Emily Rose: The Reboot

Thanks guys. :grouphug:

The ecstasy was short-lived - I lost today. But, I can chalk up one win to the ERTA already, which I would say is a huge success.

Today, I felt 100% on that court, after a break from smoking and a great night’s sleep. So I know I gave it my best shot and that felt great. I’m loving pushing myself like this, it’s really good for me. And the lady I played was so sound, we had a great chat after and she bought me a cappuccino and sausage sandwich after, as a commiseration prize. I also met my neighbour down the road and had a chat with him, so it was a lovely morning.

Today was an absolute scorcher, we are having summers we have never had before here. That worries me, I have to say. But I made the most of it, and I went for my first swim in the sea today. The water was cold but amazing. There is something about the sea which regenerates the body and the soul.

Very busy week ahead - have to travel with work this week, which I am not looking forward to, but I guess it’s something different.

Life is pretty good right now.

So happy you did so well in the tournament and that you played with a gracious opponent who fed you lunch, too! Swimming in the ocean sounds so nice. Here the ocean is very shallow and bathwater warm, so it doesn't really cool you down. I am looking forward to fall when the water is cooler. Hope your work trip is going well and that if you are with colleagues, that they are behaving themselves!!

- Thanks Cate, I think so.
- Here, the water is very, very cold Marsia, but it does such a great reset on the body. Obviously, my body is very acidic, because of my diet and drinking habits, so to turn alkaline for a while works wonders.

The work trip went fine, and I have tomorrow off as a result! The weather here is gloriously hot. I don't really know why I chose to use the word 'glorious', because I am not really a fan of a hot climate, and I fear the worst for what the future holds in terms of the whole planet heating up to unbearable temperatures. It's still cool in the shade here, and that is the main thing. We're peaking at 29 degrees on Saturday, and then it should start to cool off.

I'm in movie mode the last few days - currently watching The Dig, with Ralph Fiennes and Carey Mulligan, two of my absolute faves. I watched The English Patient a number of years ago now, and it made me weep. I watched Hail, Caesar! earlier, also a very enjoyable film, if you are a bit of a movie buff and enjoy the Golden Age of Hollywood. I'm also finally making progress on the third volume of The Forsyte Saga - might finish that tomorrow.

I don't have a huge amount to report, other than that. Made a misguided attempt to reach out to LaMa earlier in the week - should have known better at this stage. You'd think I'd just accept it at this stage. I guess these things do bother me. You're always going to encounter negative appraisals of your character in this world. I guess I get upset by that, because I always want everyone to feel like I'm adding to their life, rather than taking away from it. I want to be of use. I want to be accepted. And sometimes, that just doesn't work out. And yeah, I'm going to talk about that here, because it's a factor on whether I continue to write here. It bothers me.

I feel like the bag of rocks has gotten slightly lighter in the last while.

'Lighter?' the old man asks, smiling as he proffers an actual lighter towards me.
I take the hint, and dig a cigarette out of my bag, and he lights it for me.
'I didn't think you'd approve', I say to him.
He shakes his head. 'I don't approve or disapprove. I simply observe.'
I nod and take another drag. 'And what do you observe?'
He replies with a grin, 'That you know you'd feel lighter without the need of a lighter.'
'You're probably right.' I take another drag.
'The thing about life', he says, as he leans in and looks directly at me, 'is that it always takes longer than you expect it to. You want everything to come all at once, but if it did, it wouldn't feel nearly as good as it does when you drag that bag of rocks around for a long time, and finally figure out how to get to the river and let go of them. The beauty is in the journey.'
I nod. He smiles and begins to move away. 'We'll meet again.'
I'm sure we will.

Hi Em! I feel nervous writing in LaMa's diary lately and remember how she said something about how if you are stating the obvious, it isn't very helpful or supportive. She said it a little nicer than that, but it made me feel a little skittish, and I've been doubting myself lately. So now I do write mostly obvious, not helpful things in her diary because I don't feel as welcome as I did before. I think LaMa's a great person, but I do doubt myself around her somewhat and wish I were better at being supportive when people seem stuck in a long-standing pattern. I could be brutally honest about what it might take to get out of the pattern, but then I'd feel like a hypocrite, being stuck in my own patterns, as well! I think it's hard to write to people about this stuff, and it can leave bad feelings if we get frustrated with each others perceived weaknesses. They are often really things we feel uncomfortable with in ourselves, I think. Anyway, I hope you don't feel bad about reaching out again. It was nice of you to try.

