Cycling Buddies, miles to go for a better you!

Trust me, that's a good place to be! Those legs will adjust nicely when you keep working them. As long as you have the wind and circulation to keep them supplied, the legs will eventually adjust. When I first went out, I was only doing a few miles at a shot and felt pretty shot when I was done. As you can see, I do pretty regular stuff now and I think I'm ready to step it up again for some occasional longer rides.

Amazing how adaptable our bodies are. Even when we abuse them for too many years.

Hi reluctantcabbie,

I looked at your mileage, WOW.

I did do 10 miles yesterday, that is the most I have done. Up until yesterday the most was 7 miles one time.

Chip

Mechanical gremlins are getting me all screwed up this week. I had 3 rides that all got cut short due to issues. A broken spoke on my road bike, a brand new wheel on my mountain bike that the spokes lossened up on to the point that it almost became a taco, and a flat (blow out really) today on my road bike from running over something. I should be well over 400 miles now for August, but instead I'm just shy of it.

I also had a blowout last Saturday. I don't know what caused it, but it was probably my own stupidity. I had spare tubes with me, but there was a small rip in the sidewall of my tire. Luckily for me, I was just shy of 2 miles from Decathlon (a department store similar to The Sports Authority back in the U.S.), so I changed the tube and slowly rode to Decathlon on minimum tire pressure. I ended up buying a set of new tires although I only really needed to replace one.

August is turning out to be a pretty decent month for me although I still feel like a turd for driving to work on the 11th (I chose to get an extra 30 minutes of sleep that morning). I will no doubt finish the year with over 3,000 miles :hurray: barring any unforeseen setbacks. Hopefully this winter won't be too rough on me, but I made it through last year's winter which was pretty bad so I'm pretty sure I'll be okay.

I plan on adding more running to my workout regimen, so hopefully I'll be able to drop a few more pounds before I head into this winter.

cabbie, I hope that all of your mechanical problems are behind you so that you can continue racking up the miles.

Last edited:
Had the remnants of a tropical storm blow in on Saturday which forced me indoors onto the spinning bike. Did a 20 mile session on that.

Did manage to get out mountain biking today, got another 16 miles, so I'm over 400 for the month of August in outdoor cycling miles, and had almost 40 miles indoors on the spinning bike. Not all that bad really. Back to school tomorrow. This will seriously affect my mileage and time, the likelihood is high that the spinning bike will start seeing more use as it is available for me during the same session as the weight lifting.

I'll get outside when I can of course, but my mileage will suffer due to time constraints now.

I'm going to continue to ride for the rest of the year, but I probably won't continue to log my miles in this thread. I think that this thread is a great idea to help motivate others that may need that extra push to get out and ride, and this thread would have been greatly beneficial to me about a year and a half ago when I dreaded my ride to work every morning. Reluctantcabbie, I commend you on your weight loss progress so far and I wish you the best in the rest of your weight loss journey. I will definitely check out the updates to this thread to see how you are doing and whether you can motivate others to get out and ride. Cycling has changed my life (and fitness level) and I would love to see more people take part in the recreation.

Thanks Solomon. I'm glad you logged in for a while here! I would like to see more people come by, not even just for mileage, bt for questions about cycling or whatever. Kind of wanted to get a little group going here but we'll see.

September mileage tracking. Probably going to be a lot more spinning listed here too. Classes during the semester are going to use up a lot of my time.

9/1/09 - 18 miles spinning
9/2/09 - 22 miles spinning
9/3/09 - 14 miles spinning (god I hope I get a real ride in tomorrow)
9/4/09 - 16 miles mountain bike
9/5/09 - 16 miles road bike
9/8/09 - 16 miles road bike
9/9/09 - HIIT on spinning bike, mileage not worth writing about

48 miles cycling, 54 miles spinning

Last edited:
Karl was just one of my friends here that did brilliantly with cycling. I am sure that there will be a load of people doing that now too. Maybe they should use the club to meet up.

Thanks for the club cabbie, I enjoy cycling and regularly go round Gibraltar (11kms) with fair share of steep hills to negotiate, have bought a bicycle with suspension for use on the motorway in Spain and enjoy going from Manilva to Estepona and back (20 kms) weather permitting, have to be careful as negotiating roundabouts with cars and motorcycles whizzing past at 80 km/h can be dangerous, usually wait for a lull in the traffic before using roundabouts. Feel great afterwards and a sense of accomplishment, though had some mishaps such as the brake pedal flying off and the chain coming off when changing gears on my previous bicycle, not a problem with my new bicycle.

Regards
KV

Rode all through my teen years and got into bike racing for a few years from my late 20's in the era of Greg Lemond and the Carpenters. I still ride with my racing buddies from the 1970's.

I try to get out 5-6 days a week weather permitting, especially now that I'm on a weightloss program. (body weight affects cycling a great deal)

Since I have a foot problem and can't jog or run except for short distances, so, cycling is ideal for me.

knotty

Last edited:
Just got some road style tires for my mtb commuter that I built up this winter. Waiting on some warmer weather in the morning to start riding to work again. I also just picked up a 1980 schwinn le tour that I will be turning into a singlespeed/fixed gear bike.

I ride a MTB for city biking exclusively using smooth tread fat (2.0) tires, it's great to smooth out the rough roads. Long ago, in the 60's I bought a new Schwinn LeTour sure wish I'd kept it to make a singlespeed out of.

How long is your commute?

knotty

I ride a MTB for city biking exclusively using smooth tread fat (2.0) tires, it's great to smooth out the rough roads. Long ago, in the 60's I bought a new Schwinn LeTour sure wish I'd kept it to make a singlespeed out of.

How long is your commute?

knotty

I started commuting to work last year and rode a 2012 cannondale trail 6. But I wanted to start doing more xc with it so I took some of the low budget stuff off of it found a cheap Raleigh frame an built it up with no suspension. I can't wait to start commuting on it. I picked up some 1.50 size tires. I prefer a slimmer tire for road riding over a slick wide tire. My commute is only 4.2 miles. So round trip is 8.4. Sometimes I will ride to the LBS from work then back home just for fun. It makes it about a 20 mile round trip

Thanks for the photos Jmann8686, my kind of bike. I ride a hardtail too. You might be interested in a bike site I'm on, http:bikeforums.net Just about anything you want to know about bikes is on there.

knotty

I hate to admit, I'm a real weatherweenie, when it's warm, I'm automatically riding 6 days a week but when cold and overcast, I rather ride the indoor trainer. When I'm down in weight, looking forward to riding with my 1970's riding buddies again, I miss those long treks into Marin in the 85 degree summers.

I'm with ya on the weather. I have no rain gear or cold weather gear to ride in. So as long as its not going to rain or really cold I'm down to ride. That and riding in the wind sucks as well. Where I live the wind usually starts to blow in the afternoon and blows with me. So as long as its not blowing in the morning I will still ride. Also here is a pic of the le tour I'm making into a singlespeed
View attachment 20415

Great looking frame, I've been looking on Craigslist but seems they've caught on about the value of older frames and pricing them high. I have a old Rauler frame I plan to make into a singlespeed, I just need to get it stripped and painted. I've never ridden a singlespeed but like the simplicity of no derailleurs. Like my singlespeed friend says, the minimalist bike.

Back