Flyer's diary

stopped in for a brew or two on the walk home from a bank outing yesterday. beginning to discover the fate of some friends this past year. some of the daytime bartenders i knew are now evening bartenders and new guys are on the day shift now. at least one friend is now a Montana resident. pretty slim crowd... can you even call 5 guys a crowd? at least social distancing wasn't a challenge. discovered my pool playing skills have gone into dormancy.

Glad you were able to have some social time, Flyer. My husband started up playing in a pool comp again this week after over a year off & found the same thing. He loved it though & had fun. The only people in the bar were the 2 pool teams & the barman who played a couple of games as well for our team. The venue he used to play out of no longer has a pool table. One of our sons plays in the team too. Pool is a great social game.

i have a theory about games like golf, pool and darts.... it's probably true for others but i have some experience with these. you can get good with some practice. on a scale of 10, it's easy for me to get to a 7 or 8. but to get to a 9 or 10 level, the amount of practice increases something like 10-fold. in my 20's i was on a bar pool team. for a while i got so obsessed that i used to drive over to a bowling alley during lunchtimes where they also had some large format pool tables and i could spend an hour just practicing shot after shot. have to admit it really paid off, but it was too much pressure to keep up. eventually the "season" ended and my lunchtimes returned to some state of normalcy.

after the other day, frankly i'd just like to get back to a 5-6 level... :)

I agree with your theory. Our 2 sons were very good at pool & one represented Australia. They used to play constantly. Then life became more balanced :) Even without practice, they are both still about an 8 or 9. Like you, my husband would be happy to get back to the 5-6 level. I'm about a 2.

well i feel a little silly this morning. since i stopped and had 3-4 pints the other day followed ... i sort of remember... by a failed IF day, i've been a bit afraid to step on the scale...

04.27.21..166.0.jpg

i haven't been keeping track daily since i got my 2nd vaccination shot,
but checking once in a while, this is the first time i've seen a 0-0 day. ... yay?

COVID 04.28.21.jpg

i wish the reporting would emphasis that, with the vaccine, if you want to socialize
and you beat the odds by getting COVID, at least you're not going to die.

Last edited:
i hate to play fashion police, but this morning at the market wearing jeans, athletic shoes & a t-shirt, hands down i would have won best dressed. amazing what some people are not embarassed to wear early in the day.

chili day...!

6x chili day.jpg

tried notching up the volume from my typical 4x recipe to discover 6x is close to all my 9qt pot can handle. i'll throw about 14 cups into the freeze dryer and split the rest into some frozen portions and enough for the next few days. whenever i make something that takes longer than 10 minutes, it's got to last more than one or two meals.

Last edited:
Great video Flyer. I try not to tune in too much to the whole thing, but he presents the global view of this plague very well.

this should be interesting... CA guidance published yesterday.

CA COVID guidance.jpg

anti-vaccine? fine... just keep your mask on. in reality they are instructing the people who refused to wear a mask in the first place to continue ignoring guidelines. try explaining to an ignorant red-hat that they are delaying the return to normalcy... explain that the way mutations can be defeated is to severely lower the infection rate. ... it's like talking to adult 3-year olds... tantrums and rage included.

i've been thinking about getting some small grinder for things too much for the mortar and pestle, but i'm glad i decided to clean up the kitchen today. in a rarely visited lower cabinet i had forgotten about this mini-Cuisinart. left by an old roommate, it has a small crack which makes it useless for anything liquid, but for the freeze dried cauliflower, it worked just fine... actually extra fine... lol.

mini cuisinart.jpg

got to pick up some yeast and see what i can do with it.

maybe 10 years ago i had 6-8 dinner & salad plates in this set but as of this morning for posterity i thought i'd document the sole survivor. like the rest i'm sure its days are numbered...

IMG_4142.JPG

i try to mention this to anyone, so what better place... i am not in favor of bird feeders as birds aren't smart enough to properly manage a typically seasonal and/or sporadic artificial resource. but helping them out with water is not only beneficial to everyone, but a lot of fun to watch. for 99¢, a bucket lid from Home Depot is the perfect depth for a bath.

bbath.jpg

over on the left side... i discovered two reasons to put in a big rock. at first the birds seemed to be puzzled as to how deep the water was and i think putting in the rock helped them figure that out. and being made from plastic, it helps keep it in place if you are in a windy spot.
thought i would update this... last trip to Home Depot, the bucket lids are now $1.49 ... still a lot of fun for a little money.

would have had a picture for what i saw on my walk today, but i was busy helping.
i'll just offer this advice... if you own a 750+ cc bike, be wary of lending it to a five foot nothing, 90 lb teenager.
when her foot finally reached the ground, the bike was already well past the tipping point.

not sure how pervasive this is, but i have definitely noticed some price increases. i have yet to find a $5 pint of beer. Dos XX, $6.50? the brewery is less than 100 miles away...!, ...import? burgers at Dukes were over $15. for the first time .... maybe forever ... i thought to myself, this is way too much for a hamburger. i fear restaurants are trying to make up their losses for 2020 and it might backfire on them. i enjoy being out drinking a few beers, but so glad i can rely on my kitchen skills to crank out close to 100% of my meals.

Back