Llama

Had a great big salad for dinner (2 small pickled herring, two small red beetroot, one apple, a huge handful of spinach, two large pickles, and 30 g of stuffing cubes), which was very nice, and... haven't done anything else, really. Walking around in the slush for over 3 hours yesterday and slipping&sliding on the refrozen slush today seems to have knocked me out properly. Blood pressure was also low this morning; that probably didn't help.
Still feel like it would be good to go for a short walk before bed, just because sitting down too long isn't good for me. We'll be solidly above freezing tomorrow (3°C inside the city) so the rest of the slush should melt away and leave me free to walk properly. Oh! I could go do my grocery shopping now. Not a proper walk but enough to get the blood flowing and something I can actually get motivated for. The things I get excited about in lockdown...

Also: need to plan for tomorrow.
- Family exercise
- Cannellini pizzetti with tempeh crumbles.
- Herring salad.
- Walk.
- Lentil curry.
- Protein pudding and fruit. Don't know which variation yet.

Your food is always really different to ours & I find that difference really interesting. Whenever I see pickled herrings I almost always feel like buying some, G used to love them, but now baulks at them. If I see some at a food market (unlikely) or a nice deli I am going to get some. Out of a jar doesn't appeal as much. I love pickled stuff. Are stuffing cubes croutons?
Hope you got the evening walk in LaMa. I asked G about his Dhal, but the recipe he based it on was nothing like how he made it & he has no idea what he put in it, so there's no point trying. There was lemon grass I know though as we had some fresh stuff.

Your food is always really different to ours & I find that difference really interesting.
:D Feels fun to be exotic sometimes. Having lived alone for half my life I guess my choices have become very... specific in some ways. I know my mom thinks I'm a bit of a weirdo about it! That's ok though: there's a big difference between cooking for one and cooking for a family.
Are stuffing cubes croutons?
I guess? I never know what to call them. For me croutons are flavored and probably baked but I just get the half-kilo bags of cubed, dried white bread they sell for dumpling-making here. I don't like Semmelknödel (the dumplings you make with them) but I do like to have a super cheap carb I don't have to cook. They give a nice crunch to things if added last-minute or soak up the juices of a dish if added earlier. Super convenient for bread salad as well and easy to portion out perfectly.
I asked G about his Dhal, but the recipe he based it on was nothing like how he made it & he has no idea what he put in it, so there's no point trying.
That's a shame, but thank you for asking! I'll use a simple beginners' recipe for now and start experimenting from there. I think my alternative grocery store has yellow mung beans and I'd like to have a reason to add them to my repertoire. Plus it seems kind of weird not to have a go to curry recipe for someone who likes plant-based dishes (now that my allergies seem to be allowing for it). And more cheap/healthy/delicious food options are never a bad thing!

Next time he makes it, I’ll sit there & watch him & write it all down. He made these wonderful middle eastern veggie burgers with tzatsiki & I did that. I’m going to put the recipe online soon so I can share & save it.

Hi LaMa! I make a Greek mung bean soup with oregano in it that I love a lot. Mung beans are awesome, like most other beans. The gender thing being politicized is hard for me as I am raising a girl and here in California it's cool to be "trans" if you are a teen girl. So there are whole junior high schools here locally where most of the girls identify as trans. I have trans friends, and they went through a lot as far as being miserable as their birth gender. It was not a flip fad type decision in any way. So I feel weird about the whole fad aspect. But maybe what's happening is that a new generation is redefining what female is to them? Not really sure what is happening here culturally, but it's definitely a big change. I never cared much for being treated differently because of my gender. It always startles me when that happens.

I adore pickled herring, but rarely find it in the stores here. It's more of an east coast thing in the US, I think. It makes my mouth water every time you mention it! So glad all the work schedule chaos isn't throwing off your game. And that you can find happiness in slush walks! I really hope you can get some nature walks in soon!!

I am raising a girl and here in California it's cool to be "trans" if you are a teen girl. So there are whole junior high schools here locally where most of the girls identify as trans.
I hope I don´t offend anyone if I compare it to gluten intolerance. Celiac´s disease exists, it needs to be taken 100% seriously, and when you´re gluten intolerant it influences your life so much. Gluten becoming a buzzword made a lot of people more aware of the issue and did make glutenfree alternatives more available. Which is great! HOWEVER the rash of people who claim gluten intolerance without actually having it and who will still have wheat when they happen to feel like it without the horrible effects someone with celiac´s would have has also made a lot of people more cavalier about proper gluten safety around people with actual celiac´s. And that´s not good at all.

I completely agree with you. I don't know why people want to be different, but there does seem to be an urge in a lot of people to have something special which makes them different. But if they just got to know themselves better, they would see that we all have differences that make us unique and special. I think this may just be a mass crisis of identity.

