Emily Rose: The Reboot

I brought an old pair of swimming togs to the pool by accident last night - I stuffed myself into them but I couldn’t wear them in public when I looked in the mirror. I just had to go home again
That really sucks Em, I'm sorry. Such an awful feeling! Fingers crossed for the interview and I hope your vacation gives you that kickstart we all need sometimes.

- Thanks LaMa. I hope it does too.

The Holiday Chronicles
Day 1 - Early Morning Bus Ride
I’m currently on the first leg of my journey in my bid to find peace and tranquillity in beautiful Portugal. The bus driver has already done me a favour and shushed the two women that were yapping across from me for the first half an hour. I only had 3 hours and a bit sleep last night - up at 4am to get the bus at 5. So I’ve felt better! Dad dropped me in - he said he didn’t sleep a wink with the ‘excitement.’ The poor man. He was very sweet when he was saying goodbye to me, he told me to have a great time and that I ‘deserved it’.

It’s now 7.15am and Mr Sun is finally starting to peep his head up. I’m looking forward to getting to the airport, checking in and then getting something nice for breakfast. I am not sure what to expect - I am hopeful that the airport won’t be too busy because of Covid, but at the same time, the bus to the airport has someone on every seat. Portugal seems to be the primary destination for Irish travellers this year - I suspect the flights might be a lot cheaper than for Spain.

That’s all the news for now, more tomorrow.

- Thanks LaMa.
- Hi Skurgeon, thanks for dropping by. I like Portugal too! :)
- I’ll try to do a post a day Cate, thanks.

The Holiday Chronicles
Day 2 - Let the games begin...
I woke up earlier than expected, so I thought I’d lounge in bed and write an update for a little bit before seizing the day.

The rest of yesterday went very smoothly. Very little turbulents on plane, which I always like. My driver was waiting for me when I got to the airport, he seemed like a sweet man, but I would suspect didn’t have too much English, so it was a quiet hour’s drive to my apartment complex.

The apartment is stunning, huge for one person. It’s a bit lonely I guess, but on the other hand, it’s not really. I mean, it’s great just to have some breathing room. I figure that the rest of the week will potentially be a lot more social when I meet the rest of the group. So to have one day alone is fine.

Anyway, I changed into my shorts immediately and wandered down to the beach. I got some lunch (tuna salad, I wouldn’t get it again) and then I went to the supermarket to pick up some bits for breakfast and other stuff I needed.

Back again to apartment, decided to explore the pool, did around 20 laps with two guys sitting poolside looking at me, which was unnerving at times.

Back ‘home’ again, the couple across the way from me have the most beautiful poodle Benny, what a gorgeous dog. I like that there is a dog nearby as well, although I haven’t heard Benny bark once yet!

Had a shower, watched series 3 of Love Island for a while (I really relate to Camilla, that’s exactly what I would be like on it I’d say), which is a fun show to watch when you’re on hols. Went to restaurant in apartment complex for dinner, saw those two men at the pool again with another man and woman, starting to think they might be on the tennis holiday too. All will be revealed today...

Right, must get up and either do some yoga or go for a sunrise walk, more tomorrow x

Thanks for the holiday chronicles, Em :D
I didn't realise it was a tennis holiday. How exciting!

- We were talking about Austria yesterday LaMa, apparently they are locking down unvaccinated people? Can’t say I agree with that.
- Yeah, it’s good to have the tennis in the mix too Cate.

The Holiday Chronicles
Day 3 - A Change of Pace
I got up to do my yoga yesterday, which was a good start to the day. I had some breakfast (pineapple slice, 2 weetabix and milk, a coffee and small piece of brownie that was left complimentary in the apartment), put on my gear, and headed to the courts.

Unfortunately, the group has not worked out for me like it did the last time. There’s 9 of us, which is awkward. There’s two older couples, 3 younger Londoners I think, and another young girl who I think is also on her own, but she’s in the same group as the younger ones, so they are now a foursome.

After the session yesterday (which was really good and also brought me right back down to Earth in terms of how I’m playing and my technique or lack of it), there was no mention of the ‘welcome drinks’ on the timetable that evening. I just didn’t feel brave enough to ask if people wanted to go for dinner later, and then I also didn’t really mind having the rest of the day to myself either. Maybe this is just the way it has to be.

I’m also going to try to quit smoking for the rest of the trip. I’ve had two nice days of smoking on my balcony or outside cafes in the glorious sunshine, but I’ve experienced that now, and this is such a great time to try to quit them when I am under zero stress. So, let’s see how that goes...

The rest of yesterday, I got my bearings a bit more, had a cheese and spinach omelette with chips for lunch, came back and was going to go for a swim, but I find being in the hot sun for extended periods incredibly draining, so I had to go for a nap.

When I woke up, I just went to the supermarket and spent the rest of the evening in my apartment, watching Love Island. The main disadvantage of travelling at this time of year are the short evenings but the weather during the day is perfect.

It’s 8am now, time to get up and start getting ready.

What a shame that the group turned out to be unbalanced this time. But maybe you're right and using your downtime for recovery will do you good.

I hope your group becomes more sociable. Just ask, Em. Just ask. G & I were excluded by a younger group on our trip from Rome to Paris & it hurt. They just never thought to include us in their plans. The next group holiday we went on we were much more aware & asked others if they wanted to join us early on. We made friends with a gay couple, some older couples & a young woman with whom I am still in touch.

