Gastric Balloon

Status
Not open for further replies.
need advice with the ballon please

Hello

I am new to this site and would welcome any help in regards to the gastic balloon. i have been thinking about having it done but not sure if i should have the band?? whats the best thing?? i cant be ill afterwards for too long as i have 3 children and a husband who works too much, can anyone help?:ack2:

You all seem to be doing so well, I had the balloon in Feb and I have lost a couple of pounds, what am I doing wrong?

gastric balloon no weight loss

hi ya
i know exactly where u r coming from i had my balloon on 8th feb 08 here we are 24th march i weigh the same as wen i started im really annoyed wiv myself and i dont know why! i think it is because everyone else is doing so well
i had it done here in uk was ill 4 2 weeks if u fancy a natter maybe we could bash this out 2 gether

samm

Help Please

Hello All,

Is any one here in the US? I am thinking of going to Germany to have the Gastric Balloon as it is not avaliable in the US. Scared to death. Are there a lot of side affects. And is it worth it in the long run? Has any one reached there goal weight and had the balloon removed yet. If so. Was it all worth it?

Thanks

Gastric Balloon, the truth

I had the gastric balloon fitted on the 19th March and have lost 12lbs already. It seems like I have had it in forever and that I should have lost atleast 3 stone by now but that could have been why I struggled to lose weight in the first place.

The first 3 days were very very uncomfortable, if I could I would have taken the thing back out myself but just like they said after this time I started to feel better.

It is emotionally as well as physically draining. I crave normal food. My husband had a tuna sandwich the other day and I cried because I wanted one. It is hard just eating liquids day after day and seeing everyone else eat normally.

Anyone want to know anymore then just ask.

Clare

P.S If anyone can let me know what it is like to have it removed and how they felt afterwards please.

Balloon

Hi Clare,
I am due to have my balloon fitted this Thursday and am very apprehensive. My job involves a lot of eating out - is there any way that I will be able to eat just tiny portions of normal food or is it just liquids. Have you had any alcohol?
Any tips on how to make it through the first few days?
Would love to hear back from you.
Thanks
Julie

Dear Julie,
The first few days can be really horrible, you will probably regret having it done, the nausea seems to be constant and the only relief from it is to actually be sick. This is something that I learn't to do. Not the best thing I know but if you want a couple of hours rest without being uncomfortable then you have to. It doesn't help that you can only have water and that does nothing to help with the acid in your throat, you should get tablets though to help with this.
When I got through the first couple of days and got home I started having apple juice, milk and water for my drinks. Also get some bouillon, a powder made by marigold, will be in the gravy isle at your supermarket. I use this as a drink and also for lunch and dinners.
It is also ideal to put with potatoes and carrots and liquidise them into a soup when you feel up to it. I have had mine in for just over a week and my nutritionist has said that I can now eat normal food but chew it really well. So you will be able to eat out but just really small portions, probably recommend a baked potatoe and not eat the skin. Today will be my first day having mashed potatoe with some cheese. Can't wait, how sad is that.
What they don't tell you in the brochure is the emotional side of things, just because you can't eat something doesn't mean you don't want to, it is quite upsetting to see others eating normal food in the first couple of weeks because you are literally going cold turkey on everything.

Hope this helps, if you want to know anymore let me know.

Clare

Haven't had alcohol, they recommend not to as it is alot of calories and no nutition. Saving myself for when it comes out.

Last edited:
Gastric Balloons

Hi Carmes,
Thanks for replying to my post - really helpful. I will definitely get some bouillion. When did you have it done and what have you lost so far?
I am worried about the sickness as I have absolute 'iron guts' and am never sick so not sure how this is going to work.
Anyway, no turning back now.
Will let you know how I get on.
thanks again for the advice.

Julie,
I am also one that is never sick, the whole house can get a sickness bug and I do not come down with it. Being sick is soething that I hate to do, but in the first few days is necessary.

I had mine done on the 19th March so still very fresh in the memory. I have lost 15lb so far, the clothes are feeling loose but not so much around the stomach as it is still very bloated.

Good luck with everything, Let me know how it went once you are feeling up to it. Are you having it done in UK or abroad?

Take care

Clare

Hi Samm

How are you doing now? I am still struggling obviously I am going horribly wrong still, I have tried to write everything down but the weight is just not going down. I have only lost 6lbs despite doing loads more excercise and on the whole eating healthy food. Maybe I'm eating too much? If anyone can offer me some guidance I would really appreciate it, because the removal date will be here before I know it and I will still be the same :(

Hello Clare,

Would you be able to tell me one of the better places to go for the Balloon. I have been looking in Canada as it is closer to me here.

Thank you,
Mary

Julie,

I am also one that is never sick, the whole house can get a sickness bug and I do not come down with it. Being sick is soething that I hate to do, but in the first few days is necessary.

I had mine done on the 19th March so still very fresh in the memory. I have lost 15lb so far, the clothes are feeling loose but not so much around the stomach as it is still very bloated.

Good luck with everything, Let me know how it went once you are feeling up to it. Are you having it done in UK or abroad?

Take care

Clare

Hi all,
I am new. I really want to get a gastric balloon. Am researching. I'm interested to know how much people paid to get theirs and from where or if it was nhs, how long the process took, and what were the positives and limitations of this.

i am really interested in this procedure and it had been great hearing of people who have gone through it. i am probably going to go to prague to get it done as the cost is very high over here. has anyone used the NEW YOU clinic in prague?

thanks

Julie,
I have just come back from a boating holiday in Scotland. This was the first holiday I have been on since having the balloon, and all the typical holiday food came out, I am afraid I had some cakes, crisps, sweets, bread. You name it I had it, not in large quantities but I still had it, and I suffered for it aswell. I felt soooooo bad I could have cried. It made me learn the hard way that I cannot get away with eating those kind of things, I have only had it in 3 weeks so I am not giving myself too much of a hard time.

The sickness shouldn't last long, small amounts often, by the time you get this message though you will probably be over the worst. They say that you don't feel the balloon after the first week but I do. It moves around and gets under my ribs, it is like being pregnant again.

Hope all going well. I couldn't send you a private message, someething about a 5 message minimum whatever that means.

Clare

Hi, I went to prague to the bobies beautiful clinic. Bodies beautiful direct, I think thier web site was. It cost £1950, you had to pay for your hotel, about £45 and flights which arn't too bad.

Clare

I posted a while ago and figured I'd let everyone know how things have been going.

I was sick for almost 2 months. Puked almost every day (and I too was one never to be sick - but my body was trying to reject the balloon). I found that I was dehydrated and under-nourished and my body would hold what little I could keep down (including water), and let nothing in or out. It was horrible! Then I went to my doctor who put me on some vitamins, and since then I haven't been sick at all (almost a month now of no puking). I wish I could have gone to him sooner but he's so busy - fully booked until the end of the year too so I had to wait for my appointment.

As far as the weight loss is going - the balloon is not a miracle cure. It's hard work (you can't have it put in and expect the weight to just fall off - that will NOT happen). I work very closely with a dietician who has put me on a low GI diet.

After I stopped puking a month ago, I put on 7kg when I ate normally again. I've now lost that all with the correct diet and have started exercising slowly. I am being VERY strict with what I eat. And the weight is coming down very nicely now. I'm around 95.5kg. The balloon only helps to fill a gap instead of over-eating.

Last edited:
hi i am going to the new you clinic in prague at the end of this month..i am delighted to have found this forum and read other people experiances...it certainly was the cheaper option as the uk is so much more expensive i am terrified but have to do something as life as a large person is crap!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back