Don't try this at home

Bench press session 555
2 week break and not fully familiar with my exercises, low risk methinks

Bench press with pause Rack up 4 holder up+3 72.5kg
Alternate kettle clean and press 20kg
Incline press with pause 45 degree rack up 8 start at bottom of press 52.5kg
Dips on suspension trainer with pin and assistance, straps hand length before loops
Drop through press ups on suspension trainer without pin suspension trainer straps hand length above floor

Deadlift session 455

Deadlift 147.5kg
Single arm deadlift using cable and kettle bell for handle 82kg
Stiff leg deadlift on bosu 100kg
Upright row kettlebell 32kg

Last edited:
Sure fire sign that you have hit your core maybe a little harder than you strictly should. Today I am aching to the point where sitting up in my office chair is uncomfortable and moving while doing so is a reminder.
There are people who stop aching after a few months of training, I call them soft, others call them sane. I wonder what those others would think of someone who still aches daily after over 20 years.

I assume that is one week after each session, if not I am shocked. If so you have given new definition to the term hardcore.
I ache for two to three days for each session, which means I never stop aching. It also means that I don't usually grow, though Christmas seems to have helped out on that front, if not in the way most would want.
I am the heaviest I have ever been, around 80kg, but I know this will balance back down soon enough, and I ate so much junk in a few weeks that it would have been totally unjust for me not to have piled on a few pounds.

Actually, I mean 1 week after the first session of whatever program I'm on. I'll do the first session and everything will hurt. Two days later, everything will still hurt, and I'll do the next session anyway. Another two days later, my body will beg my not to do another session. I'll do it anyway. Come next Monday the DOMS will be just about gone, I'll train through what little bit of DOMS is left, and by Wednesday there'll be no more soreness...and unless I change something, there won't be any regular soreness again for the next few months. There'll still be fatigue and tightness, but if there's any soreness after that point it'll be so dull that I don't even recognise it as soreness.

Far more sensible, than me. Unless you changed workouts every fortnight, which I have already seen you don't.
I start planning the next routine shortly after gettign settled with the current one, so in a few weeks I will be finding new creative ways to hurt myself. Any suggestions are always welcome.

Mmm, changing workouts and throttling yourself in them is the key to never-ending soreness. You've had many years to develop your craziness, so I doubt I can offer you anything you haven't thought of before. I seem to recall CrossFit's "Cindy" giving my a lot of pain, just not in the muscles. When I've done "widowmakers," they've generally been brutal on the heart and lungs, but didn't give me much muscular soreness. You could always try a HIT protocol. I've known anyone to get any of the actual results they were after beyond soreness from Mentzer's Heavy Duty, but I'd attribute that to them not eating appropriately. Here's an example leg workout from it:

- Warm up by supersetting leg press and leg extensions.
- Leg extensions: 12-20 reps to concentric failure, AMRAP negatives, static hold at top for as long as possible. Without resting, move immediately into....
- Leg press: 12-20 reps to concentric failure, AMRAP negatives, static hold at top for as long as possible. Without resting, move immediately into....
- Calf raise: 12-20 reps to concentric failure, AMRAP negatives, static hold at top for as long as possible.
- Use the same method as above to do hamstring curls, RDLs and glute bridges.

Not done supersets in years, not sure I have enough kit to do them effectively without rests, but I could probably figure it out. I am thinking about doing drop sets next time round, either that or fast reps, both equally good fun and I perfect for making you fail embarassingly. The joy of training at home, no-one to be embarassed in front of, except my wife and son and they already know how stupid I am.

Well I have been absent some time due to not being able to post on here. All fixed now.

I have still been training and was very stupid for a while. 555s turned out to be such a bad idea I had to abandon them.
Yesterday's workout is here

I am actually pleased with how the session is going on 10, 8, 6 format.

Yesterdays squat session

Running home tonight.

Cycle last week was not so much in snow as on ice for a bit of it. Traffic had been good enough to compress the snow but too gridlocked to melt it.
Still better to be on the push bike by some way. Even with havign to wal over some of the uneven ice going down hill I was home in well between half and a third the time it was taking people in cars. Some covering the same 4.5 to 5 mile distance reported over 2.5 hours in cars, well below average walking pace.

Deadlifts, almost the whole session this time, wahey!

Back