Couch to 5K Club

I used to run 10k a day in 2007 and then I went to university and got lazy :)
Since then I've been on-off running but not nearly as much as I used to.
I decided that I'd go for a run today to see how far I could go and then slot myself
into the appropriate week of the Couch to 5k program!
Turns out I ran 5k in 30 minutes without even realising. I honestly thought it was like 3k.
Anyway, I'm not telling this story to boast, I'm just so so so so happy that I've retained
some of my running fitness!
And despite hating every bit of that run I felt soooooo good at the end!
So anyone who is aiming to run 5k I think it's a fantastic goal and you'll love yourself
for it by the end! I'm cheering you on all the way!

hi guys :D

thought i'd join in on this thread, since i too have been doing the c25k program. i just finished week 3, day 3, and was amazed at my ability to run 3 minutes basically without straining myself. i thought this week was going to be an absolute killer, but lo and behold, i did just fine. can't wait to start week 4! actually, i can't wait to finish this program so i can deem myself a full fledged runner!

I'm in my third week. I use the couch to 5k app on my iPhone! it's pretty challenging, especially for a fat person. i vouch.

Hey all, restarting c25k program tomorrow (well techincally tonight, but I work nights so its like tomorrow for me). I've done it before to week 3/4 before quiting. I just lose my steam. Hoping this time is different (I was never really consistant with it, doing 2 days a week half the time).

I'm going to track it each time and try to stay very consistant. Consistancy has always been my problem so its time to stop that.

Perhaps, seeing as you've done it before, you could start say week 2 or 3? If you feel you can jump into it from there, that is. That way you'll be making new progress slightly quicker than starting right at the beginning. Just an idea.

I just did week 6 day 2. 25 minute jog next. Scary :D

Well I decided to just jump straight ahead and do 30 minutes, and I did it! It ended up being about 3.5 km, so I've got to find 1.5 km :D

Sooo, anybody even read this anymore? If so, I was thinking of increasing my pace once I'm done with this by doing C25K again, but this time instead of walking, I'd be jogging, and the part where you're supposed to jog, I'd increase my pace. Good idea, bad idea?

Still reading! :D

I think you could totally redo the program, while increasing your pace. I stuck with week 5 for nearly 5 weeks, all the while increasing my pace.

I'm on week 7 now and thinking about stopping again for a few weeks.

The best thing about this program, IMO, is that you can totally customize it to what you need. Using it to increase pace is a great idea and I can see that working for me after I've finished with it the first time! :)

Still reading! :D

I think you could totally redo the program, while increasing your pace. I stuck with week 5 for nearly 5 weeks, all the while increasing my pace.

I'm on week 7 now and thinking about stopping again for a few weeks.

The best thing about this program, IMO, is that you can totally customize it to what you need. Using it to increase pace is a great idea and I can see that working for me after I've finished with it the first time! :)
Glad to know :D

Thanks for the advice and confirmation :) You must have been sprinting those 5 minute runs in the end! :D

Hi! I've just finished up my first week of C25K. I googled it and this thread was one of the search results, so I joined the forum. I never follow anything through but I'm determined to finish this.

I notice some of you are skipping the first few weeks so you can tackle the more challenging stuff sooner. I've been grappling with the idea, myself.

I'm fat and embarrassingly out of shape, but even so, it feels like I'm not pushing myself enough. I think if I were to skip, I'd jump to week 5. Even though I've got nothing but time (lucky me!) I feel like if I'm going to work out, I want to make it count.

The part that's making me reconsider is I tend to push myself too hard and hurt myself...which inevitably leads to me sitting around in my underwear eating cold pizza at 4 a.m. instead of getting fit! (Apologies for that hideous mental image...) Maybe it's smarter for me to just go slow? I guess I've been fat for years so what's another few weeks of no weight loss, right?

Anyway, I've rambled on enough here! I just wanted to jump in and say hi and that I'm glad I found this thread (and the C25K site). I look forward to reading more threads here...although if I'm on here too much, someone please tell me to get off my butt and get some exercise! :D

Last edited:
You could always give a day of week 5 a try, and if it works you're good, if it doesn't you can go back to the week you were on. C25K is good like that :)

Good luck and keep at it!

Good plan. I tried out week 4 tonight and felt like it was a much better use of my time. I think I'll give week 5 a go next time. :)

Anyone still doing this??

Tomorrow I'm going to start over again. I make it to week three or four everytime, and then quit. I'm still trying to decide whether I should just start at week 1 to do the whole program, or skip to week 2 since I can probably breeze through week 1.

Anyone still doing this??

Tomorrow I'm going to start over again. I make it to week three or four everytime, and then quit. I'm still trying to decide whether I should just start at week 1 to do the whole program, or skip to week 2 since I can probably breeze through week 1.
If you think you can start at week 2, I say do it :)

Hopefully I'll get to go back to the gym tomorrow and start week 2. I had to take week off bc Ive had a nasty head cold!!

Back