Don't try this at home

Squats session

Squats 140kg Rack down 4 catcher down +6 Reps: 6, 5, 6
Goblet sqauts on bosu 32kg kettle Reps: 10, 10, 10

Hack squat 110kg Rack up 5 Reps: 6, 6
Squats on medicine ball holding 15kg plates Reps: 10, 10

Cut short after effects of anaesthetic on Friday. Annoying but unsafe to continue.

OK I have decided to go for 555s after the Christmas break. A few reasons, one not done them in years, another being that going to 1RM after two weeks of relatively little training which will be me over Christmas and new year, would be more than a little silly.

Proper 555s and why I won't be doing them quite right.
5 exercises, 5 sets, 5 reps per set, though 4 is acceptable on a very few. Raw power work, great conditioning for powerlifters and other pure strength athletes.
Sets are short rests are long, sessions are epic. Last time I did them was pre wife and son and the average time per session was well over two hours not including warm up and cool down. the idea is that you should return to the bar fresh every set so the last set on last exercise should be with your body feeling far more fresh than the session would with short rests, a real physical challenge from start to finish. If I did this now I would get serious and deserved grief from my wife and son, so I won't.
Real terms I have around an hour per session, so on the latter 2 exercises I will be tired out and have to accept below par performance in the name of getting the session done. 60 minutes / 5 = 12 minutes per exercise, possible 2 minutes each for set up, leaves 2 minutes per set with rest, under half what serious trainers doing this take. The sessions will be harder mentally this way than standard because of motivating myself to get up and go again when I know I should be resting.

The sessions

Deadlift session

Deadlift
Single arm deadlift using cable and short bar
Stiff leg deadlift on bosu
Upright row
Wide grip chins with weight

Bench press session

Bench press
Alternate kettle clean and jerk
Incline press 45 degree
Weighted dips on suspension trainer with pin
Drop through press ups on suspension trainer without pin possibly weighted

Squat session

Squats
Front Squats
Step forward lunges holding weights
Pistol goblet squats, will try these while on holiday
Squat jumps

12 min/exercise....not the best of conditions for 5x5x5. I remember when I was doing the Texas Method, on Mondays I did 5x5 for squats and bench press/press, and those two lifts alone took 1hr30 (5min for each work set plus warming up). I think if it were me trying to fit that into an hour, I'd just do 2-5x5 for working sets of the first exercise with proper weight and rest periods, then do either higher rep/low rest work on everything else, or stick to 3-5x3-5 on everything else but with 50% weight performed as fast as possible; again with short rests. IE if it were me, I'd go Max Effort on the first lift, then Dynamic Effort or Repetition Effort on everything else.

However you make this work, I look forward to reading it and seeing the results.

I have the current plan, but may need to modify it as you have said. We will see.
How long before I can retire? Answer to that is depressing.
I wana retire so I can train properly again. Not fair. This is why I have photos of my son at work, reminds me why it's worth being here.

Bench Press session (2 days late)

Bench press Rack up 4 holder up+3 set 80kg Reps 6, 6, 4
Shoulder press with disc on bosu 16.25kg without / with leg asist 6/4, 6/4, 8/2

Kettle Bell snatch 28kg Reps 6, 6, 6
Push ups with clap / without clap Reps 6/4, 8/2, 5/5

Push ups in rack Rack 6 down 3 up Reps 6, 6, 6
Standing over head tricep extension 25kg Reps 10, 10, 10

Deadlift session
Deadlift 145kg 1st set, 142.5kg sets 2nd & 3rd 3, 5, 6
Narrow grip chins 10, 10, 7

Seated row alternate hands 45kg 6, 6, 6
High pulls on bosu 50kg 10, 10, 10

Bent over row 90kg 6, 6, 6 only leg assistance on a few reps
Kettlebell swing and catch 28kg 10, 10, 9

In fairness the exercise is only swinging them from between legs to around shoulder width at arms length, letting go and grabbing with the other hand. The most intense feeling is just after catching the weight, feel it all the way through my back, but that is how I avoid back issues.
Not been too pleased with this week in fairness. Squats session was really badly affected by anaesthetic, only a local from dental work. I would never have believed it would affect me for any real time, but since on neuro-inhibitors for epilepsy, I have become totally pathetic with anything like this.
Have been late on other sessions and will be doing bench and squat session before break for Christmas and new year. Then come back and suffer for my comparitive laziness.
We all have bad spells, and hate them passionately. Hopefully new year and new session will be good. No more dental stuff for some months now, so no excuses.

