Marsia's Diary

liza

Argh that sucks about the colds going around. I hope you can beat it nice and quick!
Try and get lots of good rest and don't push yourself too hard.
Take care:grouphug:

Marsia

Hi Liza, Cate, and LaMa! I slept most of yesterday and remembered to eat well, so I am mostly better today. I am still tired, but I'll just lightly pack and get some sunshine today. It's foggy out this morning and chilly, but the air smells fresh and wonderful. Another thing that might have gotten me sick is the air coming from the inland fires. I will not miss all the drought and fires once we move from this area.

I realized that I was putting more pressure on myself to pack fast, but that just stresses me out and doesn't help. Have to go back to plodding along. J and K got part of the walls up on our greenhouse at our new place. They are out playing tennis and then we'll all have a packing day as a family when they get back. All this packing is so crazy. How could any one family own so darned much stuff? It makes me want to become a lot more minimalist. I think then we get our next house, I'll really pair down even more. I hope I remember how crazy this move was by then!

The contractor is here today working on the propane line. I really like when the contractor is here doing things - it helps me pack more efficiently with other people being productive around me!

LaMaria

How could any one family own so darned much stuff?
You're still dissolving your parents' household as well though, right? That can't help! Glad you're feeling better and as so often it looks like you'll do better imitating the tortoise than the hare...

Cate

Support crew
You are packing for an extended family. It would be much better to make decisions about your stuff as a family, rather than on your own. I keep learning from everyone else's experiences & continue to declutter. G's sister's house is mind-boggling. She is planning to move in the next year, but I think it will take at least 5 years unless she makes some drastic decisions about letting stuff go. You sound like you are doing really well, Marsia 😘

Marsia

Hi Cate and LaMa! You guys are right, I am just getting discouraged because it took 9 months to get through the hoard and now that I am seriously doing our house, I am getting impatient because I am just very tired of packing. But really my stuff is only bad because I love books and have a lot of art supplies.

I was a happy, zen tortoise today and we got a lot packed that was in the living room where we are sleeping now to avoid the dust. So that was very productive because now there aren't stacks of dusty photo albums from my mom's house and such in our living room giving me bad allergies. I must have packed up 6 or 7 boxes of photo albums. I meant to sort them but we are running out of time, so just boxed them up with big SORT signs on them. J and K helped with other parts of the room and it's much better in here now. It feels so good to have a largely dust-free room now.

I've been doing little stretching periods of yoga the last few days, and that helps so much. I am so stiff I can't believe it, but wow does that feel good. Oh, and my cat has been very happy I've been lying out on the deck in the sun with her to get my vitamin D. Still a bit tired, so going to bed after drawing a few patent figures.

Marsia

I think so too LaMa and Cate - I strive for zen tortoise-ness! Today went zipping by like the hare zipping past me. The concrete was poured for the entry and it looks really good. The realtor came and we tried to figure out how the driveway abuts the new entry and that took forever because this is on a hill and is tricky. And our contractor came, too, and I did lots of figures for patents, and watered plants and then the day was gone, so now I'm finally packing. I really like that I juiced a huge amount of lemons and have it for making the non-sweet hot lemon drink. That is making it so I can sort dusty things even with the tail end of a cold.

It was nice getting outside and fussing over my flower gardens and things. The soil is bone dry and it's hard to keep everything happy, but I am so grateful for living on a property with a well with plenty of water. When we move there will probably be water rationing, but I think we'll do water saving things like swim in our favorite creeks so we can skip a shower or two. Tomorrow is no contractors so I'll get more done and do more yoga. Good meditation today - that helps so much!

LaMaria

Oof, no tortoising today!
Short showers (rinse, lather, rinse, turning the water off while soaping up) really don't take up a lot of water but most people don't take those!

liza

I'm impressed with how you keep moving right along Marsia. 9 months of packing up houses and sorting while keeping on with parenting and keeping the household going is a lot! I am very minimalist but I do often get overwhelmed with even my bit of stuff.
I am in an area where we often have water restrictions. This year was one of the worst with an extra dry season. I'm making some modifications to my garden both so that I will have less soil to keep healthy with nutrients and less area to try and keep watered.

Cate

Support crew
I think it's amazing how you juggle everything, Marsia. I juiced a whole heap of lemons on Tuesday too & froze a lot of the juice into ice cubes. A diet tonic water or a glass of water with a lemon/lime ice cube is delicious. It took me ages to do as I don't have an electric juicer.

Marsia

Hi everyone! LaMa, I used to take those sort of short showers when we weren't on well water. I guess it's back to them, but I do want to have an excuse to swim in the streams more, too!

