Llama

Hope you have a long, restful sleep! Massage/new sunglasses/walk sounds like a great combo...

Thanks Floater, Cate, and Marsia! Done everything I wanted to do today and am sitting with my feet up. Considered getting an icecream cone when I had to go to the grocery store anyway but saw cut-up watermelon and got that instead. Mildly allergic to watermelon so I can't eat enough of it to justify getting a whole quarter but I can buy a small cup and eat half. Watermelon is just the best.

Had a good day today. Sunglasses are surprisingly heavy but other than that I love them. After dinner I actually didn't want to stay on the couch, which felt so positive. I feel like a lazy slob when I spend so much time on my laptop doing nothing very much but then when I feel better I realize that I prefer to be active so maybe it genuinely isn't laziness but mental fatigue and overwhelm. Will try to remind myself of that if I get back to the lower part of spiral again.

Got müsli in the fridge for breakfast and bean mash wraps for lunch. lentil are soaking so I can sprout them again. Was going to get sushi for dinner tomorrow but found a good deal on smoked salmon so will be having salmon salad instead.

Edit: Been quite short of breath the past couple of days. Upping my AH dose to max and hoping that'll help. If not I probably need to see a doctor.

Last edited:
I feel like a lazy slob when I spend so much time on my laptop doing nothing very much but then when I feel better I realize that I prefer to be active so maybe it genuinely isn't laziness but mental fatigue and overwhelm. Will try to remind myself of that if I get back to the lower part of spiral again.
I know exactly how this feels. I often guilt trip about being overwhelmed, but it's useless - rest is just as important as the more active parts of well-being.

I hope the shortness of breath gets resolved soon. I often get like that when I'm over my limit psychologically, not saying this is the case for you, but I've even been prescribed asthma meds, because I just couldn't breathe normally and I felt like I could never fill my lungs properly and had a constant feeling of having sand in my pipes. Stress can cause similar immune responses than allergies, and in my case the breathing issues stopped when my contract at the workplace I had at the time ended. Sorry about derailing the topic a bit but it is interesting how from a certain point of view, such a thing as "psychogenic symptoms" don't really exist because they are felt in the body and measurable. This is exactly how people who believe in curses or God's retribution or black magic can really die from "the evil eye" - I think it would be a fascinating research topic to examine what cultural beliefs we hold that to us feel logical but are far from that. Sorry about the ramble.

Glad you could enjoy some yummy watermelon :grouphug:

You do sound a little tired, LaMa & it's ok to not be flat out all of the time. I hope you have a lovely sleep & wake feeling refreshed & ready to go. As always you are well prepared, food-wise. I have been doing breathing exercises as I have been very short of breath & they are helping. Sleep tight :grouphug:

I hope the shortness of breath gets resolved soon. I often get like that when I'm over my limit psychologically
Thanks. For now I'm blaming the pollen because they're very high right now but I'll keep it in mind
Sorry about derailing the topic a bit but it is interesting how from a certain point of view, such a thing as "psychogenic symptoms" don't really exist because they are felt in the body and measurable.
I think that's a mistake a lot of people (including some healthcare professionals) make: psychogenic/psychosomatic means the mind caused it, not that it's all in the mind. It's just as real and important as the placebo/nocebo effect and you can die from psychogenic causes. Like you mention with curses. But it's still important to know if something is psychogenic because if it is a purely somatic treatment won't help, especially long-term. The cure also isn't "thinking positively" because forced positivity is stressful for body and mind. Relaxation is almost always a good idea though.
You do sound a little tired, LaMa & it's ok to not be flat out all of the time. I hope you have a lovely sleep & wake feeling refreshed & ready to go.
Thanks Cate. I have a tendency to wake up too early when the sun rises so early but I'm also more motivated to go to bed early when I'm physically tired and not just mentally so all in all I'm doing pretty well.

Morning müsli is becoming very comforting. I guess I just never made enough to last all morning in the past. Currently use an 800 ml trough for it and it's almost full...

I... just heard that next Friday is a day off. (Thursday is a holiday.) On the one hand it's nice to have a long weekend but on the other it'll cost me a day of vacation or hours and that time would've been much more valuable if I could've planned for it earlier. And it's extra weird given that I'm not getting the time off I requested because we're short on therapists. So yay-boo?

