Kilts and heavy objects

I'm starting a new journal log since I'll be training for the Scottish Highland Games. I'll prob just structure this to the actual games and then start a new log

Week 1/Day 1-Mon
A)1 arm bb snatch:1X3@65, 1X3@75, 1X3@85, 1X3@95
B)full snatch:1X5@115, 1X4@125, 1X3@135, 1X2@145, 1X1@155
C)squat:1X6@225, 1X4@315, 1X3@365, 1X2@385, 1X3@405, 1X2@425
D)Romanian deadlifts:2X12@185

Tested for a 1RM in bench-295

Tomorrow is events training, see ya' then.

very cool evo. i've read about that from dan john, sounds like alot of fun.

when is the event?

It's quite a ways away--August in Tulsa and Sept in OKC. However, they have a few down in Texas around April, so I'll prob shoot for one of those if my guys are going. Jonesy has decided to train with me also since we already do the strongman training on occasion and we max out with each other. So, if the other guys don't make it to one of the Texas ones, Jonesy and I will go.

This should be fun since it's hittin in the 40s and below.

And, by the way, Dan John rocks.

ballast said:
ev-Good luck with the comp and your training.I'm looking forward to your log.

Matt

Thanks, Matt. This will be an interesting journey.

**thanks, Abear for the compliment...forgot to say that earlier.

***My legs hurt***

Just think of how bad they're gonna hurt after you get sunburnt from wearing that kilt.

And remember, only true scots go commando under that thing :D

hehe all kidding aside, give em hell bro !

This is gonna be good.. What type of lifts/events are included in the competition? And one more Q, how is it divided, like by weight? age? etc...

Did anyone else see that? :eek: ! holy shmit.. Is that a PR evo?

aevans410 said:
Just think of how bad they're gonna hurt after you get sunburnt from wearing that kilt.

And remember, only true scots go commando under that thing :D

hehe all kidding aside, give em hell bro !

lol...I'm partially Scot, so I can go partially commando. :p

Thanks bro!

Thanks Megan

mreik said:
This is gonna be good.. What type of lifts/events are included in the competition? And one more Q, how is it divided, like by weight? age? etc...

Did anyone else see that? :eek: ! holy shmit.. Is that a PR evo?

I'll get to the weight divisions and events in just a second. And, yup, that was a PR...pretty excited about it.

Week 1/Day 2-Tues
*events day*

**I'm sore as hell today**
I'll list events in the order they were done. I'll be throwing in the 190 pd weight class and under.

A)Braemar stone: I threw about 8 times and managed a poor 25.3 inch throw
*this is ~26 pd stone that you stand behind a block, squat down, and toss for distance.

B)Open stone:I threw this about 6 times and managed a poor 28.2 inch throw.
*this is ~20 pounds and you get a wind up. It's nearly exactly like a shot put throw, my technique is really flawed but I got better with a little tweaking here and there. I"m taking way to many stutter steps.

C)56 pd weight for distance:I think I hit 17" but I can't remember exactly.
*this is essentially a weight that is attached to a chain that you swing around and throw. This is very very technique oriented as the once you get the weight swinging, you're going with it and that's that. My trouble with this is I'm wanting to throw it like a discus and not getting enough V rather I'm using to much of a wide arc and was trying to lead with my shoulders. It kept throwing me off balance. It's an ugly event. I'll actually be throwing a 42 pd in competition but I'm practicing with a 56 pd.

D)light weight for distance:I wish I would've written these down.
*This is a bit lighter, I think 28 pds. It's a weight that's attached to a chain and you get a nice wind up and swing it as far out as you can. It's much like the 56 pd but, well...lighter.

E)Light hammer throw: I can't remember what the weight on this was but it's like PVC pipe with a cannon ball attached to end of it. You pull it around and whip it up and get a huge circular motion going with arms straight. I'm trying for one good wind up and two swings. I managed 52" on this.

F)Caber toss: I worked with a 15.6 inch caber that weighed around 80 pds. You lean the caber back on your shoulders. Lean over and cup the rounded end and lift it up. Once you get it up, you pop it up so that it's resting at your mid chest level...imagine poping up a telephone pole. You then run in a half-stooped up position and throw it. This one wore me out after my fifth working with it.

G)Sheaf toss: It's a burlap sack filled with rope. You have a pitch fork, you stab the bag, get a good pendulum swing with both arms and hips and toss that sucker for height. We use a back stop to judge height. I"m getting it a few inches short of making it over the back stop.

We stopped here as a few of the guys had to split. We didn't get the weight for height but we'll hit that one next week.

So much technique involved...crazy stuff and I love it. It looks like I'll be traveling in April to teh SanAntonio competition with them.

The competitions are divided by weight class, experience, and age.

Well, Aevans, hopefully I'll attend a Games near you.

Week 1/Day 3-thurs

A)snatch high pulls:1X3@(115, 125, 135, 145, 155, 165)

B)overhead squat:1X5@(135, 140, 145, 150)

C)push press:1X3@(145, 155, 165, 175, 185)/jerks:1X2@(185, 190, 195)

D1)power curls:3X8@120
D2)inc 1 arm db press:3X8@(80, 70, 70)
D3)cable crunches:3X8@170

E)farmers walks w/130 pd dbs:1X22 seconds, 1X13 seconds
**Jon said The Games runs a farmers walk event at the end w/150 pounds each hand, but the heaviest my gym has are 130s...so will just keep working with these.

Week 2/Day 1-Mon

Warm up: 1/2 mile walk to gym, hip mobility stuff, rotator cuff work

A)snatch high pulls:1X4@135, 1X4@145, 1X4@165

B)squat:3X5@315

C)power curl+push press:1X8/2X6@125

D1)1 arm db inc press:2X8 w/80 pd db
D2)tree choppers:2X8 each direction (up to down, down to up, side to side)

E)lots of talking to a friend I hadn't seen in awhile.

Ha...yeah, it was a buddy of mine that I used to squat with every Monday but he had a bulging disk and had to take a bit of time off.

Week 2/Day 2-events

It was absolutely cold...in the high teens. We worked for about an hour and called it a night.

A)Braemar stone: 5 throws, fourth was the best throw at 25.6

B)56 pd weight for distance: 4 throws, kept at an average of 17.3

D)light weight for distance: 4 throws, 3rd throw the best at 24.2

E)Light hammer throw: 3 throws...best= ~52.4

F)Sheaf toss: 3 throws, Still a few inches short of making it over the back stop but a bit further than last week

Good stuff!

ballast said:
Great work, ev, especially the 56.How is your technique coming?

Matt

Apparently it's getting much better. The comment from the group was that Ii don't even look like the same person between last week and this week. The 56 is still a hell of a throw but it's getting better as I'm learning to take less steps and more jumps. I really can't wait till it gets a bit warmer outside. I'm hoping that next week I can start videoing some of it so I can start looking at my technique.

Ev-Good to hear your technique is improving so dramatically and I think your idea of videoing your sessions for later evaluation will contribute significantly.You are one strong fellow.I gave a 44ib kettlebell a few tosses and I doubt if it went 10 feet.Keep posting your log.Very inspirational stuff.

Matt

Back