Cate's Diary

That's so good you can postpone the foot surgery decision. I have been wondering about if you could ask your sons for help on your place once in a while so you can stay there instead of moving. Your place sounds like paradise! Glad you had a good visit with your friends. We've been going to the grocery store and getting fancy groceries and having picnics instead of eating out. The non-boring restaurants here are too expensive now. I'm glad R is doing so well!
It was such a relief, M! We love this house but we do need help with it. It's such a lovely house. We both find it hard to ask for help. R lives so far away but we see him more & D lives 40 km away but we rarely see him & he seems so busy. The non-boring restaurants here are way too expensive. R sounded so happy yesterday. He rang me 3 times!
That would've been such a shock to suddenly be called in for surgery a week away!
It threw me into a tizz. I think I'll change my way of thinking to "trying to plan ahead in case things get worse & then I have to wait, while in pain" to " be optimistic & hope it doesn't happen".
What is the foot operation for? Did you have pain previously that cleared on its own? That is good you can postpone the decision without coming off the list altogether.
I have bunions on both of my feet, but the right one is worse than the left & I have a hammertoe. All of my toes are readjusting to being squeezed over. I'm not in pain though & they don't rub. I wear a little silicone toe cover when I play golf.
That sounds like the best solution Cate.

Why did you decide not to view the house?
Thanks, Em. I felt so relieved I felt like a wine to celebrate, but had an AF cider instead.
I decided not to view the house Em for lots of reasons. It would be such a huge job to move & we are both so emotionally attached to our home. G has gone along with me looking but I know he wants to stay here & the more I thought about moving the more I want to stay too. It's so private up here & peaceful. I could walk around this house blindfolded. It feels like a part of us. I'll reassess if I am on my own. I hope that's a long way away!

Yesterday I had a deficit of 219.
I'm off to golf with the women today. Wish me luck!

I hope golf with the women is/was relaxed and fun. Bunion surgery is such a difficult topic but I'm sure I've done that rant before so I won't repeat it.

:rant:
First off: I'm biased because the people who get surgery and everything goes great never get referred for PT. So take anything I say with a grain of salt. But: right here and right now I wouldn't encourage anyone to get bunion surgery unless they cause actual, regular pain. While the result of the surgery is almost always an aesthetic improvement toe movement is often restricted afterwards, people who didn't have pain before often have some (sometimes quite a bit) afterwards, and because many surgeons assume everything will automatically be ok after they do what they do they just tell people to wait for more healing when they complain rather than referring them through as soon as they see healing isn't progressing as it should. When someone comes to us a year after surgery there usually isn't much we can do about mobility.
I really hope there will be some improvements in this area in the next ten years because there doesn't seem to have been any in the past 25. I want artificial toe joints (which probably exist but I haven't seen them) not just sawing bits off, wiring them up in a different position, and hoping the body will spontaneously do the exact right amount of moving and loading to avoid both stiffness and unnecessary pain.
:rant:

I'm glad you decided to stay in your home. I bet if you do have to ask your sons for help around the place they will feel needed and appreciated helping you stay in your lovely home. Nice to hear that golf with the women went really well and that R has a bunch of good news to share with you. I love that he phones you multiple times a day to share it!! Do you know if there are therapeutic shoes or anything like that which help with bunions? It seems like so many people get them there should be something non-invasive out there to help?!

Great to hear that golfing with the women went well!
And nice job on your calorie deficit. I can well imagine how hard it would be to even imagine letting go of a house that was made for you like that. I'm sure you'll know when or if the time is ever right to make a move. Who knows, maybe eventually R would move there with his partner and you could all live there together for years to come...

