Cate's Diary

Enjoy the springtime! On this side of the globe days keep getting shorter and the leaves are starting to turn. It's nice to know that as things are dying and going dormant over here, over there wildlife is picking up the speed <3

Sounds like a great day. Are your winters mild enough that your lemon tree doesn't need protecting? That sounds marvelous!
Probably not, LaMa. The poor thing struggles.
So glad your spring is springing for you! The walks and the gardening sound great!
Sorry to hear your jaw is still aching--may it heal quickly.
Spring sure is springing, Liza, but so is my hayfever. Oh well!
The jaw is not so bad today & I'll get the stitches out this afternoon. Yay!
Enjoy the springtime! On this side of the globe days keep getting shorter and the leaves are starting to turn. It's nice to know that as things are dying and going dormant over here, over there wildlife is picking up the speed <3
I do love our differences as much as I love our similarities. The birds are going crazy. They are also waking me up very early!

Cowboy's recent post about regaining weight has struck a chord with me. I think to do well I have to have a switch turned on & a set, strict plan. I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow for my annual health plan, where I can ask for a referral to an allied health professional. I'll ask to see a dietician I think.

Thanks, Floater. I'm still in 2 minds about which referral I get. I get to see one allied health professional 6 times in the next year. I'll see how I feel tomorrow. I think I know what I should & shouldn't be eating really.

I have had a strange day today. I woke up anxious this morning & a few things threw me out. Sometimes I try to fix things that are beyond my capabilities & when I realise that it's causing me stress at least I now have the ability to let it go. Once I tried fixing everything!
After my usual start to the day & taking my time having coffee etc I showered & then tried finding something for the warmer day that actually fits me & looks passable. I was very close to tears but found a 10+-year-old top that looks OK.
I took Arch for a 2km walk, had just a few tears along the way & gave myself a big talking to, mainly telling myself that if putting on weight is my biggest worry then I don't really have anything to worry about.
I told G I need to get a top in a bigger size after the dentist visit & he suggested getting more than one. One look at my face would have been enough to know that I was feeling very despondent.
I had a lovely & funny chat with the dentist. The stitches are out, it's healing well & he's not surprised I have been in a bit of pain.
After lunch, G walked Arch & I bought 3 really nice shirts & a summer cardigan in a beautiful shade of green. My sister & my friend, M would both love it.
So, I have gone up a size! This doesn't mean I have given up on losing weight, but now at least I can feel better about myself while I do so. These clothes will still look good after losing as well.

Cowboy's recent post about regaining weight has struck a chord with me. I think to do well I have to have a switch turned on & a set, strict plan. I'm seeing my doctor tomorrow for my annual health plan, where I can ask for a referral to an allied health professional. I'll ask to see a dietician I think.
I'm finding out in virtually all things, I need to keep some type of regimen. And yes, its like turning on a switch. I need a certain discipline. Once the switch is flipped though and it becomes a habit, I do okay.

Only one allied health professional a year? Does that mean if someone has a stroke they can only see a physical therapist OR an occupational therapist?

Given that your tooth had such deep and awkward roots it really is normal for your jaw (including the joint) to hurt. I hope it passes quickly though!

I can be very stubborn about not wanting to buy larger clothes but I've also been through the process often enough to get a couple of pieces and avoid the daily closet heartbreak. Your new cardigan sounds great!

I've seen lots of articles from the Journal of the American Medical Assoc. and others that people in general gained a lot during the pandemic (in some studies 1.5 pounds a month). We're not alone. I think we all get a free pass to get clothes that make us feel good like LaMa says, and go back to our healthy happy places at our own paces. I'm so happy you are letting go of more and more of the stressful stuff that you don't need to fix. I think that's key to my weight management - finding ways to not take on unnecessary stress and learning to have more equilibrium with stress I can't avoid.

Really happy your stitches are out and hope you are pain-free now! And I hope you love wearing your new tops and lovely sounding sweater!

@toodamtall Hopefully I’ll flip that switch soon. I set a couple of parameters yesterday.
@LaMaria -You can have 6 free visits all up, so that could be 2x3. If you are hospitalised that’s different.
My jaw is a little better again this morning.
I have to hang onto clothes I actually like even when I grow out of them, whichever way I go. I thought of you & my sis when I bought that cardigan. Your birthdays are only a day(& many years) apart & you have a lot in common. I realise this is coincidence but sometimes it’s uncanny.
@Marsia I know so many people put on lots of weight during the pandemic but still have to stop myself from beating myself up over it :svengo: I should know better! I feel relieved that I now have some nice things to wear in the warmer weather as I know that I have to feel good about myself to be able to knuckle down & lose weight. I feel that took some pressure off.
I also feel better for letting go of that extra drama I told you about.

I’m in a bit of a funny mood this morning & almost didn’t post at all. I’ll leave the other diaries until later. I need a few stay at home days & that will have to wait until Sunday.

