Flyer's diary

as the largest currency in circulation is the $100 bill, i doubt if there are many millionaires (which of course includes billionaires) who have even $100k at home in their piggy banks. i'm sure 99% of the wealth (positive & negative) for any country is on paper... the 8½ x 11 kind.

another example on how huge $1T is... there are about 5200 banks in the U.S. the largest banks keep about $200,000 cash in their vaults on average. that's just a bit over $1 billion if you made ALL banks in the U.S. large banks. you'd have to have 1000x the number of these fictional banks to just hold ONE trillion dollars.

Last edited:
big smile of relief this morning. haven't been in to see my GP in over a year, but just went in for blood tests a few days ago. every number looks great except of my A1C. i see on commercials for meds where everyone is dancing around and happy their A1C is less than 7.0%, but Kaiser claims that normal is .LE. 5.6%. at 5.7%.... so close...!! cholesterol (131 mg/dL) and triglycerides (57 mg/dL) look very good.

i suppose i should also mention, ... though some were very slight, every number was an improvement over a year ago. also some encouragement for anyone trying to get healthy after some years of neglect... Kaiser offers graphs of past tests and when i looked back to 2014, i can see i was headed in a very bad direction. i started to get slightly better even when i was still 200+, but these past 3 years have been very solid numbers which have slowly been getting better. ... hang in there. i don't think it is ever too late.

That's great news Flyer, I am really happy for you.

As for the fictional banks with fictional money... it's still important to be a nice person that people will help in times of struggle, no matter how many dollars in the bank!

i'm not sure this will stick as an everyday default, but it certainly makes #4 the new standard.

cinco de cinturón.jpg

waist measurements are always puzzling.
where do you put the tape... that varies when you read different opinions.
do you exhale?? ... inhale?? suck it in? let it hang out?

waist measurements are always puzzling.
where do you put the tape... that varies when you read different opinions.
do you exhale?? ... inhale?? suck it in? let it hang out?
The US Navy method for men is measured at the height of your navel with your arms at your sides, stomach relaxed (no sucking in), & after exhaling. The tape is kept perfectly horizontal.

For women it is the same except measured at the narrowest part of their midsection instead of navel.

*whew* ... first dentist visit/ cleaning in 15 months. going back to get a cavity fixed, but the better part was seeing an improvement in the coffee/ tea staining dept. ... :D

Kiwi fruit is packed full of nutrition & I love them. Our sons both eat the skin & I try to have some, but it's just too furry for me. I'll try again when they're back in season.

i've got two trays of kiwi in the freeze dryer today... should be done by this evening. it will be interesting to try. so far freeze drying has made other fruit skin close to unnoticeable. hope that's the case here. so much more work and less nutrition when you peel fruit.

I must try them in my dehydrator when they're in abundance here. Nashis are delicious when dehydrated.

Nashi... i had to look that up... i've seen them here as Asian Pears. have to say if i've ever tried one, i cannot recall when. not saying these might be different... they certainly look different... but pears, so far have been the biggest disappointment in the freeze dryer. not in the process, but i have found them to be one of the least flavorful fruits.

btw... when is kiwi season?

mmmmm... the kiwi turned out great. skin/ peel on and very tasty...
kiwi.jpg
i cut them vertically so i could remove some of the white core.
in retrospect i should have done a variety of cuts so i could compare.

i had to try it...
nanaskins.jpg
banana skins.
pro: they freeze dry'ed well.
con: they taste just like you'd think banana skins would taste like.

decided to double down on the kiwi fruit...
6lbs kiwi.jpg
the loose ones went up to 89¢ each, so the boxes were not only nicer looking, but cheaper now. still looking at $18 of kiwi (about 30 pieces). good to realize that skin-on is good when freeze drying, at least i'm using more of the fruit and getting more nutrition & fiber than if having to peel it. also quite a time saver...!

what a time i had trying to find my phone this morning.
i knew it was close, but even ringing it from "find my lost phone" ... three times (!!!) i had to call before i could pinpoint the location.

I would be interested to know which cut is best for the kiwis as I will be keeping an eye out for some inexpensive ones. Are these quite firm or soft? Which do you prefer when drying fruit generally or doesn't it matter much?

i would call these firm, but not rock hard. odd that i never thought about the ripeness before. only one was what i would call "bad". actually only half of one... it was very soft and when cut, really dark. i am not a big fan of plastic packaging either, but in this case, the packaged ones were in much better shape and larger looking than the loose kiwi fruit not to mention cheaper. but i won't argue with the prediction that plastic will someday bury us.

probably the best (and worst?) part about the freeze dryer is being about to have a bit of any sort of fruit at any time. six lbs (well, a lot less now) of kiwi now on the shelf...

kiwi 2.jpg

AM news this morning...

CNN... world reaction to Derek Chauvin verdict.
MSNBC... NBA, sports world reaction to Derek Chauvin verdict.

FOX... comparison of Biden vs Trump coverage in the news, how Biden is destroying the coal and natural gas industries.
OAN... why Trump was not responsible for the Jan 6 Capitol riot, Maricopa county (Arizona) still being accused of 2020 election fraud.

Back