For the Vegetarians:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not really a vegetable eater and now I am trying to be one. What should I do to keep me motivated in eating veggies. To be honest, just the sight of it makes me sick.

Not a vegetarian by a LONGSHOT here, but I would experiment with a few recieps to see what kind of veggies you like. For example, I put some in my omelettes, and they actually improve the overall flavor. Also, I've recently discovered steaming veggies, and squeezing a lemon over it. Its really easy, and it tastes pretty good; a nice filling side to any meal.

Just test the waters a bit, and ease into it. Eventually you will find something you like, and you can stick with it.

This is awesome! My trainer always talks about meals... but they consist of chicken breast or other animal meats and I have a hard time substituting and getting the proper protein. I love that this support is now available!

Vegetarian food greatly contributes to the overall development of the body and i like it. there is actually no need to eat any kind of meat for survival.

Vegetarian food greatly contributes to the overall development of the body and i like it. there is actually no need to eat any kind of meat for survival.

?

I'm not bashing people who are vegetarians but I don't get the 'we don't need to eat any kind of meat for survival'. Humans aren't naturally made to eat just plants. We aren't biologicly created for it. I'm not saying that it's not a positive lifestyle choice..just wondering about the last statement as a reason.

The settled judgment of science is that man is an omnivore, capable of eating both meat and vegetables, much as certain four-year-olds might like to convince their mothers otherwise.

Like the hard-core carnivores, we have fairly simple digestive systems well suited to the consumption of animal protein, which breaks down quickly. Contrary to what your magazine article says, the human small intestine, at 23 feet, is a little under eight times body length (assuming a mouth-to-anus "body length" of three feet). This is about midway between cats (three times body length), dogs (3-1/2 times), and other well-known meat eaters on the one hand and plant eaters such as cattle (20 to 1) and horses (12 to 1) on the other. This tends to support the idea that we are omnivores.

Herbivores also have a variety of specialized digestive organs capable of breaking down cellulose, the main component of plant tissue. Humans find cellulose totally indigestible, and even plant eaters have to take their time with it. If you were a ruminant (cud eater), for instance, you might have a stomach with four compartments, enabling you to cough up last night's alfalfa and chew on it all over again.

Or you might have an enlarged cecum, a sac attached to the intestines, where rabbits and such store food until their intestinal bacteria have time to do their stuff. Digestion in such cases takes place by a process of fermentation--bacteria actually "eat" the cellulose and the host animal consumes what results, namely bacteria dung.

The story is roughly the same with teeth. We're equipped with an all-purpose set of ivories equally suited to liver and onions.

Good thing, too. I won't claim meat is the ideal source of protein, but on the whole it's better than plants. Sure, soybeans and other products of modern agriculture are pretty nutritious. But in the wild, much of the plant menu consists of leaves and stems, which are low in food value. True herbivores have to spend much of the day scrounging for snacks just to keep their strength up.

So make no mistake: we were born to eat meat. That's not to say you have to. There's no question that strictly from a health standpoint we'd all be a lot better off eating less meat (red meat especially) and more fruits and vegetables. But vegetarians aren't going to advance their cause by making ridiculous claims.

Hi there!! I am a peskatarian so technically I am not a vegetarian but almost as 'fussy' as my mum puts it ;) I would be happy to exchange recipies with people!

I wonder how can someone become vegetarian.If they are vegetarian right from the birth then its cool.But how someone can miss those chicken and all those delicious stuffs. I think life is incomplete without these non-veg stuffs.

It is a personal choice. Many do it for moral reasons, they don't want to eat the flesh of a once living being. Many do it for health.

And you can't be vegetarian from birth..it's a choice.

I'm going to take a shot in the dark here...

A good 10% of the posts in the Vegetarian section are going to be made by people lurking and making fun of vegetarians.

I disagree with much of what you've written, but those are my beliefs.
Personally, I believe that people are omnivores.
I also think that your political messages are not appropriate for this forum.

Last edited:
I think that ari000 is just trolling and trying to cause problems. He/she has posted the same post in several different places on the forums. Best just ignore them. The post comes across as a total attack on meat eaters.

I have been an overweight vegetarian for many years but have also gone back to eating meat a long time ago (I'm old!). What I learned from going to the gym is that pulses and lentils are half protein and half carbs so vegetarian diets can be overly high in carbohydrates. I made the decision to go back to eating meat. My trainer asked me once, what did you have for supper last night and I told him, ä can of beans and tomato sauce, and he said, "Way too many carbs for an evening meal". So that's my take on it.