I just learned that cinereous vultures born into the European breeding program get sent to a "dating aviary" once they're old enough to start looking for a mate. They stay there for up to three years, then it's time to be set up with their future spouse. Apparently letting vultures choose their own mates makes for better breeding results, but... I kind of want a Jersey Shore style documentary about these vultures and I want to know if some of them never find a mate. I want to know what happens when they age out. Are there bachelor pads? Vulture incels who stay in there until old age?
Got a fresh batch of lentils set for sprouting, green this time. They're not going to be a full protein source (because even the product of 25 g of dried lentils is a LOT of sprouts for one meal) but I'm sure they're a healthy addition to my diet and they're both tasty and cheap if I grow them myself.

Also: I think I've shown to myself that müsli has a future for me, so... I get to go shopping for storage containers tomorrow. I think I need five one liter ones for grains (and soy flakes) and at least four smaller ones for dried fruit and cacao nibs. Not sure what to do with the nuts and seeds yet: I usually keep them in the fridge and the baggies they come in clearly take up the least space (important in my tiny fridge) but it's not a very elegant solution. I'd like the bag equivalent of a snap bracelet that opens and closes easily time after time and takes up next to no space.

I don't keep my nuts & seeds in the fridge & haven't had any go off yet. It's good that you have found another good breakfast alternative, LaMa. I might give muesli another crack.

It's kind of a holdover from when I did badly with histamine. I've had rancid nuts several times but I think they were already bad when I bought them and they were mostly walnuts and macadamians, which I no longer eat anyway. Oh, and hemp seeds once but those really are sensitive. Even sunflower seeds and pine nuts, but that wasn't at home and I think their owner kept them behind a sunny window. Hm. Maybe you're right and I should move them out of the fridge from now on. Being able to see them and use them up quickly is probably better anyway. That puts me at... Five one liter containers, and ten half liters. That's a lot, but it would look and feel a lot better, too. I think I'll start with five big ones and five small ones though, because some of the dried fruit and seeds might fit in even smaller containers. I'll see what I can find. Just got up and reorganized part of my kitchen to make it easier to clean and calmer to the eye. Maybe I really am headed in the right direction again. Either way I'm going for a morning walk because I can't sit/lie anymore. Was too tired from work, visiting a friend, and walking two hours in the suddenly-too-warm weather to go for a run at night but I may do it late this afternoon.

Hemp seeds I refrigerate, for sure, but I'm inclined to forget about them when they're in the fridge. Walnuts are almost always stale when you buy them here. I don't drink instant coffee, but have most of my pantry items stored in Moccona jars. I would love some more small ones. It sounds like you're headed in the right direction, LaMa. I hope you have a lovely weekend xo

Aaand I'm doing it again :rotflmao: Feeling good for a minute and immediately starting 12 projects that'll burn me out and remain half-finished.
I don't drink instant coffee, but have most of my pantry items stored in Moccona jars.
I was just thinking empty pickle jars would be fine for now. Won't take long to get plenty of those and they're probably big enough for most of the stuff I need to store. Baby steps, not neck-breaking leaps.

I use Moccona jars because I like their shape. The pickle smell seems to stay in our pickle lids, so I only use them for the next lot of pickles, relish or chutney. Take it easy, LaMa. I tackle too much too, but I am trying hard not to. It's a fine line between doing too little & too much. Don't forget that you also work full-time xo

My mom just warned me of the same problem with pickle jars (I thought soaking them in hot water with bicarb would solve it) and she used to can a lot as well so I'm going to take your word for it and go to Ikea at least for large jars (first, then some other stores).

While I was looking for suitable jars I found some stuff that's definitely expired and should be thrown out so I took care of it rather than procrastinating. *Pats self on head.* One of them was a jar of Mirabell plums I made at least 8 years ago. There was still a vacuum and they smelled lovely so throwing them out hurt my heart but I did it anyway...

Edit: I don't work full-time but still enough to drain my energy so thanks for the reminder that enough is enough. Promised to do a bit of overtime for the next couple of weeks again as well, so best take care anyway.

Ikea was a bust but I found some great containers at a smaller store, from a smaller brand. Definitely more expensive this way but not crazily so and I kind of prefer it this way. Didn't buy all at once but made a decent start: 4 large ones and 5 smaller.

What I was going to say before going - squirrel! - was that it's interesting to feel my mind feeling rested and active while my body is just heavy and tired.

Breathing is ok now so I assume that really was allergy-related, but I guess the meds could also be making me tired. Also: on my out of Ikea I was kind of frustrated. I could really feel the tension build up inside. Then I realized it was building up to an excuse for a binge. And somehow I managed to just pop the tension bubble. Fingers crossed it won't regrow later today.

Back