I have more I'd like to write, but K is waiting for me to read to her, so I'll sign off for now. Hugs!

- Hi Marsia. Yeah, it's tricky to write helpful comments sometimes. We can only do our best, I guess.
- Hi Cate. The academy will reconvene next Sunday for a 10-day run before the next tournament. Obviously trying to cut out the booze again, as I have relapsed massively. I might not follow the hour-by-hour structure, as that takes a lot of time, but will track my food and exercise and general thoughts and observations again. It helps, I think. I look forward to writing on here when I feel I've been proactive about my health and fitness.

I had a surprise day off today, which was great, considering we're in the middle of a heatwave here. I can't remember it ever being this consistently hot. My main achievement for the day was finishing my book, which was the third volume in a series I've been reading since at least 2019. Possibly 2018. I probably enjoyed this one the most, so I finished it a lot faster than the others.

I would love to go to the library and take out some new books, but I have so many on my shelves that have yet to be finished. I might return to A Prayer for Owen Meany, which is an incredibly strange and hard book to read, but I'm about halfway through and I want to finish it. I am also reading a book on overcoming anorexia nervosa. I'm not anorexic but the fixation on weight and diet and the lack of sex drive and possible depression are all things I relate to, and I thought there might be some tools in there I could use.

I went to a lovely hotel in the early afternoon where I viewed a room with a stage that I thought might be suitable for a show, but it's too big and out of our price range. I found myself thinking it would be a nice hotel to get married in. The idea of having a big wedding does not fill me with joy and excitement, I have to say. I avoided a big 21st party in a function room for this reason. At the same time, I've really enjoyed most of the weddings of the close friends I've attended throughout the years, so it could be cool. And my extended family would be sad if I didn't invite them. Anyway, that's really neither here nor there. It all depends on a) if I meet the right person and b) how much money we both have. My parents are not well off and could not foot the bill for an extravagant wedding. I wouldn't want them to anyway. I like being self-sufficient. We're at the stage where I'm finally helping them out a bit more financially. I love being able to do that.

So yeah, that's the end of the wedding planning for today. It was an enjoyable, if quiet, day. I'm playing tennis in the early morning before it gets too hot (although I am in a sweat in my bed now because it's still so warm outside and it's 11pm at night) and then I'll go home to my parents' house for an early dinner and might hang out there for the rest of the day. No big plans this weekend, but I'm getting used to that. I'm sure it's all ahead of me... At least I hope.

I'm glad the academy is only having a short break. A big wedding was so far from what we wanted that we decided to elope & threw a party a week later. It was so much fun & no stress!
I’m glad that you are able to help your parents out here & there. I’m sure they would appreciate that.
Good times will come, Em :grouphug:

I agree about the academy - so glad it's only on hiatus! I have trouble giving up things without putting something healthier in place. For instance, with sugar, I tend to just spend a couple of weeks eating healthier forms like fruit and dried fruit in emergencies. If I can figure out what that particular vice is doing for me, I can figure out good substitutes, like having a tea with honey used to be my relaxing habit, so I got used to tea with no honey, and it is just as nice now. I eloped with both marriages, and both were very nice. I love how as we get older we can really embrace life more and more and appreciate all the good things - it's wonderful watching that happen for you! I agree it's all ahead of you!!

Oh, I meant to ask, do you know why the bag of rocks is feeling lighter now? I don't know if I agree with the old man in your story. I think there is a beauty to overcoming long held patterns, but it doesn't have to be a long journey. As soon as we see that we are actually bigger and stronger than our archetypes that trap us in self defeat, we are free. Negativity melts away when dragged into the light of awareness. Not that I have conquered many of my long standing patterns, but the ones I did, wow, what a night and day difference.

Last edited:
- Thanks Cate. Here's hoping!
- I didn't know you were married before, Marsia! You'll have to tell me about that sometime.

Interesting on your take on what the old man in the story was saying. The fact that the patterns are long-held would indicate that the journey to release them is long, no? ;) Even if I dropped all my shit in the morning and transformed overnight, which is what I would love, it would still have taken me a long time to get here. Also, I don't think it really works like that.

