Cate's Diary

Thanks, Em (& Llama). I am competitive at golf & I would love to get my name up on the honours board with the women. It is good to have some goal & purpose although having fun & getting exercise is probably good enough.
The sky is clearing thank goodness & hopefully we don't get any more rain before tomorrow's game or it will be a hard slog.

As long as competitiveness makes it more fun and engaging for you rather than more stressful I think it's an asset (and sometimes a reason to go out there despite the rain).

It does make it more fun for me, Llama, probably because it just means that I'm playing better. My handicap is gradually coming in which makes me happy :)

Cate I know little to nothing about any sport at all, so I am in awe of how several of you here seem to be really skilled athletically! It sounds like you have a lovely group of friends that make it fun, which makes it all the better!

I agree that not stuffing your face while annoyed and worried is heroic AND congratulations on the downward trend on the scale! :hurray:

Hi Cate,
Sorry to hear the car is working out to cost more than hoped to fix. I hope it works out ok.
The golfing all sounds great. Yes, a bit of healthy, fun competition can be really great. Something just to motivate us to keep out there. I like the idea of "personal best" that people mention in running. So you are just basically kind of competing against yourself. It sounds similar to your approach with golf.
But i especially like the sound of having the laugh with friends out there. Gosh that was such a great investment to get that cart so you can get out there so much more again!

Why do they call it a handicap anyway, do you know? It sounds so strange.
You had me wondering so I looked it up. This is one explanation, but I don't know if it's true or not.
"originally comes from a game called "Hand in Cap," which is a game of chance in which every person would have an equal chance of winning in each succeeding game that you played."
It's always more fun to play better!
It is Em.
Cate I know little to nothing about any sport at all, so I am in awe of how several of you here seem to be really skilled athletically! It sounds like you have a lovely group of friends that make it fun, which makes it all the better!
I have always enjoyed playing sports, Jen. I lived for it at school. Golf is fun when you play with friends & don't take it seriously.
I agree that not stuffing your face while annoyed and worried is heroic AND congratulations on the downward trend on the scale! :hurray:
I hope it holds 🤞
Hi Cate,
Sorry to hear the car is working out to cost more than hoped to fix. I hope it works out ok.
So do I, Liza. We still haven't heard how much it will cost :(
The golfing all sounds great. Yes, a bit of healthy, fun competition can be really great. Something just to motivate us to keep out there. I like the idea of "personal best" that people mention in running. So you are just basically kind of competing against yourself. It sounds similar to your approach with golf.
But i especially like the sound of having the laugh with friends out there. Gosh that was such a great investment to get that cart so you can get out there so much more again!
I am so glad I bought that cart. I love it & love driving it. I'll be playing on Wednesday with the women, maybe Sat at the club on a sponsor day & then again on Sunday with our social group. 😯 That may be a bit much...

I took a day off the forum yesterday as I was shaken up by a reaction to one of my posts in someone's diary. It played on my mind during the game yesterday & for the last couple of nights. I must admit that I feel hurt. I don't like upsetting or hurting anyone. I value this space & my forum friends. I don't cope at all well with conflict.

Sorry about the dispute but you didn't do anything wrong, from what I can see. :(

I think the golf is great for you. 3 days playing per week sounds about right. :)

Thanks, Em. I think that even if I didn't do or say anything wrong, it was taken the wrong way & that still hurts me. I don't like hurting anyone's feelings.
Golf is really good for me. We just looked & the Saturday golf has changed to a different sort of game & we may skip it. 2 days in a row is a bit much & G is also playing Monday & Tuesday. 2 days a week is good for me. Archie struggles with us both being away at the same time. He really frets.

You deserve to get the kindness you show so many others returned to you :grouphug: Sometimes people are just too raw to see it.
Glad to hear you're not playing two days in a row: you're doing so brilliantly and it would be a shame to get a setback now.

Thanks, Llama. Today has been a bit of a struggle & I have been feeling very down xoxo
Sending you a big hug Cate. :grouphug:
You are such a lovely supportive presence on this forum (and from what I can tell in your in-person life as well!)
I feel the same way when someone has a bad reaction to something I've said, probably even more so when I intend it as kind.
You do such an amazing job at showing up for everyone here. I hope you feel the love and appreciation we all have for you!

Thank you so much, Liza. I can feel that love & I really appreciate & cherish it. I wish I was more resilient.
We are having a bit of a run of bad luck away from the forum & I hope this week will be a better one. We could do with some good news. Being up here & isolated usually feels good, but only having one car & still no idea what it will cost to fix G's has me quite anxious. If only I had lent our son, D our fully insured car! I am not usually into the if only or should have, but..... :svengo:
I will need to be strong food-wise again for the next 2 days as G will be gone today & tomorrow playing golf & then pool tomorrow night.

Thanks, Em. I just sent someone a private message & had a little cry & then saw your message. You're right. I'll bounce back. I usually do. I do wish I was more resilient though. My lovely husband just rang to give me a teensy bit of good news so that's a start. Luckily he couldn't tell I had been crying as he's a bit down too. I am so lucky to have him!

The good thing about being so sensitive is that you also notice the nice things more. Including teensy bits of good news. It makes life so much more beautiful, even if it means it also hurts more.

The good thing about being so sensitive is that you also notice the nice things more. Including teensy bits of good news. It makes life so much more beautiful, even if it means it also hurts more.
That's a good way of looking at it, Llama.
I curled up with a good book** today & a pot of peppermint tea with Archie on my lap & it rained for most of the day. At 2.30 pm I took Arch for a walk & was picked up by G on his way home. He rang as he was leaving. He had a good day & I feel much better this afternoon.
** The good book @Emilyrose is "My Dream Time" by Ash Barty. I'm sure you would like it. I had abandoned a boring book & am half way through this one.

Back