Liza and Cate, thanks for saying that about all the different things I am trying to get done, I feel pretty happy with what I am getting accomplished, but J is super stressed about getting out of here soon because the housing market is really starting to seriously soften, so I feel like I need to do more. I actually agreed to have the house packed up a month from today. Then I totally freaked out and went into panic mode for a couple of hours thinking about how in the world I am going to do that. So I cooked which calmed me down. Then I got very into getting the whole living room cleaned and the boxes and stuff in there sorted today, and I actually did it. One room totally done! Also while freaking out I scrubbed the bathroom and got it nice, so got a lot accomplished today. And the wood stove guy came today and replaced a glass insert that randomly cracked while we weren't even using it, and another driveway guy came to give a bid. So now I am tired and will go to sleep in my nice clean living room after reading diaries.

Cate, I tried lemon in bubbly water and copied you. I haven't had that in a long while and really liked it. Lemon and lime ice cubes sound really refreshing!

liza

Deadlines really aren't fun especially when you're trying to do things well.
Nice that the cooking helped calm you. I hope you can continue to find good nurturing things to keep the stress levels low.

Cate

Support crew
Sometimes a deadline can be a good thing. I'm sure you can pull this together, M. As LaMa says please take care of yourself though & have a switch-off time. We don't want you falling apart at the seams.

Marsia

Thanks everyone! I am trying to emphasize getting a lot done without stressing myself out. Today was slow and plodding for the most part because I was so tired. The power went off last night just before bed and didn't come on until mid-morning. I hauled a bunch of buckets of water to flush toilets and have a bunch of drinking water and water to wash dishes in. About 45 minutes after I finished, the power came back on. So nice morning workout! I started on my room today which has very thick construction dust from the master bath remodel. I got quite a bit done and made coconut rice with lots of shiitake mushrooms and shallots and garlic and cilantro. It's rather fattening, but I felt so tired and on the verge of getting sick, so had a little and felt instantly better. Then I ate a bunch more which maybe I shouldn't have. Tomorrow I need to take it easy on calories. After I was done getting dusty for the day I took a nice shower in the new bathroom and really enjoyed it - have to get all the showers in I can while I'm still here.

I keep trying to do the wash and realizing the water is turned off there so they can replace all the pipes in my mom's house. I asked the contractor today about when I can do laundry again, and he said he took out the pipes to our washer. I asked J about this, and I think it's a misunderstanding, but ok anyway because these are all super old pipes. So I may need to go to the laundermat soon, because the washer I put my clothes in has no water running to it! Such is life when remodeling. My cats - wild and tame were all super cuddly today. That was relaxing hanging out with happy cats!

LaMaria

That coconut rice sounds delicious! I'd probably overeat on it hopelessly though since it doesn't have a lot of protein. Not having power/water really drives home how comfy our modern lives normally are, doesn't it? I hope they'll be done with the pipes soon!

liza

Yeah I have to agree with Cate there! What a lot to deal with between hauling water and no pipes for the washing machine!
Nice that your cats were all there to offer you some cuddles and comfort :)

Marsia

That coconut rice sounds delicious! I'd probably overeat on it hopelessly though since it doesn't have a lot of protein. Not having power/water really drives home how comfy our modern lives normally are, doesn't it? I hope they'll be done with the pipes soon!
Hi LaMa, I get a good amount
of meat/beans/nuts protein a day, so I'm ok to have a bunch of veggie meals. It helps to have healthy fats for me, and the coconut milk in the rice is very filling. I weighed myself this morning and was actually down a pound - phew! We've been remodeling so long, it isn't too bad when the power goes out. We're kinda used to roughing it. Having the power out since we're on a well means no water pressure, so I have to go to the holding tank and get water, like they used to lower the bucket into a community well. Now that the power is back on, our part of the house does have water. It's just out at my mom's and the garage where the washing machine is.
I think just getting through the next month or 2 without going bonkers might be a good plan for you my friend :svengo:
Thanks Cate - I did kinda feel like that yesterday! I actually took today off of packing so far. I went to the hardware store and got my kid from a short day at school, and have only done nice things since we got home. I plan to go back to plowing through tomorrow. It doesn't feel as overwhelming now that my mom's house is done. When I go up to her house I am in awe that it is completely cleared out. it seems like I did the impossible, so our house getting done in a month doesn't seem as scary as I had originally thought in comparison. I'm currently laying on the couch completely loving feeling relaxed!
Yeah I have to agree with Cate there! What a lot to deal with between hauling water and no pipes for the washing machine!
Nice that your cats were all there to offer you some cuddles and comfort :)
I am really looking forward to the washing machine being up and running. I have all my smaller clothes I need to wash before packing them up in storage, and it would be so nice to do that instead of having to brave the dusty rooms. But this will make me get the dust cleaning out of the way! My cat has taken to plastering herself on my stomach and front while I meditate. I swear she breaks into a smile when she sees me in meditation position and she purrs up a storm while making herself comfy on me.