Exercise Club

good effort :)

My gym membership lapsed and illness combined with RSI has meant that I've done little in the way of exercise (read: bugger all). Today I broke that (despite feeling awful from side effects from medication). It's not much, but it's a start. I went to the park and did a combination of walking and running for half an hour. Something like 2/3 walking, 1/3 running, but running a notch down from "sprinting for the bus". Ran from landmark to landmark (so from this bin to that tree kind of thing) for between 30 and 70 seconds per go. My knees did surprisingly well, and were only one factor in me deciding to pack it in. I might go back in a few hours when hopefully the people on strolls will have gone away. Feeling much better for having done it, even if it's not much.

Hello!

Can I join the exercise club :)

I like to do cardio/weights 3-4 times per week, and martial arts training 2 times per week.

Eventually I'd like to get the martial arts training up to 3 times per week.

We have a gym in our office, which I just recently starting using. Its been very, very handy, and I wish I'd been going there earlier.

When I go to the gym at work, I'll usually do 30 minutes on the 'cross climber' machine, which is like an elliptical machine but has an incline feature.

Then I cycle through various free weight exercises. There's around 8 that I will typically do.

I never go 'hard core' enough to prevent me from doing the same muscle group the following day, with the exception of my legs. I can't do squats two days back to back.

So far, so good. If I ever feel any pain at all during an exercise, I stop right away and find something else to do. In 2010 I had one stupid injury that totally messed me up, made me stop going to gym and gain 20-30 pounds. So I do the best I can to prevent injuries.

That's my #1 goal.
#2 is to get in better cardio.
#3 is to get stronger
#3 is to lose weight.

Sometimes those priorities flip flop around a bit :)

hello people.

can anyone tell me which is better as cardio. cross-training, tread mill or bicycle.

most of the time i start my cardio workout wid 25-30 mins cross training then again 25-30 mins either bicycle or treadmill or i do 15 min bicycle then rest of 15 mins tread mill. can any1 tell me if its a good cardio workout or i should make some changes

all are good forms of cardio, cycling is less weight bearing and is better if you have knee problems, running is more intense but hard on the joints, cross trainers are ok if the machine matches your or is adjustable for your limb lengths.

My husband and I power walked all of the way up the neighborhood then ran back home. As we ran back, people driving by waved at us. It gave me such a boost that I was able to push myself even harder. In total it took only 20 min. It would usually take us 45min. That's crazy.
Motivation is a powerful thing.

I love to skip rope. Anyone else?

We skip rope in the mornings around 7am. It feels so good to workout.

I will include skipping sometimes.

this past week my only exercise was the walking and running as part of working at the northern university games.

I tried to skip rope some years ago but I find it very hard on my wrists (I have a rare medication induced form of arthritis that affects my hands and wrists). That was 12 years ago and I know my hands have deteriorated since then, so I hate to think how much it'd hurt now :(

I've been trying to get back into exercise and into a routine now I'm with my parents. So far I've walked the dog most days (very hilly area, mostly brisk walking, around a large block), I've done some general exploring walking myself (brisk walking), I've done some treadmill walking (very brisk walking, almost running, on a rolling hills setting), and have done about half of the nature trail that's near my house. Need to get more into it, as my diet's been shot to pieces since I got back.

Hello everyone, I'd like to join if I may.

I'm terrible at skipping rope, but find mimicking the motion without a jump rope has the same effects. But of course I never miss and get tripped up by the rope! I'm also big with rebounding (mini trampoline). It's fun and you can do a lot of different moves instead of just jumping. I usually have a workout of cardio on the rebounder, heavy bag training, as well as lifting some free weights.

I get lazy though. Once I start getting tired, I tend to just give up. Some days are better than others, some are much worse.

Today I wasn't really able to work out at all, except for almost at two mile walk through the building I work.

I'll jump back on my routine tomorrow. Does anyone have any exciting exercises they like to do? I don't have much money so I can't afford a gym membership.

had to move my training backwards a couple of weeks due to the time of for illness etc.

Bench Press 3 X 10
Floor Press 3 X 10
DB Bench 3 X 10
Incline Bench 3 X 10
Biceps up the rack

1.5 km run (just under a mile)

as usual actual weights are listed in my diary

Hi everyone,

I'm struggling to develop a workout routine that I will stick to. I can't afford a gym so try to workout at home. I have a rebounder, a punching bag, jump rope, and 2 sets of dumbells. I find my problem is that I get really board while I workout, even with music playing. I know I lack motivation, so when I get tired, I just stop. I want to get back into running, as I used to do this a lot a few years ago. I've heard interval training is great for weight loss. Does anyone have any experience using this method?

today: biceps and triceps

barbell curls: 4 x 12 (65 lb)
machine dips: 4 x 10 (95 lbs each side)
straight bar cable curls: 4 x 10 (lvl 14 [no idea what that equates to])
skullcrushers: 4 x 12 (60 lb barbell)
football bar preacher curl: 4 x 10 (10 lb each side [no idea how much football bar weighs])
tricep cable pulldowns: 4 x 10 (110 lb)
1.5 hr tennis after.

potentially a 15 mi bike ride later in the night.

I've been predominantly playing tennis after my workouts regardless of body part. The thing I've noticed most about is the fact that I'm a split second late on almost every shot. It's been really bogging down my game. My legs have gotten a lot stronger from ending my tennis with 10 minutes of footwork drills. Still eating clean. Still eating on track to lose little over a pound a week. =D

Interval training is good but if you have difficulty with motivation and giving up when it gets hard then interval training may not be your best option although you may want to consider Fartlek training which doesn't involve the all out effort involved with running intervals.

take a look at example 4 for variety.

Yesterdays exercise

Squat 10@70 kg, 10 @ 80 kg, 10 @ 100 kg
Hamstring raises 3 X 10 wearing 10 kg vest and holding 10 kg plate
Standing calf raises 3 X 10 @ 200 kg
Back hyper extensions 10 @ 62.5 kg, 10 @ 65 kg, 10 @ 67.5 kg
Dynamic deadlifts 75 kg 10 singles 40 seconds rest, explosive lift working the ATP energy system and power development.

1.5 km jog 7.3 kph

Interval training is good but if you have difficulty with motivation and giving up when it gets hard then interval training may not be your best option although you may want to consider Fartlek training which doesn't involve the all out effort involved with running intervals.

take a look at example 4 for variety.

Thanks, I always though fartlek and interval training were the same thing. This helps a lot.

My exercise for today consisted of speed walking for 40 minutes which equalled 2 miles.

Back