@Llama - Thank you. I wanted to hear a rant. The thought of the operation horrified me & I was glad to read what you said. I felt like I would be risking all of the things that I can do right now. I think I will see a podiatrist.
@Marsia -I feel relieved to take that pressure away from myself. It's a lovely home & it's a part of us, not just a house. I'll get back to decluttering & trying to sell some stuff. Part of my reasoning for selling & downsizing was to have more money available for holidays & spending money, but we're ok.
The shoes I always wear give me lots of space for my toes. I have them in different colours. They're Kroten Travel Walkers. Over the years I have had orthopaedic inserts but they haven't worked for me. I do use an arch support insert.
I love how close R & I are & that he wants to share everything with me. I asked him years ago to make sure he shares the good as well as the bad.
@liza3- It was good to have a pleasant day with the women. It was the best turn-up for a long while. I am now playing against the shorter handicapped women too, which I quite like. It has evened up the odds quite a bit.
I helped design the house & the architect then came up with something I couldn't have even imagined in my wildest dreams. It's very much like a mountain lodge, made of stone picked up from our land. R's partner would need to stay near where she is for her family.
I had another nice deficit yesterday- 576 (with 476 extra coming from exercise & 1270 cals consumed).

I bought some protein bars from Iherb & they arrived yesterday. I need something like that on golf days. I also am taking rosehip capsules again as my Arthritis has flared up again. As part of my austerity drive I had dropped a few supplements, but that is one I obviously still need!

You love your home, and you're there a lot more than a 2-week holiday. Stay there for as long as you can. The future will take care of itself. Also, your house sounds beautiful.

I also think that people are put under pressure to always be going off on holidays somewhere. If you're happy at home, there's no need to be globetrotting and spending loads of money. I love travel but I have plenty going on at home to keep me busy too. :)

Thanks, Em. You're right. We love our home & are always happy to get home after going anywhere. I don't have the mad urge to travel anymore, but I would like more spending money so I'll put my thinking cap on. Worrying about the future is such a waste of energy!

Being the first and only occupants of a house built from the bones of the land it stands on sounds like sonething out of a fairytale ❤️

It seems like so many people get them there should be something non-invasive out there to help?!
I don't think there's an official protocol because most people don't think to do something about their bunions until they're so bad the muscles have long since stopped functioning and are so far out of alignment they can't do the job they're meant to do even if we can reactivate them. Anecdotally I have had patients come in after having had surgery on one side where the other side wasn't as bad, they did their exercises with both feet, and greatly improved the side that hadn't had surgery as well. But if you have the genetic predisposition for bunions they may start evolving as early as your teens and nobody is worried about foot health that early.

helped design the house & the architect then came up with something I couldn't have even imagined in my wildest dreams. It's very much like a mountain lodge, made of stone picked up from our land.
That does sound magical--I like that the stones came from the land you are on. I hope you can find a way to get that extra money you are looking for to help staying there feel easier.

Thanks, Liza. It is magical & a wonderful place to live. I must never forget that. We are so lucky to live here. Our home fits into our land & is so strong & earthy.
I had a deficit of 217 yesterday. I mostly did housework but also finished a book - "Mrs Harris Goes to Paris" by Paul Gallico. Sometimes these old-fashioned books are just what you need. It was a nice day.
This morning I have an appointment with my female doctor. My list is a tad long of questions so I will probably make another appointment.

That's so lovely you designed your house and had it fit into the landscape! It's great you are having a really good time with the women at the golf club and are well matched with the women you are playing with now. I'm so glad Llama can back you up about not getting foot surgery. My mom really needed that, but she had heard about so many bad outcomes that she just lived with a gimpy foot. (Thanks for the great explanation, Llama!). I second Llama's well wishes for your doctor's visit!!