Also I don't have gluten intolerance, but I do love gluten free stuff because it tastes richer and I get more varied nutrients. So I hope I don't come across as one of those gluten free people who don't need to have gf. I also like the challenge of baking with flours which are harder to work with.

I think this may just be a mass crisis of identity.
Maybe? Probably not. Teens and adolescents looking for who they really are, how they relate to the world and its rules, and what they want to grow into is a thing of all times. If people exploring their gender identity leads to others assuming that transness is "just a phase" (like a lot of folks claim of bisexuality, for example) that´s clearly a bad thing. But if it leads to people figuring out what they want gender expression to look like for each of them individually, stretching out the too-narrow confines of what society allows us to be WHILE SIMULTANEOUSLY respecting people who actually are trans and need support and/or transition resources I don´t see a crisis. I´m not an expert though, and I don´t want to make this about me. So... gluten? I dislike most glutenfree stuff. I love wheat and the storebought gf stuff tends to have less fiber and more additives than the products it´s trying to replace. I´m allergic to several of the alternatives so I´m not going to do any glutenfree baking just for variety . But if you simply like the creativity of using alternative flours or try to add more variety to your diet and you don´t tell other people you´re intolerant when you aren´t I don´t see a problem! I definitely wasn´t trying to attack you and I´m sorry if it came across that way.
Edit: I also don´t care if people have issues with wheat other than celiac´s disease as long as they´re consistent and clear about the messaging. And if we were more respectful of each other´s preferences regardless of allergies/illness we could probably avoid this mess altogether.

Back to the business of food and exercise: my gi tract did not like the curry I made at all. I don´t think it was the ginger as I didn´t use very much and I haven´t reacted to ginger lately. So maybe it´s the turmeric? That´s the only part I don´t normally use: I don´t like the flavor and back when I tried taking it in larger amounts for the supposed anti-inflammatory effects it definitely did upset my stomach. Used a lot less per portion today though so I hadn´t expected a reaction. It could be the "possible traces of every allergen you can think of", of course. Or maybe it was just a random event and I should try another portion when my stomach calms down. Either way I was annoyed and miserable enough that I went to the grocery store, got a massive amount of chocolate, and binged. Ate 400g of caramel-filled chocolate even though I didn´t particularly enjoy it. More miserable now and there´s another 400g in the kitchen. Which I may or may not throw away tomorrow. Let´s see how sensible I am.

The gender thing being politicized is hard for me as I am raising a girl and here in California it's cool to be "trans" if you are a teen girl. So there are whole junior high schools here locally where most of the girls identify as trans. I have trans friends, and they went through a lot as far as being miserable as their birth gender. It was not a flip fad type decision in any way. So I feel weird about the whole fad aspect.
I think that for some folks it's hard to accept trans narratives that are not centered around binary identities: AFAB trans men and AMAB trans women. (In reality, both cis and trans gender expressions defy this binary, and non-binary folks are known across cultures and history, f.e. Native American "two-spirit" individuals.) The medical accommodations are still however focused on these two options trans man or trans woman, which can make it seem like trans people who fall outside the gender binary are some kind of attention seekers, or that there's suddenly an influx of trans folks when the science quite clearly dictates that it's an inherent trait and not to be either ingrained into a person through culture, or to be removed via violent methods like conversion therapy. So most likely what you are worrying about is gender expression, not gender identity (which is inherent).

I am unsure what you (@Marsia ) mean by transness being a sough after or cool identity "among girls". Sure, more folks might come out now than before as coming out is no longer an instantaneous social, or literal, death. But trans boys who have been assigned female at birth have existed across the globe and across cultures and historical time periods; the names used for such individuals have varied across the times and of course, being able to seek hormone treatments and surgical options are a relatively new thing. Even if some of the "girls" you are speaking about are indeed girls who end up exploring new possible identities, I have a hard time seeing any harm in this. The process to begin treatments is so incredibly draconian that no one gets to transition "by accident". On the other hand, as hormonal and surgical options are limited to binary trans people, sometimes in order to get the treatments one needs to lead a life of decent quality, it is worth it for the individual to express a binary identity, when in reality they may identify as non-binary. Young people also tend to have a strong sense of justice and a willingness to change the world, so some of the folks who are positive about trans people and express this out and proud might be allies, but to a boomer just having a trans pin on your backpack might sometimes incite a full blown trans panic.

I'm not sure how I feel about LaMa's gluten metaphor. In a way I do like it. Being forced to conform to a gender that you are not is acutely painful and shitty, as would be being forced to eat gluten while having caeliacs. But has the "gluten free fad" really made things worse for actual caeliacs? Or is it that under some circumstances you might need to tell the cook that YES I WILL SHIT MY BRAINS OUT IF THERE'S WHEAT IN THE ROUX AND I CAN'T HELP IT, and under most circumstances it's fucking great to go grocery shopping and visit a cafe where there are actual options available, and the staff knows what gluten-free even means...? Like, I don't feel my own identity as a trans man being threatened by high schoolers trying to figure themselves out. They have no power in this society anyway and absolutely no means to fuck up anyone else's life - unlike, say, unaccepting family members do, or religious authorities, or doctors who refuse to follow the science, or psychiatrists who belittle trans identities. Those are the people I rage against, not teens with trans flag pins and silly TikToks.

