Cate's Diary

We have many friends in their 80s and 90s, some who still play golf. I bumped into one guy(S) in town yesterday who is 94. I invited him to an afternoon tea we will have for one of the Vets golfers who is turning 90 this month. S plays bowls now but misses golf. He's a lovely guy & still switched on.
That's great. I do hope that if I live into my 80's/90's that I will be like that!

I'm enjoying a soft red wine (Rabo de Gala) after a month without any alcohol. It is yummy. I am sipping it slowly & I had a slice of cheese beforehand.
Congrats on a full month of no alcohol. The glass of wine sounds lovely--I hope you can find your way to the happy place of moderation!

Wonderful you had a whole month of solid deficits. That sounds like a good birthday enjoying golf on another course. I bet you have so many friends in their 80s and 90s because of playing golf, so it seems like there would be a lot of funerals, but that your friends also get to live full, healthy lives like you and G are doing, too. I'm glad you get to savor a glass of wine and have a relaxing day today.
Thanks, M. We have made most of our friendships through golf in the last 10 years since I started playing. It's wonderful to see them out there & it's lovely having something so healthy in common.
That's great. I do hope that if I live into my 80's/90's that I will be like that!
I'm hoping that we will too 🤞
Congrats on a full month of no alcohol. The glass of wine sounds lovely--I hope you can find your way to the happy place of moderation!
Thanks, Liza. The red wine I drank made me so, so itchy. I'm not in any rush to have another. I have a feeling moderation won't be difficult.
I had a surplus of 17 cals yesterday.
I am still itchy.
Another home day coming up :)

I hope the itchiness goes away soon. I am allergic to commercial grapes - I break out in massive hives, and I think it's from all the commercial pesticides. Commercial grapes are supposed to be one of the worst foods for that. I always wonder if wines have similar problems for people with sensitivities like that. That's wonderful to have a 10 year healthy sport that is so social, too. I'm so glad you have that!

I hope the itchiness goes away soon. I am allergic to commercial grapes - I break out in massive hives, and I think it's from all the commercial pesticides. Commercial grapes are supposed to be one of the worst foods for that. I always wonder if wines have similar problems for people with sensitivities like that. That's wonderful to have a 10 year healthy sport that is so social, too. I'm so glad you have that!
Me too, M. I'm still itchy. I like this particular wine & it has been one of my favourites. I hadn't noticed during the month without alcohol that I had been less itchy, but this has made me aware of it. I think it's the sulphites used in preserving it. It's inexpensive & I had ordered more but cancelled my order this morning. I don't mind really. I preferred how I felt not drinking.
I'm glad I have golf too. I am going to keep playing as long as I possibly can.

We're on page 1111 of your diary. Is Rob around? He was mad for the angel numbers. I'm pretty sure this is one.

Alcohol is great while you're doing it but I think you pay the piper more and more as you age. I definitely think nature is constantly trying to balance itself out and our bodies are part of that. I am still confused as to where our brains come from...

Itchiness isn't good, but yes, good if it helps in the goal of moderation!
It stopped me from having one yesterday :)
We're on page 1111 of your diary. Is Rob around? He was mad for the angel numbers. I'm pretty sure this is one.
Google says-"The number '1111' is considered powerful and creative, representing new beginnings, leadership, and spirituality. It is a message from angels to stay on the right path and embrace opportunities. The number '1111' can help fulfil dreams and desires through active participation and setting clear intentions."
It's a pity I don't believe in angels ;) I am going to set some clear intentions though xo
Alcohol is great while you're doing it but I think you pay the piper more and more as you age. I definitely think nature is constantly trying to balance itself out and our bodies are part of that. I am still confused as to where our brains come from...
For sure, Em. I feel better for not drinking. I will still have one here & there if I feel like it. Today, for example, we are going to lunch with A & M. A will be going to Melb soon for an operation for Oesoephagus cancer. We go to their favourite Chinese restaurant & have a lunch special which includes a glass of wine. We only ever have one & I won't have another when we get back home.

I had a 281 deficit yesterday with little exercise.

Last edited:
Wow, you are doing so great with eating moderate amounts of food. I'm glad you can still enjoy a glass of wine here and there. I hope A's cancer got caught early and that he's ok. It's awful how many people you know who had or have cancer. I didn't really realize how prevalent it is now. My friends and I always seem to notice when it was 11:11, but I didn't know about angel numbers. I like synchronicities.

Thanks, Marsia. We had a lovely catch-up with A & M. I also had a haircut, which made me feel so good. I just got a call from A & he sounded so chirpy. I had looked up accommodation for them near where he's having treatment & had given it to them the last time we saw them. He had dismissed it at the time, saying he wasn't entitled to any assistance, but I said it was worth trying. He got home today to an email saying it was all organised through the contact I had given him & it would save them about $1,500. He was so happy. He says he owes me a bottle of bubbly. I also got a message from M thanking me. I know she was embarrassed that he had dismissed my help. It's OK though. He's used to organising everything, like interstate golf trips & not used to anyone else doing it for him. I love doing stuff like that. It's great that I was able to help.
I also changed telcos this morning & that was not straightforward. My driver's licence wouldn't authenticate, but by sheer chance, I had found my lost one this morning & had thrown it in my glove box. The number on the back of my new card matched but the expiry date of my old one was the one needed. That's crazy. I'll take them into our local service centre & get that fixed. It was a fluke that I found my old card (in a jacket pocket) & took it with me. By changing telcos I now get 100G of data a month. Yay!

