Marsia's Diary

Cate

Support crew
That's such a good way to think of it. It is frustrating how much homework she has and how many after school activities so I don't get to see her very much. It's going to be so nice when I am rested and can spend more quality time with her again!
I found car time to be the best time to have decent conversations with our sons
I feel like I've turned the corner with packing and that I should actually get almost everything out of here in a month.
Yay!! Good for you 👏

Marsia

Thanks LaMa and Cate! Yes, car time is going to be nice once we aren't so tired from packing. It's still nice even so. I went through stacks of paperwork today - got all the photos for a baby book for K's Christmas present in a box with all her artwork I've saved from early childhood. Got my old paperwork all sorted, and almost have my sorting area completely clean. It used to be teetering piles of boxes and dusty stacks of paperwork. LaMa, I think you're right. Once it's cleared out in here, things will go faster and also it will look a lot better which is always inspiring.

Did yoga and included balancing poses because I remembered LaMa's and Liza's conversation. I am starting to learn to relax more when I feel overwhelmed. Last night the spot with the big vertebrae in the neck was twitching a lot because it was letting go of a bunch of stress. It felt much looser when I did neck stretches today. I'm sitting on the couch with a happy purring cat in my lap and a kid sharing the blanket while finishing homework. Ate pretty well - good for me food all day, and just a little at night.

Cate

Support crew
It sounds like you are really gaining some momentum with your packing, M. I think I should do some balancing & stretching exercises this week too. I might be a zen wombat! I really, really need some good food. I hate how junk food makes me feel.
I'm sitting on the couch with a happy purring cat in my lap and a kid sharing the blanket while finishing homework.
Nice :grouphug: I have Arch on my knee at the moment, in front of the fire. It feels so good.

Marsia

I like the sound of a zen wombat. If you started the zen wombat club, you'd have quite a following, I'd imagine. Sitting by the fire with a cute little dog on your lap sounds wonderful.

I think my new thing is concentrating on how I stress myself out by mistake while trying to motivate myself or tense up instead of relaxing. I got the idea from some meditations my teacher lead recently and how he basically talks about not fighting reality, because reality will always win. He is big into acceptance, and for me that often means not bracing myself by tensing up, because that's a big habit with me. The acceptance thing sounds deceptively simple, I've noticed. Like you said, LaMa, relaxing when things are stressful being a real skill!

Time to start the day. It's sunny and looks like it's going to be warm and nice later. Time to meditate and I want to run to the store and also get a nice walk in by the ocean today!!

liza

That's great that you are continuing to practice relaxation techniques Marsia. Acceptance works well for me too, rather than fighting. As you say, a difficult practice, but a good one. Sometimes when I notice I'm tensing up and I notice it (lately when I'm out shopping...) I pause and try to just relax because how is being tense helping me at all??
I'm really glad to hear the packing is really getting going now--will be nice for you to see the space getting clearer and clearer!

Marsia

Thanks everyone! I am glad I have zen wombat's blessing! If round is perfection, I don't have that much further to go!! !:)⭕:)! I'm catching myself a lot more and relaxing, too, Liza.

The packing wasn't as productive this weekend. It was very hot, so we went to the beach, and it was high tide with tons of seaweed washed up on the beach and just barely enough room near the cliffs to rock climb and scamper over rocks to get to a nice beach with sand actually showing. I got in my balancing exercise for the day! It was wonderful putting my feet in the water. I don't think I've done that for about 9 months, and I live pretty close to the beach, so that sort of shocked me how I have been in my little packing world so long!

It's hot again today, but nice in the house. I hauled out the old toilets with J from my mom's house to help the contractor who is doing us a favor fitting us in to his insanely busy schedule, so every little bit we can do helps him. I had to mop with bleach water afterward. We were terrible at keeping the water in the toilets. I used this wonderful mask that J's friend got him for going up north and not inhaling all the smoke from the wild fires. It's also wonderful for wearing when I use toxic cleaners (I normally use really eco-friendly ones) which would normally wipe me out for days. I'm going to use it when I paint, too. I got a patent proofed, the whole house swept, and am starting on packing up all the stuff in my art cabinets, which should go fast as they are already sorted and the stuff in them is pretty non-dusty. Just taking a little break. I actually read everyone's lovely diaries but need to wait to comment until I get a bunch of stuff in boxes this afternoon. The space is already getting clearer and clearer - I need to focus on that instead of stressing about how much is left! Kinda like with weight loss - just concentrate on what is working and repeat!!

Cate

Support crew
How nice that you got to go to the beach. Zen wombat would have had trouble on those rocks :)
You are getting so much done, hon & it's good that you can focus on each task, rather than letting everything overwhelm you. Taking some time out to relax must help.