I try to keep myself outside of the whole trans moral panic as much as I can, because it's so clearly just one of the ways that cultural discourse is trying to readjust itself to a new reality. Now that the science is solid enough and we have enough data from the past 100 years that trans people indeed need transitioning either societally or medically to live a life of decent quality, and that it's not something that can be "transferred" culturally, and not something that can be done away with lobotomies, electroshocks, conversion therapies, shaming, and corrective rape - the only tool left in the toolbox of deeply transphobic people is to claim that it's a fad, and just something that stupid teens do because they are stupid. Trans people today are talked about the same way as suffragettes were 120 years ago, and yet, thanks to suffragettes we all AFAB folks in this thread - female or not - are able to vote.

I think the best medicine against trans panic is information. Often by someone who is not trans, because I will be accused of having an agenda either way. So here is a video essay series by a cis woman with a PHD in cognitive psychology, Cass Eris, who in this series analyzes the narrative that trans men are confused little girls with internalized misogyny issues who want to transition because they think it's cool, as the current narrative goes. It will probably be interesting and very soothing to all worried mamas out there.

Last edited:
Thanks for chiming in, Floater. Knowledge is power but understanding is even stronger.
Hah, don't thank me. It's late night and I'm not sure I did justice to this important topic. Open, honest, and respectful discussions save lives though. In general, too, but in this context trans youth's lives especially.

Oof. Stomach-pain o'clock... Not sure if due to the allergic reaction or due to the chocolate. Probably both. Gross either way. Glad I don't have to go to work tomorrow!

Sorry for my ignorance, Floater. When I was growing up, we sheltered our gay friend from coming out so he wasn't beaten up. So the idea of so many kids who identify as an alternative gender (whatever gender) sort of terrifies me for them. I didn't mean any disrespect by it. I should shut up now because I know absolutely none of this vocabulary or acronyms and probably sound totally ancient and out of touch - because I am! I just hope that what is happening now means people stop being horrible to each other over differences.

Hi LaMa. So sorry your stomach is having so much trouble, and hope you feel better. I didn't get offended about gf stuff. Here there are just awful gf baked goods that are packaged, and a few winners. Most of the good gf stuff I get already made is from our wonderful health food store.

Thanks, my stomach is a lot better than it was during the night but definitely not back to normal yet. Realized I should've taken antihistamines last night and didn't so I took some just now. Back to mostly meat, cheese, and white carbs until the system calms down again. Plan:
- Small cheese&mushroom pizza
- Corn cakes&bologna
- pitabread with herring and boiled red beetroot (the herring needs eating today)
- Protein pudding if I do get hungry
- As many corn cakes as needed

Just got up and walked down to the garbage room to get the leftover chocolate out of the house. I know myself: the temptation to eat it all would keep building despite my stomach still feeling crappy and I'd end up caving. It hurt to do but I feel better about it already.

No worries, @Marsia . It is a sad reality that hate crimes against trans people, trans women especially, are at a horridly high rate. And it makes sense to fear things that might make your child a target. But on the other hand, being forced to live closeted has it's own detriments, suicide in the worst case scenario. Let's just be happy that times have changed and things are at least a bit better now. As understanding increases, the dangers decrease!

And don't worry about the acronym stuff either. AFAB means "assigned female at birth", which means women and trans people with female-typical external genitalia, whether they are intersex (biologically carry characteristics of both sexes) or not. AMAB means "assigned male at birth", same thing but in reverse if you will. Cis means a person whose gender identity matches their sex + assigned gender, trans means a person who experiences a conflict between one's gender identity and sex + assigned gender. Nonbinary is an umbrella term for people whose gender identity doesn't fall into either male or female, and they also fall into the trans spectrum. It's OK to not know every bit and bop!

I hope you don't feel negatively about our discussion. I think that the more people are able to live their authentic lives, the safer they'll be. Take care!

My stomach was not impressed with the herring - no surprise of course but I'd hoped it'd pass before my run. Didn't happen but I ran anyway. Was kind of scared of the incline from 3.7-4.7 km but it ended up being easier than I remembered. Was so relieved I overlooked my 5k marker and since I knew the rest would be downhill I decided to just run home. Which gives me my first 6k run! I have no desire to push the distance further but I'm very happy with it.

Had bad chocolate cravings by 10 am so it's a good thing I threw away my stash right when I got up.

Back