on hikes, and would like to be able to tackle more challenging and lengthy hikes. There are hikes I would like to do that I know have amazing scenery and views, but which are currently too strenuous for me.

Do you want to lose weight for a specific life event such as wedding or reunion? If so, when is that event?
No specific event.

What obstacles could get between you and your weight loss goals?
I seem to have very little willpower when it comes to avoiding snacks. If they are in the house and available to me, I will eat them.

Why do you think that you now have a weight problem?
Since childhood, I have had varying levels of weight issues. I have never been a slim person, and have been varying degrees of overweight for as long as I can remember. I try not to blame it on any one event that has occurred in my life. As a child, I was abused sexually. I think at times, I subconsciously thought that if I was overweight and unattractive, no one would want to hurt me. Even when I didn't think like that, I would get into a spiral; I would see myself as overweight, think that I would never be able to get to a weight I was happy with, and so would eat more, and become even more overweight.

I was always a shy, introverted child. I didn't particularly like to play with other children or interact with them. I preferred being on my own. This meant that I rarely wanted to be outside, where interactions with neighbourhood children would be difficult to avoid. I often ended up playing by myself indoors, and often, my play was very limited in terms of physical engagement. There was no point in my young life that exercise or physical activity became ingrained as a habit, or as something fun.

What lifestyle changes do you think would help you lose weight?
I think the main change will have to be to my diet. I need to consume fewer calories, and choose more nutritious foods. I also need to stick with my new exercise schedule.

Have you lost weight in the past? If so, what has worked in the past to help you lose weight?
I lost nearly 30 lbs before my wedding in 2018. I have since gained it back, plus more. At the time I was on a keto diet, and my husband was following it with me. It really seemed to help both of us; we both lost weight, and his diabetes was under much better control. But we stopped following it during the week of the wedding, and we never got back to it.

Why do you believe that you did not lose weight or you gained the weight back?
I did not stick to the changes I had made. I went back to my previous eating habits.

What, if anything, has not worked for you in the past in helping you to lose weight? Why do you think it did not work?
Very strict diets do not seem to work. I don't have enough willpower for them, and inevitably end up eating foods I crave. I had much more success with the keto diet, as I was able to eat a lot of foods I was enjoying, and it didn't feel so restrictive somehow.

Would you try writing down all food and drink consumed for a given period of time?
Yes, I would try it.

Do you cook at home often? If so, what do you cook?
We have meals at home about 50% of the time; the other 50% we eat out or order out. We follow a vegetarian diet (my husband and I), and my partner is an omnivore, but eats vegetarian meals while I am with him. We tend to cook a lot of carb heavy foods; rice, pasta, breads.

How often do you go out to eat? Where do you go?
We eat out about 50% of the time (or more typically, order in). Some of our usual places include veggie burgers from Burger King or A&W; sandwiches from Subway; Chinese Food; and occasional pizza (about 1-2 times per month)

What are your three favorite foods?
Popcorn, potato chips, spaghetti.

What are your three favorite restaurants?
White Spot, Cactus Club, and a local Indian restaurant.

What are three things you can do differently when it comes to food?
I can cut out potato chips; limit my popcorn to home made with limited or no butter; and decrease the amount of bread I have during meals.

If you woke up tomorrow and your body was exactly the way you want it, what would be different?
My stomach/waist would be way slimmer. My arms would be less flabby, my thighs would be more toned, and my butt would not have as much fat on it.

Do you eat when you are not hungry?
Quiet often.

Do you binge eat (large amounts at a time)?
No.

Do you hide your food or eat in secret?
No.

Do you eat when you are sad, nervous, or depressed?
Sometimes; more often, I sleep.

Do you eat as a reward?
Sometimes.

Do you eat while watching TV or using the computer?
Yes.

What do you normally eat for a meal?
Home made: A vegetarian protein (meat alternatives); a selection of veggies (usually a combination of carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and beans), lots of mushrooms, and rice.

What type of snacks do you eat?
Popcorn, chips

In terms of exercise, what, if anything, are you currently doing?
I'm currently following a workout program involving a 20 minute HIIT workout and ten minutes of ab workout daily, and rotating between lower body workouts and an additional ab workout on alternate days. I also try to walk at least an hour every day.

Where do you go for exercise? A local public gym? School/work gym? Home?
Home, and a local park.

What, if anything, are your three favorite types of exercise?
Swimming (unavailable during the pandemic), walking, biking

What is your daily/weekly/monthly/yearly motivation to move towards your goals?
I am not sure yet, other than the motivation of seeing the scale go down.

Do you have rewards for certain goals?
I've only ever rewarded myself with food (i.e., if I reach a certain weight goal, I can have one unhealthy thing). I don't feel this has been productive for me.

Hey Jessica, good to see you started a diary! Looks like you´re not a sugar addict, which is definitely helpful, and your plan sounds pretty realistic. If you like to snack maybe you could plan regular snacks around the time you´d normally start to look for them but make them a little healthier. Homemade popcorn with less butter is a great example but you could also have fruit or some kind of crunchy vegetable with a smear of (pea)nutbutter or something.

Hey Jessica, good to see you started a diary! Looks like you´re not a sugar addict, which is definitely helpful, and your plan sounds pretty realistic. If you like to snack maybe you could plan regular snacks around the time you´d normally start to look for them but make them a little healthier. Homemade popcorn with less butter is a great example but you could also have fruit or some kind of crunchy vegetable with a smear of (pea)nutbutter or something.
Thank you! Yeah, sugar hasn’t ever been an issue for me. I don’t mind the occasional baked good, but it’s really rare - maybe once every couple months. It’s definitely the salty, crunchy snacks that do me in!

