Kilts and heavy objects

naa evo ur not weak and u soo don't suck. everybody has an off day, just ask me i could tell of many off days! chin up it will be better tomorrow. :)

evolution said:
Orrrrrr........
I'm just weak and suck.

or maybe it was the lack of sleep, calories and the early morning workout like you first guessed.

I don't know if it is the same way with you, but I find that I have to be totally awake when doing the quick lifts like snatches and cleans.I can't just wake up and be primed for explosive movements like that so I think this is a significant factor.I wouldn't beat myself up over it if I were you.Not to mention the 5 sets of 140 in the snatch is pretty respectable for a guy your size no matter what time of day it is.

ballast said:
or maybe it was the lack of sleep, calories and the early morning workout like you first guessed.

I don't know if it is the same way with you, but I find that I have to be totally awake when doing the quick lifts like snatches and cleans.I can't just wake up and be primed for explosive movements like that so I think this is a significant factor.I wouldn't beat myself up over it if I were you.Not to mention the 5 sets of 140 in the snatch is pretty respectable for a guy your size no matter what time of day it is.

I hear you. I'm really pretty much the same way and is why I switched my workouts to midafteroon. I get my best workouts right around 2 after I've a thousand or two calories and lots of waking up. Today just kinda worked out the way it did...I suppose even a crappy workout is better than no workout. Thanks Matt.

You're right Jenn...I realized a long time ago that I wouldn't set new PRs every workout and some workouts would just suck.

Week 4/Day 1-Mon

Didn't make it to the Oly lifting center but did make it to a new gym to check out. Nice one...has the monolift, platform, bands, chains, etc etc etc

A)full snatch:3X3@155, 1X2@160, 1X2@165
B)squat:1X5@315, 2X3@335, 1X2@345
C)push press:1X8@135, 1X3@(155, 165, 175, 180)

D1)inc 1 arm db press:2X6 w/85
D2)cable cruches:2X12

I'm going to use the monolift because I don't like the stand under the power rack which has a metal base and I can feel my feet starting to slip...sucks for stability

Evo. I really love all your moves as I look through your journals more and more. Hopefully, I will convert more of my moves to eventually look more like yours ; ). Although, Im not at the point where I understand all your breakdowns and splits. Keep it up.

Champr23 said:
Evo. I really love all your moves as I look through your journals more and more. Hopefully, I will convert more of my moves to eventually look more like yours ; ). Although, Im not at the point where I understand all your breakdowns and splits. Keep it up.

Thanks. I'm still learning to maximize my own training. I'm trying to wrap my head around Eastern bloc training and apply it to my own training. Basically what you see is kinda' what I need to get strong to help my Highland throwing/ athletic ability.

Hmm.. Never stop learning eh?

Anyway, don't mean to invade your thread but is this the correct way to do a push press?

Some guys told me that it is dangerous this way and im done for if i do it like this.

Champr23 said:
Hmm.. Never stop learning eh?

Anyway, don't mean to invade your thread but is this the correct way to do a push press?

Some guys told me that it is dangerous this way and im done for if i do it like this.

Nope, never stop learning when you're going to be coaching athletes. Yup, that's the push press. I keep my heels on the ground. Nope, keep good form and you should keep yourself from injury.

Week 3/Day 2-thurs
A)power snatch:6X2@95

B)power clean+press:6X2@105

C1)squat:6X6@255
C2)cable crunch:6X15
C3)hammer curl+press:6X12 w/35s

Not a bad workout...went pretty fast, keep rest times down to about 30 seconds between sets and 1 minute between movements.

Week 4/Day 1-Mon

A)hang power snatch:1X2@75, 5X2@100
B)hang power clean+press (1/3):6X2@115
C)RDL w/2 sec pause:6X6 w/180

D1)bb curl+press+extension:3X12@75
D2)crunches:3X20

Not bad, still feel bloated and massively full from Christmas eating non stop.
**This is the beginning of a loading phase in which I really hope to tear myself down starting next week for two weeks and then have 2 back off weeks...gotta love Eastern bloc training.

Week 4/Day 2-Weds

A)snatch:6X2@135
B)power clean:6X2@135
C)push jerk:6X4@165
D)front squat:1X4@185, 1X4@195, 1X2@215, 3X2@225
E1)hammer curls:1X15 w/35s, 1X12 w/40s, 1X8w/45s, 1X12 w/35s
E2)cable crunches:4X12

Had a bit of trouble with the front squat, didn't work up to what I should've but ah well.

Ev-Nice numbers!And after 18 sets of quick lifts, I doubt I could front squat a broomstick let alone 2 plates per.Nice job!

Matt

ballast said:
Ev-Nice numbers!And after 18 sets of quick lifts, I doubt I could front squat a broomstick let alone 2 plates per.Nice job!
Matt

Lol, thanks Matt. It should be interesting. Next week will start running into 2 day trainings for two weeks and then a taper week. And we'll be getting back together to start throwing again next week...I'm really looking forward to it, well both throwing and pushing myself to the absolute bounds.

Week 4/Day 3-Fri

A)snatch:1X2@95, 6X2@120
B)power clean:7X2@160
C)push press:7X6@160
D1)squat:7X4@290
D2)hammer curls:7X8 w/40s
E)cable crunches:4X12

Not to bad...nice work up in volume.

Week 4/Day 4-Sun

A)snatch:1X2@120, 1X2@135, 6X2@155
*I had one missed rep that I had to drop before getting into the squat position and a few power snatch+OH squat reps

B)hang clean+press (1/8):8X8@140-1 hang clean+8 presses=1 set

C)RDL:7X5@220

D1)tire curl:4X20-this is literally a tire with a rim, didn't feel like taking the weight off the bar.
D2)ab stuff

Week 5/Day 1-Tues

A)snatch:1X2@(125, 135, 135) 1X1@(145, 150, 160, 170, 180)

B)clean and jerk:1X2@(135, 145) 1X1@(170, 175, 180, 190, 195, 200)

Spent the day in lectures and meeting professionals in the field of education. We had an hour lunch break during the 9 hour long workshop...so off to the Welness Center I went. It was nice to be back in the rack I've spent the last 8 months working out in. The other rack was being taken up by a guy squatting 405 for reps...it was a most beautiful sight.

Looks like throwing will start a week from this Sat...excited about that.

Great thread! Hope you don't mind me posting a couple of Dan John things. My favorite quote. "That thing on your face....it's the floor." Favorite new pic of the man...

Garddawg said:
Great thread! Hope you don't mind me posting a couple of Dan John things. My favorite quote. "That thing on your face....it's the floor." Favorite new pic of the man...

I'm a big fan of Dan John; he's always put out good, quality stuff.

ballast said:
Ev-Outstanding work!Especially the snatch.Isn't your current bodyweight right around 180?
Matt

I hit the scale today and my weight came to 183. Last time I snatched to a max, it was 170 and that was at the height of having a coach. I regressed a bit in the lifts but it looks like they're moving forward. I've come to truly believe that to increase snatch, clean, and jerk numbers they have to be practiced frequently and often.

Thanks for the compliment.

Back