Last edited:
I got a "hey, Mum" message this morning from R & after lots of messages between us, we agreed that we were both down. I rang him & we had a good talk. He has taken on too much again & has realised it & is going to give up one of his jobs (the one that entails staying away a couple of nights). It is such a fine balance with his mental health, but what is really important is not adding to his stress. He wishes he could come up & visit & I suggested he could do that when G is away for 5 nights in early October. His brother & nephews & niece will be here for the night on Friday so he could also catch up with them. He liked the sound of that.
I told him what I do when I get down & made a couple of suggestions. I hope he feels a little better after the call. I think he did.
I rang the medical centre & postponed my ap't for a month. I truthfully told them I had a headache & a sore throat.
I did the dishes, took Arch for a walk & I feel much better having a stay at home day.

I realise this is coincidence but sometimes it’s uncanny.
I like it! Can't have too many sisters :)
I feel relieved that I now have some nice things to wear in the warmer weather as I know that I have to feel good about myself to be able to knuckle down & lose weight.
Couldn't agree more. When I'm angry, sad, or frustrated healthy eating and taking care of myself are the furthest from my mind.
I hope he feels a little better after the call. I think he did.
I'm sure he did. It's so helpful to have someone you can really talk to.

I know so many people put on lots of weight during the pandemic but still have to stop myself from beating myself up over it :svengo: I should know better! I feel relieved that I now have some nice things to wear in the warmer weather as I know that I have to feel good about myself to be able to knuckle down & lose weight. I feel that took some pressure off.
I also feel better for letting go of that extra drama I told you about.
Glad you are going easy on yourself. It's hard to be disciplined without pushing too hard, at least for me! Yay for letting go of extra drama!!

It's wonderful how close you and R are. I agree with LaMa, I bet it helped him to be listened to and empathized with. It's also so lovely how you have family meetups at your house. Anyway, happy lounging day at home. Hope you feel better quick!

Thanks, LaMa & Marsia. I felt better as the day went on. Poor R found his other lamb dead yesterday & had to bury her. It's so weird. This was on top of already feeling really low. No matter how hard I try, it's impossible not to worry about him.
I rang my SIL during the afternoon to see how their time away went & they had a wonderful time. M was absolutely tired out & she thought it may have been too much for him, but she will have some wonderful memories.
I will ring R later this morning. It is our sponsor day at G's club & their AGM. G is not playing & we are just going there for an hour or so (well he is) & then coming home. Hopefully Arch & I will get a walk in. It's currently raining.
Then at 4 this afternoon we have an end of season footy tipping BBQ to go to. :(
Tomorrow is the social golf day. :svengo:
Monday day home :)
Tues day home :)
Wed day home :)

Poor R found his other lamb dead yesterday & had to bury her.
oh no :( What did the lamb die of?
No matter how hard I try, it's impossible not to worry about him.
Yes so hard to not worry about our loved ones--especially for the ones that seem extra vulnerable. You sound like you have a great relationship with R--what a blessing for both of you. I hope he can find some time to spend at your place and connect in person again.
hen at 4 this afternoon we have an end of season footy tipping BBQ to go to. :(
Tomorrow is the social golf day. :svengo:
I had to smile at your reaction to your social events--I'm much like you I think--love the home days and not so much the "go out and socialize" ones!

Hi, Liza. He really doesn't know what the lamb died from. I think they must have been ill when he got them. I do have a lovely close relationship with R but I worry about the day that I am not around. Hopefully, that's a long way off!
I'm becoming more & more a homebody. We're back from the first thing & I got 5000 steps in before 11 am. I didn't have a great night's sleep as we had wild squalls during the night & they were loud enough to wake me up. I might try to have a nana nap before this afternoon's social occasion. I can leave G there if I want as there is someone who lives past us who would drop him home. I'll see. I'm going to leave Arch at home.

Wow, that's some storm that it kept waking you up! I hope you had a refreshing nap and that you could gracefully bow out if the socialization was too much. I love being a homebody. We have been invited to lots of people's houses for dinner lately, and keep putting them off so we can get packed, so I have a lot of socializing in my future once we're moved. I'd never heard of footy tipping. Had to look it up. That's so sad about R's lambs. Poor guy. But so good he is not trying to take on too much. I hope by the time you have passed, he'll have more of a handle on how to take good care of himself and he'll be ok. Wow, I never thought about not being there for my kid anymore. That's going to be so hard. Anyway, can you skip the social golf day if you are all people'd out? Hope you are having a great week end!

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to sleep so well during stormy nights... It's almost a shame I can't hear the weather in my current apartment.

That's so sad about the lambs but you're right that they probably weren't ok to begin with.

Hi, Marsia & LaMa. I'm back home again from the golf day & feel quite pooped, but, yay, I'm home! ✅
The weekend has been better than I imagined it would be, but the weather today was just awful & the golf was abandoned after 6 holes, which is why we are back home already. It ended up being an enjoyable, sociable occasion with lots of laughs.
So glad I don't have to go anywhere for 3 days though :D

Sounds like a lovely day, and nice relaxing ones to come!!

Back