Marsia

Thanks so much for the encouragement, and I really like the idea of focusing on one task at a time and not getting overwhelmed. I really needed that reminder!

Tomorrow they do all the drywall patching in my mom's house from where they opened up the walls to put in all new plumbing. So things are coming along. I probably should have J close up the house when they are done. There is nothing as itchy and horrible to me on the face of the earth as drywall dust. I do not know what diabolical person thought of sandwiching itchy dust between two glorified pieces of cardboard and then nailing that to their walls, but they sure had a strange imagination that they thought of that, and it's so weird it works, too!

liza

The beach time sounds lovely--good you took the opportunity while it was too hot to get much done. Scampering over rocks sounds like a lovely way to practice balance!

Marsia

Thanks LaMa and Liza! The mask is wonderful, and I don't think I could get through this without it - I wore it to get through the last of the dusty boxes, and that was a life saver. The beach was so refreshing. I think I need to do little quick excursions like that to feel more focused. I actually slept in an hour because I forgot to set the alarm, so we had to scamper around this morning feeding the cats and packing breakfast for the car ride over to school. That was good - I don't feel so much like a sleepless zombie this morning.

I spent the morning going over lighting, electrical, and drywall patching with the contractor, so now I get serious and pack. I have everything set up nice, so it should go fast today. I didn't get to meditate, so will do that tonight. Another beautiful day out, so I'll get out and do a tiny bit of yard work to get my escape from the house.

Yesterday a huge dragonfly got in the house, so I turned off all the lights, opened the doors, and put my arm out the door and called the dragonfly. It took him about 2 seconds to zip through the door. I had no idea they were so smart! I can get honey bees to do that, but it takes them a while, and flies, forget it - they have no clue. We watched a bee documentary yesterday on how the bees will do a dance to show where the best flower patches are, and they also all vote on new sites for building a new hive, and they do the same dance to show distance and angle from the sun where the site is so everyone can check it out before they vote.

Ate pretty well yesterday and today so far. Feeling good about things now that I am taking Cate's advice and focusing on one thing at a time!

LaMaria

Sometimes oversleeping is just what you need. Did you know that when honeybees have to keep doing their dance for a long time they´ll change it over time to adjust for the the changing angle to the "moving" sun?

Cate

Support crew
Bees are fascinating creatures 🐝
I'm glad you got to sleep in. I'm also glad that you are taking the time to fit small excursions in with your packing & cleaning. You're a smart cookie, M 😘

Marsia

Wow, LaMa, that's amazing about changing the bee dance to accommodate for the sun's position changing! Bees are amazing! Thanks for the nice compliment, Cate! I am just trying things out to see how to get through this without loosing my marbles!

Sleeping in worked - I woke up before the alarm today and felt really good. I also went to sleep a little early last night. And I discovered yesterday that washing clothes in the bathtub is really fun! I soaked them in warm soapy water and walked all over them for a while which was very relaxing and nice, then rinsed them and wrung them out and put them in the dryer. I actually think I did a better job at getting them clean than the washing machine does! I don't know when the washer will get hooked up again, so I'm just going to keep doing loads like this. I've got 2 weeks to get the rest of the house packed up, and I don't think I'll make that deadline, but if I have all the stuff besides what is in the built-in storage out, that will probably be good enough for showing the house if we are at that point in 2 weeks. Tried meditating last night and just kept falling asleep, so better get to that now!

LaMaria

I soaked them in warm soapy water and walked all over them for a while which was very relaxing and nice, then rinsed them and wrung them out and put them in the dryer. I actually think I did a better job at getting them clean than the washing machine does!
You really are the best at making lemonade from all those lemons :)
Tried meditating last night and just kept falling asleep, so better get to that now!
Sometimes sleep is more important. I hope it was easier today now that you´re more rested.

Marsia

Thanks LaMa! This house has made me queen of lemons🍋🍋👑🍋🍋! Yes, today is going really well, and I had a good meditation this morning - I am getting the hang of relaxing while meditating without falling asleep. I finally feel really motivated and happy packing (well as happy as I get while packing) and am getting a lot done. I realized that a lot of the mess is empty boxes I saved for odd sized things, plastic storage bins, packing materials, and good boxes to donate stuff to the thrift shop. So once I get the rest of my room packed up today, it'll all be down hill from here.

I ate some junk food the last few days, and it didn't taste good at all. Switched to fresh apples and lemon drink and feel much better. I do need to go to the store and get food that is easy to make for the last 2 week push of packing. I hope I find healthy things because I really don't want to eat frozen burritos and stuff that doesn't taste fresh and makes me sluggish.

I just realized, in 2 weeks, most of this will be behind me and soon I won't be saddled with this huge house and tons of stuff. Wow, I get to go have a life. Imagine...