Alligatorob's Diary

I am getting really bad about hitting the post reply button, missed it for yesterday...

Today was a good day, ate well, got 3 hour and 5 min in at the gym and I feel good. I think my legs are as fit as I can get them for the hacking, hope it helps.
Printable Nutrition Report for Alligatorob.jpg

The sooner you have surgery the sooner you can start to heal and rebuild. Not looking forward to the process is perfectly normal though!

It was a good day, ate well, got 2 hours in at the gym and I feel good tonight.

Went for my pre-op doctor's visit today, all went well, apparently I am healthy enough to get my legs sawed off... He told to expect to have to stay 2 or 3 days in the hospital and then 10 to 20 day in an inpatient rehab place. The rehab place has physical therapists and they will force me to work the new knees twice a day. Then I can expect a total of about 2 months to get back to regular activities. Hope its worth it.

Whist in the hospital and rehab I probably won't have much control over what I eat, and am not sure if I'll be able to post. Just have to do my best on both counts.
The sooner you have surgery the sooner you can start to heal and rebuild. Not looking forward to the process is perfectly normal though!
Thanks Llama, it helps to remember others have been through this too. And so far as I can tell most were happy they did in the end.

Attachments

• Printable Nutrition Report for Alligatorob.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 0
You’re a brave man, Rob! Both knees at once? Wow!
I thought I had posted the above!
Whist in the hospital and rehab I probably won't have much control over what I eat, and am not sure if I'll be able to post. Just have to do my best on both counts.
I’m sure you will do well Rob. All the best!

Binging at the hospital and rehab facility probably won't be an issue unless kind visitors bring you binge ammo. General advice: don't take anything to the hospital that you'd mind getting stolen. It shouldn't be an issue but it often is.

It was a good day, ate well, got in 2 hours at the gym, and feel good tonight. My knees are hurting more, I think I given up babying them, at this point it doesn't seem to matter, they'll be gone soon.
You’re a brave man, Rob! Both knees at once? Wow!
No, its my fear that if I just do one at a time then I wouldn't be brave enough to get the second one done! It is rare, only 6% are done at the same time in the US. But I know people who have done it and all agree they were glad they did. Hope I become another of those...
Binging at the hospital and rehab facility probably won't be an issue unless kind visitors bring you binge ammo.
You are probably right about that, even if I eat everything they give me it shouldn't be too too much. Don't plan to bring anything with me.
General advice: don't take anything to the hospital that you'd mind getting stolen. It shouldn't be an issue but it often is.
Good advice, will remember that, thanks!

Attachments

267.2 KB · Views: 0
Don't overload your knees in the last few days. The joints may get removed but inflammation will also afflict the joint capsule/tendons and you'll still need those.

Send anything binge worthy away, Rob! I hope it all goes well for you. Take it easy for the next couple of days please.

Today was a good day, ate well exercised and feel good tonight. Did 2 hours in the gym, my last day in the gym until after surgery...
Don't overload your knees in the last few days. The joints may get removed but inflammation will also afflict the joint capsule/tendons and you'll still need those.
Probably good advice. I realized part of the reason my knees are hurting more is that I had to go off of the meloxicam arthritis meds I take. My knees are not the only thing hurting a bit more.
Send anything binge worthy away, Rob! I hope it all goes well for you. Take it easy for the next couple of days please.
I will try to send binge worthy food away. I find that in that kind of setting I do not eat all the first day or so, then I just tend to eat whatever they deliver. Will do my best. And I do plan no gym this weekend, just getting ready to be gone a while.

Attachments

232.3 KB · Views: 0
I'm sure there's plenty to do in preparation. Take some time to relax if you can because a relaxed mind/body heals better. (That isn't some woowoo but a result of how the autonomic nervous system works.)

He told to expect to have to stay 2 or 3 days in the hospital and then 10 to 20 day in an inpatient rehab place. The rehab place has physical therapists and they will force me to work the new knees twice a day. Then I can expect a total of about 2 months to get back to regular activities. Hope its worth it.
Just want to wish you all the best for the surgery Rob!

Today was a busy day, but a good one. I ate well and feel good tonight. No gym, but mowed the lawn and did a lot of work getting ready to be gone for a while.
I was thinking more of visitors' "treats".
Good point, I will beware those!
Take some time to relax if you can because a relaxed mind/body heals better. (That isn't some woowoo but a result of how the autonomic nervous system works.)
Thanks, hopefully I can do that tomorrow. I know stress won't help. Just seem to be so many things that need doing.
Just want to wish you all the best for the surgery Rob!
Hey Liza, good to hear from you! And thanks for the well wishes. I know I'll probably be ok, many others have done this before and the vast majority are happy they did, after recovery.

Kind of a funny day, just getting ready for and thinking about the surgery. Guess I am about as ready as I can be. Ate a good later lunch and nothing since, so calories are pretty low.

Met a guy this afternoon, our local water master who handles water rights, I needed to get some new certificates. He had similar surgery and told me his recovery took almost a year, but he was pretty happy with the results. He pointed out that I am a bit bowlegged, and asked if I always have been. Had to think about it and decided no, its come on kind of gradually. He said he was the same, but the knee surgery fixed it, his legs are much straighter now.

Don't know if that will happen with me, but the surgeon pointed out that I cannot fully extend my legs and he said that will be fixed. We'll see.

Not sure when I will next be able to get online and post, will do what I can.
I hope you have some good books to read! All the best, Rob
Thanks Cate, I have a couple packed, and the rehab facility is less than a mile from my house, so my wife can renew the supply as needed. Maybe I'll dust off my little used Kindle.
Fingers crossed, one set for each knee.
Thanks Llama, I need it.

Last edited:
Generally they try to straighten your legs as much as they can. Sometimes that means extra soreness afterwards because it means your muscles/tendons have to adjust to their new positioning. Having the rehab facility so close to home sounds great!

Thanks @Llama and I am doing fine, got moved to rehab 2 days early. I can walk, but not very well, LOL. Just been eating institutional food, not too much, not real hungry. Had my first hard PT tonight, that is probably going to be some exercise. Hard for me to reach the computer from here, so my posting will be limited.
Generally they try to straighten your legs as much as they can. Sometimes that means extra soreness afterwards because it means your muscles/tendons have to adjust to their new positioning.
The physical therapist looked at and measured my legs tonight. I am at 10 degrees, both legs trying to flatten, and 95 and 110 pulling in. He said he would try, but wasn't sure he could get the knees to 0 degrees, but they should be better. He was more optimistic about the other direction. PT included 15 minutes of recumbent bike with hand things, I was surprised I could do it! My hands and arms did most of the work. Walked a couple of times, 50 feet without walker, and 800 with but holding it off the ground. I am surprised to be able to do that. Walked up and down a few steps too, with handrails on both sides I can do it. Hope for better to come. Trying to do it without oxycodone or similar painkillers, so far so good.
Good luck, Rob… with the surgery! Give us an update after.
Thanks Vic, always good to hear from you. Gave the update, so far so good.

Back