Exercise Club

Trusylver

Sport and Exercise Coach
Staff member
I have noticed there are clubs in this section for different weight ranges, walking and food of different types but not for exercise in general or the gym so here it is, the Exercise club.

drop in and log your exercise, and discuss the issues you may have with your workout. :)

I am heading to the gym now :D

I'll start.

I went back to the gym after a week (8 days :blush5: ) off today. Had intended to go for a swim but forgot my towel. I feel really good, but I think I may have pushed myself too hard given the time off.

Warm up- rower (3 min, gentle working up to moderate) and stretches. I noticed a twinge in my left knee which I thought might mean I'd have trouble getting through the work out, paid attention to it, and it seemed to resolve itself or calm down.

Then weights- 3x12 squats (legs not too far apart and with my back against the wall to protect my knees) with 4kg dumbells, 3x12 hamstring straight leg deadlift with 4kg dumbells (my range of motion is increasing although I did notice some irritation in my lower back. Nothing that seems to have lasted), 3x12 standing calf raises with a single 4kg dumbell (these have always been quite difficult for me, and today was no exception- they're borderline painful in my calves, although no problems with Achilles tendon as I have had), 3x12 lying hip abduction with single 4kg dumbell (that's 3x12 on each side- for some reason felt this in my calves as well as hips, although that could just be that my calves were/ are very sore), 3x12 (each side) side lunge (notice range of motion is increasing- with all things involving stretches I'm stretching to the point of full stretch and just short of where I think pain will start), 3x12 scissor kick (24 in each set to do each leg- not an "issue" per se, but I feel bloody silly doing these), and planks and side planks (side-middle-other side- middle for a set, held each for 30 seconds, did 3 sets)

Cardio- 20 minutes on the cross trainer on resistance 6 (out of a possible 20) on a uphill program (I usually do 15), 15 minutes on the stepping machine (pushing pedals up and down, not sure what it's called) on resistance 4 on a moderate hill program (I usually do 10), 500m on the rowing machine as fast as I could without feeling that I want to vomit (I usually do this to the point of wanting to vomit, decided to hold back a little- only added 5 seconds to my normal time! :cuss: ).

Then bicep curls because my cool down involves the rowing machine and I needed a break from it (3x12, 4kg, this was harder than usual although no specific problems)

Cooldown- 3 minutes very leisurely row and stretches.

Sounds like a good session amy :)

Not much to report here, It was a non lifting day yesterday but still hit the gym for cardio. Spent 40 minutes on the climbing machine (basically a never ending ladder) was almost dead at the end of it having climbed 1107 stands and burned 530 cals (based on HR monitor) followed up by a gentle 5k row taking a touch over 30 minutes as a warm down.

one of my goals at the moment is to be able to last a full hour on the climber equalling the only other person at the gym to do it (an old man training to walk the Kokoda track)

today's gym session, I am not listing my weights in this thread but if you really want the gory detail then check my diary thread.

Gym session

Warmup - Squat X 10 (more like squat jumps, weight was to light)
Squats (sumo), 5,5,5
Leg Press 10,5,5,5,4 (knee wraps on last set)
Hamstring Raises 3X10 with vest
Standing cable Hip abduction 2X10 each hip

20 minutes spinning (the equivalent of the working phase of a class if I was instructing as I was already warm)

only 1/2 a gym workout today, was called away for an emergency half way through

Clean + Jerk 2 X 5
Bench press 1 X 8, 1 X 8, 2 X 5
Close Grip Bench 2 X 8, 1 X 5
Skull Crushers 1 X 10, 2 X 6
Dynamic Bench 3 X 5
Seated Rows 3 X 5

again actual weight details are in my diary, missed out on cardio and the rest of my back routine.

I think I overtrained today, to make up for not having gone for a few days. I think this makes me stupid.

All strength training with 5kg dumbell(s) unless stated otherwise and if applicable (decided to move up- had planned 3x8 but found myself able to push on). I'm surprised with a lot of things that my range of motion just keeps getting better.

Warmed up on the rower, 3 min at leisurely pace. Then stretched.

3x12 squats with dumbells, pushing a bit deeper than I have been but still up against the wall to protect my knees. 3x12 hamstring straight leg deadlift (lower back irritation, but that was short lived as last time), 3x12 standing calf raises (I still find these very difficult in my lower calves/ upper ankles, borderline too painful), 3x12 lying hip abduction, 3x12 (in reality 3x24, as before) side lunges, plank and side planks as before (side-middle-other-side-middle for a set, 3 sets) but held for 40 rather than 30 seconds. Skipped the scissor kicks.

Then 3x12 chest presses, 3x12 seated row (with weights set to "4", not sure what that means but it was hard), 3x12 bicep curl, 3x12 tricep extension, 3x8 pushups (on dumbells, in girly pushup pose- I still find these incredibly difficult), and 3x12 lateral raises with 3kg dumbells (tried with 5, right shoulder was clicking painfully, asked instructor and he told me it should be easier/ would be more appropriate with 3 as this is a hard exercise to do)

Then 20 min on the cross trainer, resistance 7 (out of a possible 20) on an ascending hill program, 15 min on the stepper on a moderately easy hill program. Was going to go on the treadmill but the one remaining one was broken. Got on the rower with the plan to do a moderate- pushing myself 1km, but after a minute and a half I realised I'd pushed myself too hard today and got off. Stretched and went home.