Best of luck with your doctor's visit: may all your questions be swiftly and positively answered.
My doctor's visit was lovely & my questions were all answered in detail & very positively. I really like her & hope she stays. her husband is lovely too & works in the same practice. It's usually a 2-year contract & then they go elsewhere, but you never know....
I am on a healthcare plan & podiatry has now been added. I can see someone five times in a year. I discussed weight loss with her & asked about medication. She remembered how well we eat & what I do for exercise, which was very helpful. I have delayed deciding about it & will go back after reading much more information. I'm leaning towards it. I will ask my cardio when I see him in 2 weeks, plus if I have not lost any more by then doing what I am doing now. It is getting harder & harder every year.
I had a lovely message from our granddaughter, E, asking if she & her BF, J, & her brother, C can come for a meal while J is visiting. We decided on Thursday evening. Then she messaged me again to say that her older brother, A & his partner L are free on Thursday night & would love to come too. I messaged her back that would be perfect. I love that she's done this. She'll be 18 in July. I love our grandkids!
I have done some gardening this afternoon & pulled up half of our tomato plants & have a couple of beds that I can plant with something for Winter. I think I'll mostly plant herbs & spinach.
That's so lovely you designed your house and had it fit into the landscape! It's great you are having a really good time with the women at the golf club and are well matched with the women you are playing with now. I'm so glad Llama can back you up about not getting foot surgery. My mom really needed that, but she had heard about so many bad outcomes that she just lived with a gimpy foot. (Thanks for the great explanation, Llama!). I second Llama's well wishes for your doctor's visit!!
Oh, M I am so glad that I declined foot surgery. It's not worth the risk. My doctor agreed when I told her about my last operation under general anaesthetic.
I feel so happy this afternoon :)
Edited at 8 pm to say I might not be on here in the morning as I want to watch the US Masters before we play tomorrow.

Last edited:
E is almost 18? Time does fly... it's lovely that you've been able to build such a solid relationship with the grandkids and they're now old enough to keep that going independently, without having to go through their parents all the time.

I had a lovely message from our granddaughter, E, asking if she & her BF, J, & her brother, C can come for a meal while J is visiting. We decided on Thursday evening. Then she messaged me again to say that her older brother, A & his partner L are free on Thursday night & would love to come too. I messaged her back that would be perfect. I love that she's done this. She'll be 18 in July. I love our grandkids!
Oh lovely--sounds like it should be a really nice gathering!
I discussed weight loss with her & asked about medication. She remembered how well we eat & what I do for exercise, which was very helpful. I have delayed deciding about it & will go back after reading much more information. I'm leaning towards it. I will ask my cardio when I see him in 2 weeks, plus if I have not lost any more by then doing what I am doing now. It is getting harder & harder every year.
Would the medication be to help with weight-loss? That is lovely that you were able to have such a good visit with her to discuss various possibilities and that she knows you well enough to remember your lifestyle and everything.

E is almost 18? Time does fly... it's lovely that you've been able to build such a solid relationship with the grandkids and they're now old enough to keep that going independently, without having to go through their parents all the time.
She is & it is lovely that we have a loving relationship. E is good at keeping in touch. She went through a very rough patch & has come through it. She doesn't know that I know about it & I'm glad that she doesn't.
Oh lovely--sounds like it should be a really nice gathering!
I'm sure it will be. I love these kids 💓
Would the medication be to help with weight-loss? That is lovely that you were able to have such a good visit with her to discuss various possibilities and that she knows you well enough to remember your lifestyle and everything.
It would & she's keen. She has checked that it should not be an issue with any of my health conditions & other meds. I will be cautious & ask my cardio first though.
❤️
Wonderful post Cate. I'm so glad the doctor's visit was so positive for you and that your granddaughter reached out to you. That would definitely make you feel good! Enjoy the Masters.
I am feeling happy & it's nice to have good news. Bad news from the people I love affects me so much. I'm a bit of an emotional sponge.

I had a lovely day yesterday. G & I invited M & B to play with us at our club in a 4 person team event. The short-handicapped male teams usually win & you're lucky to get close to a place, but we were 4th. We all had our moments & we had a lot of fun.
I am on day 14 of no alcohol. Yesterday was the first day I felt like one, but I didn't.
I had a deficit of 528 cals.
Today G is caddying for our youngish friend (A & M's son). I watched the Masters again this morning & am loving it. Go Scottie Scheffler!

Back