Flyer's diary

Untitled.jpg

number of minutes in a year ... 525,600
COVID-19 deaths in the US ... 502,000+

in a week or so it will be one year since the first death in the U.S. attributed to COVID-19. yesterday 29 people in my county died. not from motorcycle crashes... these were people laying in an ICU bed gasping for their last breath. what deaths are not counted?

“Some people who never had the virus may have died because of disruptions caused by the pandemic,” says Dr. Steven H. Woolf, the director emeritus of the Virginia university’s Center on Society and Health and first author of the study. “These include people with acute emergencies, chronic diseases like diabetes that were not properly cared for, or emotional crises that led to overdoses or suicides."

"Many people who survive this pandemic will live with lifelong chronic disease complications. Imagine someone who developed the warning signs of a stroke but was scared to call 911 for fear of getting the virus. That person may end up with a stroke that leaves them with permanent neurological deficits for the rest of their life.”

I agree... there have been mistakes and the death count attributed to the Coronavirus is very likely not that accurate.
it should be much larger.

oranges went from 99¢ each to 88¢/ lb.
there's got to be some thinking behind this i don't understand... :)

oranges.jpg

Which store is it?
more than likely "Anymarket USA"... i dated an economics major for a while in college and one of her courses i found amusing involved Grocery Store Management. they do studies to see what sells the best... 2 for $1 or 49¢ ea. ... sell something for the market price, or mark it up and slash that price (graphically) to get to the same profit, but sell more. of course Supermarket Management couldn't hold a candle to my college roommate's homework when he was attending McDonald's Hamburger Academy. if only digital cameras had existed back then... :)

McDonald's Hamburger Academy
I went to a conference at McDonald's Hamburger University long ago. My meeting had nothing to do with McDonald's but one of the organizers was some how connected, so we got use of the place. It was a very interesting experience. The restaurants did not serve McDonald's food, suppose their usual clientele know better... I did come home with a nice HU shirt.

ah... you're right... Hamburger University sound more like the name i remember. i recall one day when he got really mad at us for looking through his presentations. the pre-computer graphic "exploded" burger views were a riot. i think we were searching for the special sauce recipe... :)

i feel better finding out later that this was the actual deal. they just wanted to get rid of the last pineapples with a blowout deal. glad i could help.

yup... one went right in the freeze dryer filling up half a load...! i'm finally starting to long-term store some of the fruit i freeze dry. you cant really find anything like it off the shelf (at a reasonable price) and there is no getting around the fact that in a survival situation, it's no time to count calories. there's no faster way to pack on a few lbs than with fruit sugar.

seven pounder.jpg

mmmmmmmm...

papaya.jpg

one of the smaller Mexican papayas for sale today at 5+ lbs.
really very little waste... the seeds are rather light... thought they were worth a shot at 77¢ /lb.
glad i have the freeze dryer... so much of the fruit i buy would go to waste without.

i've got to think the chocolate dipped strawberry industry took a major hit this past Valentine's Day.
these huge berries were down to $2.50/ lb with not a bad one in the 7 lbs i picked up... yummie.

HR 03.15.21 berries.jpg

well that was a bit embarrassing.
i had to call AAA to send someone out to get the &*$# lug nuts off my flat tire.

auto tip: if this looks like the lug wrench in your trunk ...
BMW lug wrench.jpg
go out and get one of these...
cross lug wrench.jpg

i threw on a pair of pants yesterday and noticed they were slightly snug, but i wound up wearing them all day. i've had these 35" waist jeans around for over a year, but every time i put them on before, i always decided... not yet. i have been flirting with the next hole on my belt, so i still seem to be chipping away at the last bulge i have.

i think i've decided that even though i'm at my college weight, i very likely had more muscle mass then.

Levi 35.34.jpg

intermittent fasting vs automatic dishwasher... at first glance you wouldn't think they are related topics.

this morning i got a moderate hunger episode and as they all begin, i considered... "maybe just this one time". so i hiked down to the kitchen, but seeing a few plates, glasses and flatware in the sink, i decided to wash some dishes first. ... then the counter needed a little bit of cleaning up. ... then i made some coffee. after pouring a cup and thinking a minute before heading back upstairs, i forgot why i came down to the kitchen in the first place.

... oh well. still an hour or so before breakfast. maybe i'll remember then.

( i do have a dishwasher. i use it a few times a year just to make sure it's still working.... :) )

i'd like to have a $1 for every time i see someone we're supposed to think is intelligent, make a fool of themselves. when you try to explain something that's hard to picture... sure... why not put it in OTHER terms nobody can picture.

idiot explaining $1 trillion.jpg

if you want to "see" one trillion dollars, picture a football field (American football) completely covered (including end zones) in stacks of $100 bills seven feet high... better? the U.S. debt ... 28 covered fields are in the book, we're working on the 29th.

Back