I really want to get control of the snacking this time. I discussed with my husband, as he likes chips as well. I know he’s not wanting to change his diet at the moment, and I don’t expect him to cut out anything unhealthy. But we agreed that we are going to keep his snacks in a locked cupboard that only he has a key to, so I won’t be tempted to just grab and mindlessly eat.

how often do you consume any calories between the end of dinner (at a reasonable dinnertime) and before breakfast? to make any diet more effective, the answer should be 'never'.

Hey Jessica, welcome to the forum!

Your goals seem quite reasonable, and you are right to focus on eating fewer calories, that is the only real way to lose weight. The exercise will help. Do you plan to track your calories? I have been and it really helps me, I use myfitnesspal.com and so do others here. I also post my food daily here, its been a big help to me. You might consider doing that, at least to get started. Have you set a daily calorie goal?

Post here regularly and you will find helpful folks to advise and support you, its been very helpful to me.

I was also overweight from my early childhood. After being here for about a year and a half I have lost the most weight of my life, and am probably the least fat of my life. You can do the same, just stick with us!

Oh, and the polyamorous thing is interesting, but I think you will find it makes no difference to anyone here. What we share is a weight problem and a commitment to try and manage or overcome it. Nothing else much matters. Except we probably don't want serial killers or folks like that...

Hi @LittleMinx
Nice to have you here :)
You sound like you have a good plan and know what you're doing. I agree with Rob about how helpful it can be to log your food and exercise into an app to keep track of things--it's been super helpful for me as well. i use cronometer and then post daily my calories and exercise here to keep me accountable.
Looking forward to reading about your progress!

Today has been a good day so far :D I’ve done three of my exercise videos; I don’t know if it’s just my imagination, but it feels like my appetite decreases the more I exercise. I’m still eating, but I don’t seem to be craving snacks as much.

I had cheese and some crackers for breakfast, and a slice of toast. It’s more carbs than I think I should be aiming for at breakfast. I originally was going to go with an applesauce instead of the toast, but it tasted weird and had a strange colour around the rim - didn’t want to risk it!

I haven’t had a single snack today, nor do I really feel like I want one. Husband and I have decided where we’re going to lock up his snacks - who knows, it may help him as well if he has to unlock his snacks before reaching for them.

My weight was 202.8 today, which makes me very happy. I feel like I’m on the right track, and have a great support system to keep me on it!

Hi, Jessica & a belated welcome to our supportive forum. Not snacking is a really good start. I do best when I eat 3 nutritious meals a day & I try to finish my eating before 7 pm. I have fewer cravings that way & also have about a 13 hour fast.
I think you sound fairly positive about getting healthy & about yourself & that helps too.

I don’t know if it’s just my imagination, but it feels like my appetite decreases the more I exercise. I’m still eating, but I don’t seem to be craving snacks as much.
Exercise has the same effect on me, days I do a lot of exercise I am rarely hungry. My worst food temptation days are when I don't exercise. So no, I don't think it's your imagination.
My weight was 202.8 today, which makes me very happy. I feel like I’m on the right track
Good for you! Nothing feels better than being on track. Keep up the good work.

Sounds like you're doing great! Do make sure to work in rest days to avoid crashing, both energy-wise and food-wise.

I don’t know if it’s just my imagination, but it feels like my appetite decreases the more I exercise.
I was just noticing the same thing with me lately and find there are studies that show that exercise--especially aerobic does indeed decrease appetite!

I ended up making a blueberry pie last night for my husband. My husband had bought a ton of blueberries a few days ago, and we couldn’t eat them all before they went bad. I did use Splenda instead of sugar, so that hopefully cuts down a huge amount of calories in it. I’ve never been much of a pie person, so I’m hoping between not having much of the pie, and being sugar free, it won’t be too bad.

Today has been a pretty good day. I'm down to 202.4 lbs. I went to a medical office today to pick up a CD of X-Rays I had last winter. There was a line up of 15-20 people waiting for elevators that only allow 2 people at a time, so I decided to take the stairs up to the fifth floor. I was a little out of breath, and my thighs were a little sore by the top, but I was proud of myself for choosing the stairs :)

I got home and had scrambled eggs for breakfast with two slices of cheese. I've been finding I'm not very hungry in the mornings, so I have a fairly small breakfast. After breakfast I did my four exercise videos on my schedule, and got to spend some quality time with my husband. Dinner was a veggie burger, and I haven't snacked since then.

Tomorrow is a rest day from the exercise. I may go for a short bike ride, or at least a walk. I am hoping to weigh in under 202 lb tomorrow: fingers crossed!

Yay for being able to take the stairs when needed! I bet you were a lot quicker this way as well.

I decided to take the stairs up to the fifth floor. I was a little out of breath, and my thighs were a little sore by the top, but I was proud of myself for choosing the stairs
Good for you! Feels good doesn't it? I remember when I could not climb a single flight without getting winded. Good for you on the continued weight loss, and I hope you are under 202 today, but if not it will happen and soon. Not long before you get to onederland!

Well done on taking those stairs. I'm trying to make those choices more often these days too.
Next time you have excess berries, just pop them in the freezer. They freeze well & can be added to cereal or blitzed with some yoghurt or even just eaten as is.

Cate taught me to freeze cherries and she is right. For me fresh frozen berries are just as good as fresh, and a great snack that lasts the year round.

Back