I think a lot of it is fear of death really. I had such a frightening home invasion dream last night, where there were these horrible Clockwork Orange type dandies outside the front door, and it was inevitable that they would get into the house and murder us all. God, it was awful. My approach was to just lie down on the couch in my living room and close my eyes. I woke up at 3 am in absolute terror. So yeah, that's where my head is at the moment. And then I started thinking, 'Well maybe it won't be a gang of murderous youths that get me, but something will eventually.' And that just leads to a spiral. And then panic over all the time I've wasted so far. To be fair, I had a very sad, lonely day yesterday, so it was inevitable that my dreams would be filled with anxiety and fear.

Today was brighter. I started off the day cranky and depressed after my broken sleep, but then the guy in the shop made a joke about something that happened last week, which made me smile. And I kind of thawed out in work as the day progressed. I visited home again after work, which also cheered me up. I was meant to have a dental appointment this evening, but there was a big mix-up, which was terribly annoying and means I will miss out on a tennis game next week because of it, but maybe I was meant to go home for a while. My dad won a mini-competition in golf, after being very close many times over the last couple of months, so it was nice to be there in person when he told me the good news.

I also went for a run, made my lunch for tomorrow, and did not drink today. 3 huge wins for me. Tomorrow I am very busy in work, have a drama meet-up in the evening which I am a bit anxious about, and will try to go for another run, as it is like hitting the reset button for me mentally.

What an awful dream, Em. I'm glad you had a better day & that you were able to share your Dad's win. Well done on the run & making lunch & not drinking. I wasn't going to but then shared a bottle of sparkling burgundy with G. Today I'll not have anything!

Hi Em! Yes, I married a close friend from art school, but he was passive aggressive and tested me the entire 13 years we were together. It was a huge energy drain, and I don't talk about it much because the relationship had so much potential, I just couldn't get us on the same page. He had suffered from a lot of depression and hid it from me until we married.

I think I wrote about the journey of self esteem in a rather sloppy way. I just meant that we can drop our bag of rocks (for me self doubt) at any time. Maybe there's no need to drag them to some proverbial river, even though that does sound really satisfying. I like learning mindfulness because when I am able to do it, I can let go of so much tension and negativity just by observing them and deciding not to buy into them. I often forget this and think about some future where I am confident and good at being social, but that's a fantasy that inadvertently makes me a passive observer of my life. I like the idea of being active and changing my limiting outlooks now instead, even though it's hard to remember to do.

Sorry you had such creepy dreams. I hope you are able to get nice restful sleep to make up for that. I should think more about my fear of death. I think it makes me overly cautious in my life, and I'd like to be more adventurous and free. I know it's really good to sort though that fear, I just am not sure how yet.

Congratulations on no alcohol, nice run, and glad your dad could share his good news with you!

Hey Emily, just trying to catch up and start posting... again. It does help me.

Your dream sounds awful, most of my anxiety dreams are about getting over committed or doing something and in trouble for it. Sometimes I dream of getting lost and having no way to get home. Always feels good to wake up and realize its not true.
not drink today
Good for you!

- Thanks Cate. I was pleased with it.
- Hi Marsia. Everyone has their own take on things! I think the river is easy to find when you know the way. It's like the fog lifts or something. I'm a big believer in practice for everything, and I think confidence comes from reinforcing constantly the areas in your life where you are thriving. You have so much to be confident about. As for 'good at being social' - sometimes I enjoy it, sometimes not. I think it's similar for most people.
- Yeah, the dream was very dark Rob. No more horror films for me for a while!!

I did drink today but it was social, so it doesn't carry as much shame and bad feelings about myself. I had two pints and a glass of red wine, so just about acceptable. I'll probably be a little bit flat tomorrow, but hopefully not too bad.

I'm in an interesting pickle at the moment. One of our members is directing a play next year, and there's a part in my age bracket, but from something he said tonight, I get the feeling he wants to cast someone else in the role. I honestly don't think I would react very well to that. Obviously, there's no point worrying about it until it happens, but it would irk me so much because a) I think I'm just as good an actress and b) I've put so much time and energy into this thing, I don't know what I'd do if I didn't get the part. At the same time, he has free reign to cast whomsoever he wants. But I will 100% have a complete wobbler I'd say. Uh oh. He was a bit rude to me at one point tonight so the jungle has already begun to rumble.

Other than that, the day went fine. I have tennis tomorrow, which I'm looking forward to. I have to put this presentation together in work which has been weighing on my mind the last few days, but in a way, it will be great just to get the thing done. I had a productive day overall, so I have plenty of time for it.

