Don't try this at home

OK I haven't used a training journal anywhere but in my head for years so this should be interesting.
I change training on a roughly 8 week rota so this will get repetitive.
The reason for the title is that my gym is at home, and I like irony. Also because some of what I do is stupid and should not be attempted without consulting your psychiatrist.
By all means try some of the more bizarre things I do but be prepared to look crazy if you succeed and stupid if you fail. Failure is a good way to learn, but only when it doesn't result in injury.

Current weight training system is 6s and 10s using 6 exercises in each session over 3 sets of pairs.
This means doing a major exercise at 6 rep maximum for 6 reps then going straight to the paired exercise for 10 reps, or as close as I can get on either.
I generally train to failure so the numbers I am aiming for don't always correspond to the numbers I get.

When I say on bosu I mean having the blue dome on the floor and standing on the solid base.
Similar for medicine ball. High pressure sphere is great unstable training for unstable minds.

Sorry I am in the UK so all weights are in kilograms, quick conversion is kg * 2.2 = lb

Commute times are only ever approximate as with lights etc. to the second is largely irrelevant.

Ride to work this morning 4.9 miles based on google maps. 17 - 18 minutes
Journey home expected to be the same, apparently this is 5 miles, even though is the same route.
Hate wet leaves, but at least ride in was in daylight, ride home won't be.

Phone died on the way home so no idea how long it took. Shame really as virtually no stops.

Squats session

Squats 130kg Rack down 4 catcher down +6 Reps: 6, 6, 5
Goblet sqauts on bosu 32kg kettle Reps: 10, 10, 10

Hack squat 100kg Rack up 5 Reps: 6, 6, 6
Squats on medicine ball holding 5kg plates Reps: 10, 8, 10

Overhead squats 40kg Rack at top Reps:7, 6, 6
Jumping butt kickers Reps: 10, 10, 10

Ride in around 16 minutes, not pedalling any quicker, just less legally enforced stopping.
Remembering why I normally do Squats day on a Sunday morning, not after a day of work and commuting. Got cramp in calf affecting work on medicine ball and the butt kickers, stretched out but still affected.
Hopefully catch up after losing a session last week and be back to abnormal on Sunday.

Ride home 18 to 19 minutes.

Bench Press session

Bench press Rack up 4 holder up+3 set 1 70kg set 2 &3 75kg Reps 6, 6, 6
Shoulder press with disc on bosu 15kg without / with leg asist 10/0, 8/2, 5/3

Kettle Bell snatch 24kg Reps 6, 6, 6
Push ups with clap Reps 9, 10, 6

Push ups in rack Rack 6 down 4 up Reps 6, 6, 6
Standing over head tricep extension 25kg Reps 10, 10, 8

Run in somewhere a bit over 35 minutes. Forgot to check clock as leaving so could have been a couple of minutes more than that.
Tonight should be deadlifts, but with Sunday's squat session only done on Tuesday, that would be stupid, so will go for that tomorrow and be back on schedule by this Sunday.

Normal commute yesterday. Couldn't get on here but I worked so I cycled.

Deadlift session
Deadlift 130kg 6, 6, 6
Narrow grip chins 10, 10, 8

Seated row alternate hands 40kg 6, 6, 6
High pulls on bosu 40kg 10, 10, 10

Bent over row 80kg 6, 6, 6
Kettlebell swing and catch 10, 10, 10

Then helped move a piano. Glad the training came first.

Not bothering to post commutes. Too many and inaccurate on times.
Squat session I was trying to catch up to has been ditched following seizure. Back to normal days now.

Bench Press session

Bench press Rack up 4 holder up+3 set 77.5kg Reps 6, 6, 5
Shoulder press with disc on bosu 15kg without / with leg asist 10/0, 10/0, 5/5

Kettle Bell snatch 24kg Reps 6, 6, 6
Push ups with clap / without clap Reps 10, 6 / 4, 5 / 5

Standing over head tricep extension 25kg Reps 10, 8, 7

Deadlift session
Deadlift 140kg 6, 6, 6
Narrow grip chins 10, 8, 8

Seated row alternate hands 50kg 6, 6, 6
High pulls on bosu 45kg 10, 10,

Bent over row 80kg 6, 6, 6
Kettlebell swing and catch 28kg 10, 9, 6

Goldfish I think I am heavier than you are and may have been doing deadlift a few years longer.
When my session goes back to having 1RM in my session, likely post Christmas, I will put them and my weight on the lift threads with results.
I record in kilos because my plates show it, UK based. The are olympic bore but not size so my heaviest plates, 25kg only put the bar around 6-7 inches 16-17cm above the floor, which is low. But the plates were cheaper, and I don't mind.

