Flyer's diary

i ate a pound of cherries yesterday
Not really a whole lot of calories, maybe 200 to 250? I am looking forward to cherry season here, still about a month away.

boy that's good to hear... i bought a lot for the freeze drier, but never realized how labor intensive it is to get the pits out.

i hate this feeling. i roasted some BBQ'ed boneless short ribs yesterday and they were just soooooooooooooo good. i'm ok with my morning coffee for the moment, but they're calling me already and it's still a few hours before breakfast. so strange because i'm not even hungry.

once again California is suffering a drought. ...or is it.

this may be an unpopular position to take, but they can take water conservation and stuff it.
show me that you have stopped building more houses.
show me an economy that is not based on there always being more people.

THEN i will start obeying conservation guidelines.

been spending a lot of time tending to some gardening projects. nice surprise this morning. a year ago i mixed some old potting soil with a lot of leaf and grass clippings from the local gardeners. i layered the greens with dirt, soaked the tub down with a lot of water, put on the lid and literally didn't touch it for a year. today i popped it open to find some rich feeling dirt without a sign of any vegetation. it completely broke down.

IMG_4295.JPG
a mulch container needs ventilation, but a tip i could offer...
don't try to drill holes in plastic containers like this...
turned out looking more like shotgun holes.

IMG_4294.JPG
still going to add some fertilizer, but i think this did the trick in refreshing the tired soil.

one more comment about the mulch... i filled up a pot with it to see how some seeds would react, but the oddest thing. every time i tried to water it, the water seemed to go right through to the saucer and left the "dirt" dry. i literally had to mix it like i was playing in mud but today it is bone dry again. the stuff just won't hold water.

since wandering out to have a few brews now and then i've been getting somewhat lazy with my diet. i've probably gained a few lbs, but i am back on a good schedule and i'll see how it settles out in a week. it's not helping that i've been passing on my busy weekends due to the 100+ temps up in Riverside almost this entire last month. bagels continue to be my Kryptonite.

FOX news is messed up. for days now i have been hearing stories about some black chick who finished THIRD in the US Olympic trials and protested during the National Anthem. NOTHING mentioned about DeAnna Price... the #2 hammer throw medalist in this country's history and who was standing on the 1st place platform facing the flag with her hand over her heart at the same trials after breaking 80 meters with her winning throw.

NO OTHER NEWS STATION is covering that protestor... ONLY FOX who have never mentioned Ms Price once.
kudos to a true athlete and some well deserved thanks ...
price2-08-19.jpg

this is interesting... i have seen posts that advise you to delete some of the metadata that follows e-photos like the GPS lat/ long coordinates you can choose to include when you set up your camera. but have you ever thought about paying attention to the background? just for fun i took the last photo i posted here and noticed "Rushing Liquor" in the photo. it took all of a minute or two to find that store in Google maps. the Googlemobile apparently cruised around the parking lot, so even the same angle is close.

morning joe.jpg

this probably sounds insensitive, but i'm done with caring about those dying from COVID in the U.S. anymore. last month over 99% of COVID deaths were with non-vaccinated individuals; a vaccine that is now readily available for anyone. there is no mystery who listens to right wing "news" broadcasts like One America or InfoWars.... they are the Trump minions. data is given to those audiences that is sorely twisted to reflect misinformation and the broadcasters there are aggressively denying the effectiveness of vaccination. this world could certainly use an idiot purge and that's apparently what is currently going on.

whether i have a cup of coffee across the street or half a mile away, can someone please explain to me how my bladder consistently underestimates the distance back home to my bathroom by five feet EVERY TIME...!?!

think i will be going on my version of the paleo diet for a few days...

been out all morning hunting for food with no luck. luckily i found a good source of drinking water close by. i will take shelter here and maybe tomorrow will bring some better fortune.

think i will be going on my version of the paleo diet for a few days...

been out all morning hunting for food with no luck. luckily i found a good source of drinking water close by. i will take shelter here and maybe tomorrow will bring some better fortune.
The parrots had better watch out!

years ago there was a report of a man who shot at the parrots for attacking his fruit tree. i don't believe it ended well for the homeowner. they move around quite a bit... this evening, nothing but a few strays heading for wherever the pack is gathering. you only see small groups or just a pair or two during the day. the "call to the flock" is their way of finding each other and getting together for the evening so this cacophony usually only lasts a few minutes at any one spot. there are various theories about where they spend the evening. frankly i believe they're all right.

in my paleo world, i occasionally find an interesting metallic bag which when opened and mixed with hot water generates a tasty meal.

i've just been too lazy and have been ordering in or eating out too much recently. many times i'm just enjoying the out of doors experiences that had been missing for a year. mixed with alcohol, my bar for an easy(er) meal has been getting too low. i'm going to limit my "walks" to one or two days a week and start getting back to some home cooking. luckily i have a good supply of freeze dried chili that is pretty much the same.

average bartender salary in my town is now $15.02/hour ... since bars have reopened i've been seeing a minimum of $1 ... some places, up to $2.50 price per pint increase. sorry bartenders... gotta conserve funds... no tipping for simply doing your job from now on.

this is frustrating... why can't i remember how to pronounce this word....!!?? :mad:

Back