Food wasn't too good today, and topped up with alcohol made it even worse, but all I can do is try again tomorrow. No drinks again till Friday is the deal I've made with myself.

But I will 100% have a complete wobbler I'd say. Uh oh.
Em, this is not compulsory.
Other than that, the day went fine. I have tennis tomorrow, which I'm looking forward to. I have to put this presentation together in work which has been weighing on my mind the last few days, but in a way, it will be great just to get the thing done. I had a productive day overall, so I have plenty of time for it.
Sounds good!
Food wasn't too good today, and topped up with alcohol made it even worse, but all I can do is try again tomorrow. No drinks again till Friday is the deal I've made with myself.
That sounds like a sensible deal to me.

Em, this is not compulsory.
You're right of course. I feel better about it today.

Well, I got the presentation put together today after much dithering and feeling sorry for myself. It wasn't too bad in the end. And, of course, the relief that it is done is great. I've put in the prep now and tomorrow should go fine. And after that's done, I kind of have more 'fun' jobs left for the rest of the week, so it will be an enjoyable few days in the office overall.

I was just thinking that the presentation hanging over me and knowing I had to do it at some point and then the blissful relief once it was done is a lot like the constant chatter in my head about giving about smoking. Yes, the process of quitting will be annoying and inconvenient, but how great to never have to worry about it again. Food for thought. I have a night out on Friday, and I know I will want to smoke, but I might try to give the presentation smoke-free tomorrow and see how that feels.

I felt exhausted and cranky today after the drinks last night. It wasn't really excessive, but it just shows that alcohol does not agree with me anymore. I just hate this tired, low feeling I get from it. I went for a nap after work and I just felt like crap when I woke up. My body is screaming at me at this point. It's annoying, because I'm quite healthy really. I'm just making life really hard for myself. But I love the relief that alcohol brings for a few hours. It's just a complete switch-off. Anyway, I will keep trying to overcome this habit.

I really enjoyed tennis tonight, we had a great game. I get on well with my partner Paul and I've gotten to know one of the ladies we played against this evening, and she's lovely. Really chill, I like her. So yeah, that was great, and a very positive switch-off. I also played well.

I'm having a cup of tea and going to watch the latest episode of Only Murders in the Building and try to get a good night's sleep for tomorrow. More tennis tomorrow evening.

Tennis is so, so good for you & you are meeting really nice people playing tennis. Maybe that's where you'll meet your partner. Well done getting the presentation ready & I hope you get that good night's sleep. I caught up last night & feel human again.

I'm glad Cate pointed out that you don't have to audition for that part, especially if you have a weird feeling about the whole thing. I am routing for you hard about finding other ways of relaxing besides the alcohol. I just know you can do it! Good luck on the presentation!

- Thanks Cate. You never know!
- Thanks Marsia. I really have to find another way.

I had a huge blowout last night and was out till 5 in the morning, which I haven't done in a long time. Amazingly, I feel fine today. I slept till half one, and while I'm tired, the main thing is that I am not sick. The good thing about being up that long is I burned off a lot of the alcohol I drank before I went to bed, so it meant that I was okay today. I also had a slice of toast with some butter and brie before I went to sleep, which might have saved me. I'm not sure.

So, obviously, I missed the whole morning part of today. To be honest, I'd nothing on the agenda for today anyway, so it didn't really matter. I got up and then remembered I'd left my car in town, so I had to walk in to retrieve it. On the way to get it, I sat by the lake and there was this beautiful breeze and it was truly rejuvenating. That was the highlight of the day really. I got the car, then went to get some food (a chicken toastie with pesto and some chips) and went to the library. I got a new book out - The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty - I am absolutely loving it. I've decided to try to read 'easier' books for a while, as opposed to more literary tomes and struggling to get through them. I picked up Infinite Jest when I was there, but when I saw the font size and the number of pages, I quickly put it down again. Not one for today.

I've spent the rest of the day reading really. I did a shop in Dunnes as well so I have some trout got for tomorrow and a few other bits and pieces. Trout is a really nice fish actually. The plan for tomorrow is to get up for a run in the morning, go for a swim in the afternoon and play some tennis in the evening. If I don't manage all that, it's okay. I would like to do the run though, it will just clear away the cobwebs of today.

Not much else to report. The next tournament starts this week so I am really looking forward to that.

Back