- Yeah, they started to open up more yesterday LaMa, so it can only get better from here.
- Yeah, I might ask about dinner tonight Cate.

The Holiday Chronicles
Day 4 - Breakfast by the Ocean
I ventured out for breakfast this morning. What I love about being away is that when you order something, it never comes out the way you imagine it would in your head or the way it would be served back home. I had avocado and poached eggs on toast, with a side salad. There was radish in the salad, lol. It was fine. It’s a bit nippy this morning.

Yesterday, people were a lot friendlier, but I didn’t make any headway in meeting up after our lessons. It’s really unfortunate that there are no other solo travellers. But I’m getting lots of downtime, which is good.

I don’t think I updated here on the interview - it went really well, he wants to meet for a ‘coffee’ when I’m back. I am in a bit of a tailspin about the whole thing. A part of me wants to get it, of course, but another part is wondering if I am on the right life path at all. Am I just swapping one stressful job for another one? But the second one pays a lot better, so... we’ll see how coffee goes. There’s a reason I applied for it I guess. I was the first candidate he interviewed, so I think I have a really good shot.

Anyway, that’s home stuff, it’s holiday time now. The rest of yesterday was great, went for ice cream and sat watching the waves crash against the shore as I ate it and also got a full body massage. My sciatic nerve is apparently in distress. I’m not in any pain though, so it’s grand. Have to go get ready, more mañana.

Ooo, nice news on the interview! Maybe I should start looking at job postings just in case something that cool becomes available near me. Also: I'd love a massage rn.

That is exciting news about the interview, Em. This could be the change you're looking for.
Have you been back to the pool?

- Yeah, I had the Indeed alerts coming in ‘just in case’. You should go for it LaMa.
- Yeah, well, the change I’m looking for is inside me Cate. But I also need money. I went to the pool on Tuesday.

The Holiday Chronicles
Day 5 - I Attempt an Ocean Swim
I’m awake early again so I thought I’d give an update. Not a huge amount happened yesterday, to be fair.

Training was really good, there’s a local tournament on here tomorrow in the afternoon, which will be great. Afterwards, I tried to swim in the ocean and I couldn’t bring myself to go in all the way, but today is my last chance, so I will go in straight after the coaching.

I have another massage type thing booked for 3pm. Then it’s probably dinner alone again. Naturally. :confused: Ah well, I’m not that bothered really, but I wouldn’t mind a group dinner on the last night.

I’m actually thinking Covid and Brexit might be at play a bit with the lack of integration with the 8 other Brits in my group. I don’t know, maybe that’s just my imagination. I never really think about myself as a particular nationality but it seems to be a thing for a lot of people. For me, if I like you, I like you. But anyway...

Only two more days. I am enjoying it.

Best of luck with the ocean dip! No matter how much I dislike my current weight I'd looove to get into the ocean right now. Glad you're enjoying yourself despite the social weirdness.

I hope you plunge into the ocean today, Em. It's a shame the group is not more sociable. Have you met any interesting people outside your group?

- Thanks LaMa. Book a massage for yourself!!
- Hi Cate, not really. It just hasn’t been that kind of holiday.

The Holiday Chronicles
Days 6 & 7 - Last Night/I Go Home
The massage on Thursday was the best massage I ever got. I fell asleep and woke myself up snoring, which is a first for me. Sometimes you encounter people who are truly gifted at what they do. The lady couldn’t have been sweeter and she did an amazing job.

I was kind of wiped out after that, so I got a beef stroganoff for a takeaway and two beers and just chilled. I didn’t manage a full plunge in unfortunately. Next time. ;)

Yesterday was the last day of coaching. The coach at one point told me I looked ‘fantastic’ in my tennis skirt. It is a nice skirt. That was probably the closest to a flirtation I had all week. I played a tournament in the afternoon (won 3, lost 3) and then we finally had a group dinner and night out.

One of the group of 4 actually apologised that they hadn’t invited me out, as they hadn’t realised I was by myself. So that was nice. She was the best of that group - the guy was okay as well, but the other two were extremely shy.

Anyway, I enjoyed the dinner. There was drama walking home at the end of the night when we found an oldish man passed out on the road. He was in child’s pose and not budging, so I rang an ambulance. Other people came along and one of them was a nurse who got him up and off the road and sitting on a chair. I felt very sad for him. I was relieved that he didn’t protest when the ambulance came along and he was put inside. At least I did one good deed this week.

Right now, I am being driven back to the airport. I had so little sleep last night and too many drinks. But I don’t feel too bad so far. I will sleep tonight!

Thus concludes The Holiday Chronicles.

I’m extremely distressed at the treatment I’ve got on this forum for simply stating my point of view that ‘our freedoms have been taken away’. I don’t understand how that is even up for debate. Frankly, I’m disgusted and as a long-standing member here, I feel really let down.

It’s made me feel really unwelcome and ostracised and I think the fact that there has been no discussion with me about it is appalling. Shame on you.

I know that we discussed this in private messages, rather than publicly. I was visiting our son at the time for his birthday & also felt I was being rude being on my phone at the time. I don't feel ashamed as I know that I have supported you for most of the time that you have been in the forum. Mostly if I don't have anything kind to say I prefer to say nothing & I always try to find something positive. We don't all have to agree on everything, Em. As I told you I don't like arguing (heated discussions). It's just not something I do. It actually makes me feel physically sick.

Back