Shin splints, how do you deal with them?

My shins always kill me after a run. Now that I have started running again I am felling it. I prefer riding my mountain bike because if this issue. Unfortunately I may not have a say on whether or not I run in the mornings. So I have to get a handle on this problem. I have heard “home remedies” in the past. But now I need to know some real world real medical based suggestions on how to get rid of them.

That's a complicated issue. There are many ways that PT/Athletic trainer/strength coaches claim to heal shin splints, I've never anything work other than time off. Having said that I do believe the foot contact and the shoes you wear play a major role with shin splints. I've been playing around with barefoot training with some of my track and cross country athletes and have seen a major reduction in shin splints.

I have arch issues so I doubt I can do the bare foot thing. I do find that interesting though. I wonder if those shoes that fit your individual toes would help.

Barefoot running generally doesn't cause problems even to people with arch problems, but that works on an individual basis.

The biggest things for shin splints are the amount of impact you have when striking with you heels, which adjusting your gait and running on soft surfaces will help, and also your calf flexibility. If you have tight calves, it's really important that you work that out, so stretch and/or massage them regularly.

I am working on my stride. I realized I was taking short steps so I am trying to make some changes. I wonder if I take longer strides if that would help.

I would not start running barefoot right away, I would do the warm up activities and lowerbody training first, to get a feel for it. The barefoot running will change your stride from the heel to the mid foot. There is a great book on this subject called "Born to Run" by Christopher McDougall

Yeah, I wouldn't make going barefoot the first thing you try. There are other factors to work on first. And going barefoot takes some commitment to start getting into. It's not really a spur-decision.

And shorter strides may actually be better, as they'll cause you to hit less hard with your heel.

I would like to suggest some ways regarding how to get rid from shin splints. Hope so it would help. So read all of my suggestion and follow them step by step:

• Get a new pair of shoe if possible. If you have been running in your shoes for over 3 months, you should consider replacing them. Although maximum of us ignore it but a good pair of shoes that fits well can help a lot
• While running or jogging it is very important that we need to find out softer instead of harder surface. As an example I may suggest you to run on grassy park or a dirt trail. Since running on pavement create extra stress on your legs.
• Whenever your shin splints have gotten to a point where they hurt then you need to take at least a couple of days off. It could be more depending on condition. Just don’t make it worse.
• It is advisable don’t run when it hurts.
• Are you over suffering from over weighted problem? If so then it would be the reason. Over weighted people may suffer shin and knee problem easily. If you eat less and continue running, you are bound to lose some weight.
• Do some feet exercise if possible? Maximum of them are easy. Such as when you are in bed, move your toes back and forth.
• There are some exercises regarding shin splint. Maximum of them are easy. Such as jog lightly, on your toes pointed forward for 25 paces.
• Stretching is very important since light calf muscles can contribute towards many lower leg injuries including shin splints. Try stretching the calf muscles.
• If possible get some sports massages. Sports massages works fantastically for treating many sporting injuries.

I agree with everything you siad. The shoes are the first problem I am addressing. I went to a runners store yesterday and they helped me identify some issues. I got on a treadmil and they looked at my gate. I usually keep a pair of shoes until they fall apart. I also get hand me downs or what ever is cheap. As a result, I get severe pain in my kness and shins to the point I just stop running for long periods of time. Then I get out of shape and the circle continues. They helped me find a pair of shoes that made a huge difference. As sson as my foot hit the ground I would feel pain with my old shoes. The pait they showed me, felt like heaven. I felt no pain when I got on the treadmill. The only problem is I cannot swing $106 for shoes right now. I will budget for it and get them though.

You do not need to pay $106 for shoes. As a rule, I never go over the $50 ballpark. The more expensive the shoe, the higher the rate of overuse injury anyway because of all the unneeded heel support. The best runners are very neutral pairs.

As I said, a very neutral pair of runners without any extra support in the heel or anywhere else. All your shoes should have a good enough arch in them, but other than that, they should be more or less flat.

Nope. Anyone who tells you that those things affect the function of the shoe are either wrong or trying to get more money out of you. (I suppose mesh might over some more ventilation or cooling for your feet, but I never notice it much.)

That is interesting. I will spend some time at another store trying on different shoes before dropping a lot of money.

Back