Couch to 5K Club

Thanks for the welcome guys. I did the first run from Week 1 last night and it went much better than I expected. My hips are a little sore today, but nothing a little stretching won't fix.

I did get a nice tip from someone I know - she said to double up on my sports bra when running ... it'll help control the bounce. I'm gonna try it tomorrow. Tonight is weights and yoga.

Well it's official I signed up for a 4 mile race on June 20 and a 5K the very next weekend.

No turning back now.....

I tried starting this 50 lbs ago and got shin splints so bad I could hardly walk. I have been fighting them ever since. :(

I even stopped doing anything but the elliptical and I still get them if I do something like, play basket ball, or any sort of high impact activity.

I CAN NOT RID MYSELF OF THEM!

I used to run 3 miles every morning back when I was in shape. I have never had this problem before. :(

I tried starting this 50 lbs ago and got shin splints so bad I could hardly walk. I have been fighting them ever since. :(

I even stopped doing anything but the elliptical and I still get them if I do something like, play basket ball, or any sort of high impact activity.

I CAN NOT RID MYSELF OF THEM!

I used to run 3 miles every morning back when I was in shape. I have never had this problem before. :(

Have you gone to the Doc to see what he would say? Or a treatment to help you?

I entered week 8 of the C25K program today. Alot easier than I thought it would be. The program calls for a 28 min run or equivalent of 2.75 miles. I ran the 2.9 miles in 28 min.

I'm hoping to hit the 3 miles in the 28 min. before I go into the week 9. Which is the last week and are 5K runs at 30 min.

Just started. Completed Day 1 Week 1. Day 2 tomorrow. I'm using Suz's hip hop podcast. Wish there was a hard rock/metal podcast :D

I just started the couch 2 5k too :hurray: Week 1/day 1 was yesterday...I almost gave up 12 mins into it because my chins were hurting SOOOOOO bad!! BUT, I did it, I made it through all 20 mins and then walked for another 10mins!!!!

Hey congrats! Don't forget to stretch (I forgot to my last session). I'm upto Week 2 Day 2 (I'll be doing it in a few minutes).

Stretch, stretch, stretch. Not before, but after. It will help a lot. My calves really tightened up after about the 2nd week and I realized I wasn't stretching enough. I tried to do a downward dog (yoga) a couple of weeks ago and realized my heels wouldn't touch the mat, my calves were so tight.

I'm still hanging with week 5. I'm working on increasing speed in my 5min runs, rather than increasing time for right now. I realize it's not completely following the program but it's a great workout for me and I'm enjoying it, which is the important thing.

Stretch, stretch, stretch. Not before, but after. It will help a lot. My calves really tightened up after about the 2nd week and I realized I wasn't stretching enough. I tried to do a downward dog (yoga) a couple of weeks ago and realized my heels wouldn't touch the mat, my calves were so tight.
Completely understand that! I forgot to stretch after Week 2 Day 1, and it was not fun the next day, so before Day 2 I did a pre-warmup and stretch before the warm up and stretch. Don't know if it helped, but I got through it, and had a really good stretch afterwards.

I'm still hanging with week 5. I'm working on increasing speed in my 5min runs, rather than increasing time for right now. I realize it's not completely following the program but it's a great workout for me and I'm enjoying it, which is the important thing.
Definitely. Better to do something you enjoy than not do something you don't. At the moment week 5 spooks me with that 20 minute run on day 3 :D

I just found this thread; it's great there's a C25K club on WLF! :hurray: Everyone sounds like they're doing fantastically well!

I have never been a runner and am currently quite overweight (over 20kg) but I decided to start this program in the hope of losing weight quicker, building up some fitness and maybe entering the 5.5km run in this year's Melbourne Marathon. I walked it 2 years ago and was really envious of all the people who were running it!

I'm too heavy up top to go out and run in the streets so I'm doing a sort of low impact jogging on the spot version of the program while watching reruns of the Tour de France and - er - supporting myself. :biggrinjester: It's nowhere near a proper run but it works out my heart and I'm hoping to get outside once some more weight comes off and the jiggle factor lessens.

So far I'm on Week 7; will do Day 2 tomorrow. Hoping to finish in a couple of weeks and then work on speed till 12th October (race day).

Best of luck to all the runners! :)

Good for you. I also find I have "support" problems and there are times that I double up on sports bras to help with that. I know it sounds odd, but someone else recommended it to me and I find that it does help.

Thanks! Week 3 has been completed. Next week is week 4! I finished off week 3 by doing a 7 minute jog after the last 3 minute jog and walk.

I crashed and burned last night. I've been on week 5 for about 3 weeks now. :) I am alternating between the 5 min and 8 min runs ... mostly trying to build up my speed.

Last night though, I just couldn't do anything. I finished the first 5 min run, walked for another 3 mins and then my legs just gave out. I seriously almost fell. I don't know if it's stress or what. It's not over training - I know that. :)

So anyway, I quit after 13 mins and went home. *sigh* Tonight I'm going bowling with a group from the office and Saturday I'll try it again.

Day 1 of week 4 done. Was pretty dang hard this one! I think part of it had to do with it being the day after sports, not much rest :D Hopefully day 2 will be a tad easier.

Back