However, after watching some reality tv last night on the food industry I wish I were a happy vegetarian again but I've got my trainer's words stuck in my head. The fast food industry has done so much damage to our food supply and the environment. And to our waist lines. Meat has become gross. There used to be some dignity in being a butcher before fast food made it such a dangerous occupation. Farming practices used to be more humane.

Anyway, I'm sticking with eating small bits of meat in the interest of lean protein.

Woots I'm so glad that there is now this meeting place for vegetarians. I used to be a vegetarian but went back to eating meat, and now I am a vegetarian on my way to becoming vegan. I don't really miss meat, just the cheese. Damn why does it have to be so yummy? It also doesn't agree with me because it congests my body. Happychubbette, I just came off doing a strict lean (animal) protein lo-carb diet, and I was really afraid to start adding beans and legumes into my diet because of the carb content. When you are vegetarian you aren't eating the high caloric content of animal protein so you don't really need to worry about the combo of eating animal protein along with large amounts of carbs. Years ago I used to be on a vegetarian diet by Dr. Dean Ornish, where he advised that you could eat as much healthy grains, vegetables, and beans and legumes that you wanted as long as you cut out saturated fat from animal protein and most fats. I lost a lot of weight and felt healthier. I was a vegetarian as a teenager and didn't eat very healthy, yet I weighed the lowest I ever have. Granted my metabolism was probably much higher back then. As a vegan I get my protein from hemp seeds and by eating 1.5 servings of beans/legumes a day along with 1.5 servings of grains a day. Even now I'm still a bit weary about eating a potato but that's just because I need to unlearn some of the teachings from the high protein diets I used to follow.

zera , i think you will not believe this , but i had no idea that in cheese is meat . That so sad - Because i just like cheese too much . Seems that i will not be vegetarian in soon future .. :/

The fast food industry has done so much damage to our food supply and the environment. And to our waist lines. Meat has become gross. There used to be some dignity in being a butcher before fast food made it such a dangerous occupation. Farming practices used to be more humane.

First of all, it wasn't the fast food industry that "damaged" our food supply. It was us - its customers. Blaming the fast food industry for the change in our food supply is like blaming Anheuser-Busch for drunk driving accidents. They just make the product - we choose to consume it.

And, as someone who knows the industry, I just have to say this...

Killing animals was never really humane, even before the big boom of the meat processing industry. Most people just refuse to see the reality of the food industry, both past and present. I think a lot of people get caught up in the whole humane/inhumane debate now-a-days because it's a popular thing to do. Most people, as I just said, probably don't even know what they are arguing against - they don't know the reality of it all - they just see what they want to see.

It's not like old timey butchers had some sacred, painless and gentle ritual that they performed while killing cattle. It was never peaceful. It has always been violent and ugly. Before the huge industrial push, butchers used to put a knife to a cow's neck and slit its throat. Then, it would bleed everywhere as it slowly died. I don't really see how that is any more humane than putting a bolt through a cow's brain and instantly killing it on the spot (which is how its done now for the most part).

Socially acceptable / Humane - slitting the throat, letting it bleed out, die slowly and painfully

Socially unacceptable / Inhumane
- putting a bolt through the skull, killing it instantly

Doesn't that seem ass backwards?

And, as someone who has killed animals before (for culinary reasons, not psychotic, "I have mommy issues" reasons), I can honestly tell you that killing an animal is always an ugly sight, no matter how "humane" it may be. Kill a lobster the "humane" way by shoving a chef's knife through its brain and cracking down on its shell, killing it on the spot...then watch it wiggle around for a good minute or so after it dies...and then tell me how "humane" our practices are in regards to killing animals.

Even the most humane of methods are still awful. And, personally, I think people need to see the truth behind it all instead of focusing on their mentality on the issue.

zera , i think you will not believe this , but i had no idea that in cheese is meat . That so sad - Because i just like cheese too much . Seems that i will not be vegetarian in soon future .. :/
Hehe hi Dancing.

There are many different types of vegetarians. Some people still eat dairy and consider themselves vegetarian. Technically you could stop eating animal flesh, eat dairy and still consider yourself vegetarian. Vegans don't consume anything that comes from animals. You have to do what's feels right for you and what you feel comfortable eating. :) I'm a vegetarian who tends to eat vegan 90% if the time. I like to eat cheese too, but I've mostly cut it out of my diet. I may have it once in a blue moon.

hey vander, welcome to the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back