Weight-Loss August Exercise Challenge

Weight-Loss
Status
Not open for further replies.

Trusylver

Sport and Exercise Coach
Staff member
Not sure how well this will go, however I will endeavour to post an exercise challenge each month which will include both cardio and a strengthening exercise, staring out easy and building up from there, this is a little late for the start of the month but a couple of days should not matter.

Cardio Challenge -
Spend 30 minutes each day doing some brisk walking, getting outside to do this will not only burn calories and improve fitness levels it is good for your mental health

Strength Challenge - 30 minutes 4 times per week

Time to work on those thighs and buttocks with some step ups. Using a shorter bench or step will make this movement easier. For greater challenge, use taller bench or box. Barbells and Dumbbells can also provide additional resistance. Working the larger muscles of the body burn more calories and Studies have demonstrated that after a weight-training workout, metabolism can be boosted for up to 38 hours post-workout.

ExRx.net : Step-up

Last edited:
Reactions: PLB
Well, I'm in for the walking, anyway. So far today, out once to buy bread and out again to the bank - all on foot, naturally!.

So today I walked for 30 min on the treadmill on an incline. I also went to the park and walked around.

I strength trained my entire body at the gym.

Checking in - yesterday was a half-hour walk - which probably would have been longer (in time, not distance) except that halfway through there was a lost-wallet panic, which involved going back really fast for about a quarter of the distance, until - success! the wallet was found! :)
Today has begun with a short morning pre-breakfast walk, but that's not enough, so more will follow.

I am in for the exercise challenge!

For me this is a 3 part challenge.

1. Walk everyday (30 mins or more)
2. Cardio session (moderate to intense) 2 times a week or more
3. Yoga 2 times a week or more

I'm hoping being a part of this challenge will help me be more accountable!

My goal for this challenge is to check in with my results every week- even if i didn't acheive my goals

Cool, I'd like to join! I'm not able to log in every day, but I will come log what I've done when I come on! I will plan to work out (strength training) 3-4 times per week and get over 15,000 steps at least 4 days per week.

August 1:
41 minutes strength training
22,942 steps/9.8 miles walking

August 2:
19.616 steps/8.4 miles walking

August 3 & 4:
rest days

As I posted the challenge I should give an update as to what I have been up to.

I have been outside every day for 30 minutes+ chasing a toddler around, definitely counts as cardio outside
I have spent 30 minutes every second day doing step up as an addition to my regular activities which include lifting and rehab at the gym 4 days per week combined with lifting and cardio as part of my Uni studies (nobody likes doing beep tests lol)

Chasing a toddler around outside - yes, that's cardio for sure!
I'm just back from about fifty minutes' walk - longer than I intended, due to getting off at the wrong bus-stop. Yesterday I didn't walk but tried the step-up, which I suppose was good for my knees or legs generally, but does feel very unproductive. (I'm sure it is productive, but I'm not sure of what.)

Chasing a toddler around outside - yes, that's cardio for sure!
I'm just back from about fifty minutes' walk - longer than I intended, due to getting off at the wrong bus-stop. Yesterday I didn't walk but tried the step-up, which I suppose was good for my knees or legs generally, but does feel very unproductive. (I'm sure it is productive, but I'm not sure of what.)

Step ups are a basic strengthening exercise, if you take a look at the link in the first post you will see all of the muscles involved.

Yesterday I did over an hour long walk. Felt good.

Today I plan on getting on the treadmill and do some weight training at the gym.

First week of the August Exercise Challenge went well!

Monday August 5 - 60 min yoga (hot express)
Wednesday August 7 - 20 mins on elliptical
Thursday August 8 - 60 min yoga (hot express)
Friday August 9 - 45 mins elliptical
Saturday August 10 - 90 min yoga (hot bikram)

Steps - I have a step counter on my phone. I do get more steps throughout the day because I don’t always have my phone on me. But I like having something to track and see if there are trends, etc.

Sunday 4 - 4789
Monday 5 - 4179
Tuesday 6 - 7942
Wednesday 7 - 7642
Thursday 8 - 10835
Friday 9 - 9048
Saturday 10 - 7502
Sunday 11 - 4891

At yoga on Saturday i finally hit a pose I’ve been trying to hit since I started back doing yoga again about month ago. Feels really good to see that progress!

How is everybody going ? Today is a uni day, so lots of running around in the sport's stadium

Not going terrifically, to be honest. Over-busyness has meant that the walks have been put to the back of the queue, though I've been continuing with tai chi and balance training. Thanks for the nudge to get back out there!

2nd week I fell short of my goals.

Monday - 90 min hot yoga class (bikram)

Steps

M - 1817
T - 6260
W - 2945
Th - 7521
F - 361
S - 6199
Su - 6325

I worked 60 hours in the last week, so things were pretty hectic. I have several days off coming up so should be good to get back on track.

The funny thing is I know if I did make the time to workout when I’m busy at work I will feel much better!

Onwards and upwards :hurray:

1 week to go, keep pushing :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back