Squats session

Squats 135kg Rack down 4 catcher down +6 Reps: 6, 6, 6

Hack squat 110kg Rack up 5 Reps: 4, 5, 6
Squats on medicine ball holding 10kg plates Reps: 9, 10, 10

Overhead squats 40kg 1st set, 45kg 2nd & 3rd Rack at top catcher down +4 Reps:6, 6, 6

Bench Press session

Bench press Rack up 4 holder up+3 set 80kg sets 1&2 77.5 3rd Reps 5, 4, 3 not happy especially with 3 after weight reduction
Shoulder press with disc on bosu 15kg without / with leg asist 10/0, 10/0, 10/0

Kettle Bell snatch 24kg set 1, 28kg sets 2&3 Reps 6, 6, 5
Push ups with clap / without clap Reps 10/0, 4/6, 5/5

Standing over head tricep extension 25kg Reps 10, 10, 8

Deadlift session
Deadlift 142.5kg 6, 6, 6
Narrow grip chins 10, 10, 8

Seated row alternate hands 50kg 6, 5, 4 changed to using a rope, a lot harder. Drop weight next time
High pulls on bosu 50kg 10, 10, 6.5

Bent over row 90kg 6, 6, 5.5 acceptable leg assistance, work to remove.
Kettlebell swing and catch 28kg 10, 10, 7

They call it deadlifting for 2 reasons.
1. You are lifting a bar from dead still on the ground.
2. You feel absolutely dead after doing them.

The true joy of compound training. You ache almost everywhere after every session. Only the truly sad should attempt this, and they will love the aching as much as the training, none of us understand why.

Squats session

Squats 135kg Rack down 4 catcher down +6 Reps: 6, 5, 6

Hack squat 110kg Rack up 5 Reps: 6, 6, 6
Squats on medicine ball holding 10kg plates Reps: 10, 10, 8

Overhead squats 45kg Rack at top catcher down +4 Reps:6, 6, 6

Bench Press session

Bench press Rack up 4 holder up+3 set 80kg Reps 6, 6, 5
Shoulder press with disc on bosu 20kg 1st set 15kg 2nd & 3rd without / with leg asist 3/3, 8/2, 10/0

Kettle Bell snatch 28kg Reps 6, 6, 6
Push ups with clap / without clap Reps 6/4, 6/4, 3/7

Standing over head tricep extension 25kg Reps 10, 10, 10

^I Really enjoy reading your type of workouts. There's this site I'm on, the Bar-Barians official site, and there everyone has their training Log, I have mine too, well here too there's things like that I know.

Anyway, I like to see people that have truly variegated and mixed up workouts, with many exercises and set types.

You know, honestly speaking, I Just have to realize, it's my DNA and my attitude, I just can't Bear to have too many things in my head, like, even knowing these workouts are Cool and proper, I have tried many workout types, but guess what, End result is always a classic 3 x 3 style or 5 x 5 maybe like now.

Thing is man, I know in Fitness you can't give a Universal and objective answer, there's no way, because there's literally Unlimited factors that determine what the 'best' choice woud be for every person.

Put that aside, consider me as a normal fit ectomorph guy used to working out, that has little chance of bulking as much as I'd want, do you reckon that it's better to do say for example a 3x3 like 7-7-7 , or a 5x5 with a total of like 5-5-5-5-5 ? I can't figure out. With the other one I do more reps total, but will it stop you from getting a higher max out?

Cheers man, and SORRY! I know this is a Log, you can report or just screw the post if you want.

Cheers.

I am very ectomorph as well so know what it took for me to bulk up when I did so years ago. I still occasionally do these types of workout sometimes now, often with ridiculous cardio to destroy any chance of adding weight to my frame, just to ensure variation.
10, 8, 6 with increasing weight. 10 and 8 are strict on reps but last rep should feel like you can't do another, or shouldn't be able to do that one, 6 allows for a 5 or a couple of forced rep if have a spotter. Normally max 4 exercises on this style of session.
Drop sets (compound exercises). I do love these. Best done with a training partner but possible on your own. Start with a weight your 3RM, but have lots of small weights on the bar. After you have exhausted yourself, take a small weight off each end, or have a spotter do it. Each weight will only mean a few reps but by the time you have finished you will have done a lot. If wanting power as opposed to bulk, start with 1RM and do the same. Never more than 3 sets of 3 exercises and you will know why if you do it.

The hardest part or bulking is not the training but the rest time between, and being sure you get enough for each body part. It doesn't feel right to be allowing your body to recover fully and grow and you want to get back in and train it all again.
The other one is calorie surplus. You will be used to being very lean, and no doubt appreciate this fact. When bulking some of this will have to fade even if only temporarily, accepting this can be hard.

The part that is totally personal is cycle length. My optimum is 8 weeks for maximum gains, power or build. I found this out by trial and error, there is no other way. Most people are between 6 and 8 weeks. Some also benefit from a week break between cycles, I do for building not for power.
My cycle works as below.
Week 1, body screaming out 'what the hell' when I change the workout.
Weeks 2 and 3 body gets used to the new program and settles into it.
Weeks 4 to 7 fastest increase intensity gains.
Week 8 usually matching 7 but occasionally a nice surprise, often the section where I hit PBs.

This time around there will only be 7 weeks in my cycle, due to Christmas break, and I was part way through when I started logging it.
Still trying to decide what to do in the new year. I always try to make the cycle I move to different to the one I have just done, so will be real low rep high power session. Was thinking possible 555s as haven't done that in years, but quite fancy something with 1RM too.

Deadlift session
Deadlift 142.5kg 1st set, 145kg sets 2nd & 3rd 6, 6, 6
Narrow grip chins 10, 9, 8

Seated row alternate hands 40kg 1st set, 45kg 2nd & 3rd 6, 6, 6
High pulls on bosu 50kg 10, 10, 10

Bent over row 90kg 6, 6, 6 only leg assistance on a few reps
Kettlebell swing and catch 28kg 10, 10, 10

Back