As an addendum to above (mostly a vanity thing) I was wondering about "tone" and such. My concern has always been the lower half of my body- despite some of my recent pictures, I carry my weight in my thighs and butt (and if I have more than a couple of kilos to spare I start to carry it on my stomach). Today in the gym I noticed, as I have been of late, that my stomach is flattening, my thighs are quite firm/ hard, my butt doesn't wobble as much as it does... but my arms now wobble as if I'm skinny fat (I think that's a different wobble to simply "fat"). Should I change the emphasis of my exercises to try to regain/ re-emphasise the muscle in my arms?

You already have the tricep exercises in your program, I think it is just a matter of time and increasing the weights slowly to keep the exercises a challenge as your already doing.

well done amy. :)

Workout - Day 1 Phase 1, New Cycle (weights listed in diary)

Bench Press 3 X 10
Floor Press 3 X 10
DB Bench 3 X 10
Incline Bench 3 X 10
3 X 30 seconds biceps - Vibrogym

15 minutes rower
20 minute slow walk with a friend to help with their exercise.

I'm starting off really slowly with the exercise - I am at 318 pounds and I'm obviously not very fit at all at this point, so I don't want to push myself too hard right away and hurt myself.

Basically every other day I have been speed walking on the treadmill for 20-30 minutes and I do several 1 minute jogging intervals within that time. I also do some weight lifting afterwards. I am hoping to work up to more intense exercise. I would like to work out for longer and maybe use the bike and rowing machine soon. I can't wait until I can run for more than 1 minute at a time, lol! :D

That sounds like a fantastic effort for your size and starting out with, well done :) (I'm not trying to be condescending, when I was at my heaviest a few years ago I couldn't do anywhere near that)

That sounds like a fantastic effort for your size and starting out with, well done :) (I'm not trying to be condescending, when I was at my heaviest a few years ago I couldn't do anywhere near that)

Thanks! :) I try to push myself a little bit, but not too hard. I went through a stage last year where I was overly strict with myself about diet and exercise (not the right approach for me - it just lead to bingeing and falling back into my old ways because it was not a sustainable lifestyle), and I was working out nearly every day for much too long at a level that was too far beyond my comfort zone. I really hurt my knees because of this and could barely walk for several weeks. I have learned my lesson and now I am taking a more realistic approach. I'm worrying less about how fast I lose the weight and realizing that as long as I lead a healthy, balanced lifestyle, it WILL come off in time.

I'm trying to think that way too :)

Today I didn't get to the gym, but I did help my boyfriend clean his flat. Several hours of squatting, lifting (armloads of newspaper and stuff), and going up and down stairs to take stuff to the bins.

but my arms now wobble as if I'm skinny fat (I think that's a different wobble to simply "fat"). Should I change the emphasis of my exercises to try to regain/ re-emphasise the muscle in my arms?

Hi Amy,

When losing weight it is quite normal that the size of the skin lags from the rest of your body. This causes what you call the "skinny fat wobble".

It will probably stop once your skin adapts to your new size. If you feel uncomfortable with it, then focusing a bit on your arms will probably help because of the bigger muscle you'll develop.

Hope this helps,
Mario

wiresandwood well done getting some jogging into your walk :)

amy, it all counts :) and those armloads of newspaper have the potential to be heavier than your gym weights.

mario, amy is not going to gain muscle size at the moment while in a calorie deficit but it is something that will generally fix itself with time.

today is squat day on my new routine, I will report later.

Phase 1 Day 2 (weights not listed as usual, they are in diary)

Squat 3 X 10
Hamstring Raises 3X 10
Calf Raises 3 X 10
Hyper Extensions 3 X 10
Dynamic Deadlift 10 X 1

Dynamic work focuses on force production using ATP energy system

Rower - 40 minutes

Sounds like a great workout, trusylver!

I got on the treadmill last night, my calves felt a bit weak so I only stayed on for 15 minutes - made sure to run for 4 minutes of that though. Then I did the bike for about 20 minutes as well as some free weights. I want to slowly work up to a point where I can work out for an hour or so and not feel like I'm going to die, haha.

My usual routine was to speed walk on the treadmill for 45 minutes and then the elliptical machine for the last 15 minute to get a full hour. That was my routine for the last three weeks and I lost 12 pounds.

I wanted to change it up so this week I started by doing the treadmill for 10 minutes at 3:3-3.5 and go up on incline .5 every minute. Afterwards I go and do some upper body (2 machines/light weights) 10 reps of 3. I go back to the elliptical machine and do it for 10 minutes. I start at level 3 and go up 2 levels every minute after the 5 minute mark. I then go back and do 2 more upper/core exercises (light weights). I do upper body again at 10 reps of 3. I then go for my core with a sit up machine. I do 20-30-40. I then finish up by doing treadmill as I did in the beginning.

I'm thinking of doing the same thing but exchanging the the upper body/core workouts for leg workouts every other day. So it will look like this.

Monday-cardio-upperbody/core workout
Tuesday-cardio-lower body workout
Wednesday-cardio-upperbody/core workout
Thursday-cardio-lower body workout
Friday-cardio-upperbody/core workout
Saturday-OFF
Sunday-cardio-lower body workout

What do you guys/gals think? Does it look like I need to change anything? Not enough time to rest my muscles? Please give me some input. Hope to hear from you guys.

EDIT* I started at 312 pounds and I'm down to 299 pounds.

firstly great work on your loss so far :)

A circuit with light weights is a good step towards introducing weights into your routine but your rest day would be better after a lower body day as the larger muscles of the legs usually need more recovery time. With only light weights you don't need much rest between sets of doing the cardio portion.

when your more comfortable with the weights and are ready to lift heavier to maintain muscle then you will need to change to lifting before cardio but at your current weight this is not important and the circuit should work well.

Back