Bench Press session

Bench press Rack up 4 holder up+3 set 80kg Reps 6, 6, 4
Shoulder press with disc on bosu 116.25kg set 1 17.5kg set 2 & 3 without / with leg asist 10/0, 7/3, 8/2

Kettle Bell snatch 28kg Reps 6, 6, 6
Push ups with clap / without clap Reps 10/0, 7,3, 6/4

Push ups in rack Rack 6 down 3 up 1st set up 2 sets 2 & 3 Reps 6, 6, 6
Standing over head tricep extension 25kg Reps 10, 10, 10

Squats session

Squats 140kg Rack down 4 catcher down +6 Reps: 6, 6, 6
Goblet sqauts on bosu 32kg kettle Reps: 10, 10, 10

Hack squat 140kg Rack up 5 Reps: 6, 6, 6
Squats on medicine ball holding 20kg plates Reps: 6, 10, 6

Overhead squats 45kg Rack at top catcher down +4 Reps 6 47.5kg Reps 6, 6
Jumping butt kickers Reps, 10, 10, 10

OK summary of last two weeks.
Went to the land were the men are so macho they are confident in skirts.
Ate some local delicacies including haggis and deep fried mars bar, which is surprisingly nice. Basically ate more junk in two weeks than would normally in three months or more.
Did virtually no weight training at all, one session of playing with a couple of kettlebells and testing out suspension trainer was the lot.
Ran a few times, in places I liked rather than for commuting which was wonderful.
Took the dog for a walk with the family, one of the walks was 6.5 miles up and down a mountain during serious wind, others more leisurely.

Regrets, not one from the fortnight. I spent time with my family, in a remote location we all loved. It will effect my training for a month or so, and was worth every bit of pain I will earn from it. Sole regret is I had to come back to work, really ready to retire now.

I could stand to try a deep-fried mars bar.

I'm glad you had a good holiday, although it's also good to see you back on the fourm now.

I ate two of them, first out of curiousity, second because it was actually nice to eat. I heartily recomend giving one a go, but obviously as an occasional treat.
My diet didn't turn the food pyramid on it's head but the little cherry on the top showing treats was swapped with the vegetables. Ce la vie.

Bench press session 555
2 week break and not fully familiar with my exercises, low risk methinks

Bench press with pause Rack up 4 holder up+3 70kg
Alternate kettle clean and press 20kg
Incline press with pause 45 degree rack up 8 start at bottom of press 50kg
Dips on suspension trainer with pin and assistance, thias thing is a lot harder than I expected
Drop through press ups on suspension trainer without pin suspension trainer straps hand length before loops

How are you feeling the day after what I assume is your first day back?

As it says at the the end of Horrible Histories 'Boast Battle'
I can sum it all up in just one word
Ow!

This is as close as I get to moderation and the session was a day late. Holiday interfered with us doing things more important than trianing so start was delayed. Deadlifts tonight, I do love them but the reason they are normally not on Fridays is I finish work later on Friday, joy.

Deadlift session 455 not realistic to do 5 exercises on this time scale. Deadlifts require more recovery time. I really want to retire.

Deadlift 145kg
Single arm deadlift using cable and handweight for handle 70kg
Stiff leg deadlift on bosu 100kg
Upright row kettlebell 32kg maybe next time, too shattered today.

5x5 bosu SLDLs. You doth live up to your name.

Today I am achy old man aware of how stupid doing 5x5 SLDLs on the wrong side of a bosu was especially after standard deads and single arms, even with the latter being cable jobs.
Squats tomorrow.
Next week back to proper schedule I hope.

Squat session 455

Squats parrelel with knee wraps rack down 4 catchers down 6 140kg
Front Squats 100kg
Step forward lunges holding weights 20kg a side
Deep goblet squat jumps 24kg balance not up to pistol at this point

Back