That's great you could help A save so much and have someone help with the planning. Good serendipity that you even thought to bring your old driver's license. I love when things just work out like that. So good to have the extra data just in case!!

That is really so great you could help A like that!
Very nice job on such a good deficit when going out for dinner and having a drink!

I just got a call from A & he sounded so chirpy. I had looked up accommodation for them near where he's having treatment & had given it to them the last time we saw them. He had dismissed it at the time, saying he wasn't entitled to any assistance, but I said it was worth trying. He got home today to an email saying it was all organised through the contact I had given him & it would save them about $1,500. He was so happy. He says he owes me a bottle of bubbly. I also got a message from M thanking me. I know she was embarrassed that he had dismissed my help. It's OK though. He's used to organising everything, like interstate golf trips & not used to anyone else doing it for him. I love doing stuff like that. It's great that I was able to help.
Oh Cate, this is wonderful. How lovely to be able to help A so much. You should be very proud of yourself. x

Thanks, Marsia, Liza & Em. I was happy with the outcome & so were they. M had been worried that they wouldn't be able to book into the nearest, preferred accommodation place & now they are. They have enough to worry about with his cancer.
I only ended up with a 50 deficit as I was going to have a piccolo of bubbly but G opened a bottle instead. I had walked a lot in town so still had a healthy eating day, meeting all of my nutrition goals- 100% protein too. Yay!
I'm meeting T at the market this morning & we'll have lunch there. They have lots of food stalls now & the food looks excellent. I'm taking Arch. G is playing golf with I, T's husband & D, A & M's son.

I love places with food stalls. I hope you find nice new places to eat that you love and have a wonderful outing with T. That's great you could enjoy bubbly and still maintain a deficit.

I'm meeting T at the market this morning & we'll have lunch there. They have lots of food stalls now & the food looks excellent. I'm taking Arch. G is playing golf with I, T's husband & D, A & M's son.
oh that sounds like a lovely plan for the day! Enjoy!

Thanks, Marsia & Liza. I had such a lovely day. I did a little shopping before T got there & we wandered around for a couple of hours, bought a few little things, and had an Afghani lunch & a coffee & I said I was going to take Arch to the offlead dog park & asked if she would like to come along. We spent another hour chatting to other dog "parents" & had a lovely social outing. I am getting to know quite a few dog owners. My little Archie is a bit smitten with Big Archie. He runs all over the park & loves it. He was the smallest dog there but it doesn't worry him. I take him into the sociable section rather than the "vulnerable" dog section.
I tuckered him out. He hardly moved for the rest of the day :)
I had a 500 deficit yesterday with lots of walking & no alcohol.
Today G was meant to be caddying for D but is now playing pennant (in a high division). He feels way out of his depth but I told him that it doesn't matter as he is helping them out so they don't forfeit. Arch & I might have a relatively lazy day. I'll pull the rest of the tomatoes out as the nights are getting cold.
I didn't sleep very well at all last night.
Edited at 10.58 am:
I just had another go at installing my new printer(minus wifi) after wasting a day earlier last week(via wifi, which failed) & after trying to return it to the store & I succeeded! Yay! Happy dance :)

Last edited:
Oh that sounds like a perfect day out. I love seeing off-leash dog parks and all the dogs enjoying each other so much.
And very nice job on another great deficit as well!

Oh good job at getting that printer installed!!

So much happened in one week! Sounds like you're doing great :grouphug:
I hadn't noticed during the month without alcohol that I had been less itchy, but this has made me aware of it. I think it's the sulphites used in preserving it.
It could also be the histamines. Some producers filter out histamines and it did make a difference for me back when I was most sensitive to them.

Oh that sounds like a perfect day out. I love seeing off-leash dog parks and all the dogs enjoying each other so much.
And very nice job on another great deficit as well!

Oh good job at getting that printer installed!!
Thanks, Liza. I did so much yesterday & ticked off so many little jobs that needed doing. Washing, ironing, pulling up plants after picking all of the tomatoes, packing our big crop of walnuts into glass jars & biscuit tins (to keep them away from rodents), tidying up a spare room, finishing off Dave Grohl's book, taking Arch for a walk......
Sounds like you're doing great :grouphug:
Thanks, Llama. I feel like I'm doing great too, but my weight isn't budging & I'm not going to drop my calories below 1370.
It could also be the histamines. Some producers filter out histamines and it did make a difference for me back when I was most sensitive to them.
It probably is Llama or a combination of both. This month's break from alcohol has done the trick though & broken the habit. I don't want to have a glass of wine at the end of every day. It feels good.

I made an appointment to see my doctor in the first week of June & will discuss weight loss again. I have a cardio ap't coming up in a couple of weeks & will ask him too. It is very frustrating.
Yesterday's deficit was 266 cals.
I just looked at my last month's nutrition figures & I only reached my protein goal on 4 days. I will start having a protein powder/oat milk drink & will order some more powder.

Last edited:
That sounds like such a festive visit with T and such a productive week. I've never had Afghani food before. What sorts of dishes did you have? I have only had good success with weight loss if I ignore that I am not losing consistently and just concentrate on making it through the plateau weight times. It seems like I don't lose weight if I am stressed either. I am starting to do exercise where at the end I am slightly out of breath and will keep increasing the time I'm in that state. I need to eat less to see any results, but I am hoping I can get good results to report back to you. I hope your doctors have good advice, too! How did G's golfing go? Was he ok competing with people in the higher rankings? I'm glad you have a nice printer that doesn't give you grief, too!

Back