Alligatorob's Diary

Great news, Rob. I sent you an email, but you probably haven't seen it. Thanks for the update :)

It's kind of incredible what the human body is capable of so quickly after such a huge operation.

Second Rehab PT went well, the Therapist said I was already pretty much doing what he expected before release. Only exception is I can't walk as fast as they would like without support, but I can walk without any support. Still mostly using the walker for safety, legs a little shaky. They'll try and put a plan together tomorrow, he was pretty sure I could be out soon. Then transferred to outpatient PT, living home will be better for sure. I am happy, the original forecast was 3 weeks here...

Oh, and no need for opioid painkillers since the morning after, Tylenol seems to be working fine. Though another one of those morphine shots would feel good, LOL

Breakfast this morning was oatmeal, a little fruit, and some apple juice. Still not real hungry, just as well.
Great news, Rob. I sent you an email, but you probably haven't seen it. Thanks for the update :)
Thanks Cate, will look for your note. It does feel good to be recovering, even with a bit of pain yet. How are you?
It's kind of incredible what the human body is capable of so quickly after such a huge operation.
I am absolutely amazed, I fully expected to be bed/wheelchair ridden for weeks. Got my house wheelchair ready before surgery, sure glad that was just a waste of time, LOL

When I think about it, they sawed off my leg bones, 6 of them, 3 in each knee, drilled out the lower bone to put a pin in and then screwed replacement things into the bones. And replaced the knee caps. Hard to imagine they could do that without things being a lot worse.

I am glad I did both at the same time, sure would not want to do this all twice!

As the surgery goes it lasted a lot longer than the hernia surgery I had, but I feel better afterwards. That one had me down for a couple of weeks, except for manageable knee pain I feel fine. Makes being in Rehab harder...

Second Rehab PT went well, the Therapist said I was already pretty much doing what he expected before release. Only exception is I can't walk as fast as they would like without support, but I can walk without any support. Still mostly using the walker for safety, legs a little shaky. They'll try and put a plan together tomorrow, he was pretty sure I could be out soon. Then transferred to outpatient PT, living home will be better for sure. I am happy, the original forecast was 3 weeks here...
Wow! That's so great Rob.
I am so glad for you that the surgery went well and the recovery is going extra well!!
When I think about it, they sawed off my leg bones, 6 of them, 3 in each knee, drilled out the lower bone to put a pin in and then screwed replacement things into the bones. And replaced the knee caps. Hard to imagine they could do that without things being a lot worse.
That is absolutely incredible what they've figured out how to help our human bodies!

It is amazing what they can do now. You are amazing having them both done at the same time. I don't think I know of anyone else who has done that. I hope they keep you in for at least a week so that you don't go home & start overdoing things!
I'm good thanks, Rob :)

It was a good day, I am getting discharged from Rehab on Saturday! They have decided they can't do much more for me here, and that going to outpatient physical therapy will be better. The doctor prescribed 12 weeks of the outpatient therapy, and warned that I still have a long slow path ahead. At least it will be at home, with some mobility. Even the nicest of Rehab places are not close to home. They did do a pretty good analysis of my situation, how accessible my house is and the like. And I had to do a bunch of things like getting into and out of bed, climbing a few stairs, etc. I think I am ready.

Another institutional food day, not the greatest food, too much carb and fat, but not a lot of food. It will be over soon.
I'm glad you are in rehab: keeps you out of trouble for a while not being able to see the work waiting for you at home!
I do plan to take it easy and be careful at home. I don't want to endanger these things...
That is absolutely incredible what they've figured out how to help our human bodies!
Hey Liza, good to hear from you! And I agree, not so many years ago I would just have had to live with the old knees.
You are amazing having them both done at the same time. I don't think I know of anyone else who has done that.
I don't know why more people don't do it. Sure seems to me like having just one surgery and one recovery more than makes up for the extra pain. And I suspect doing the recovery on both legs at the same time is probably better, just a guess.

I do plan to take it easy and be careful at home. I don't want to endanger these things...
Thank you. You're doing amazingly well and it would be a criminal shame to ruin it.
I don't know why more people don't do it. Sure seems to me like having just one surgery and one recovery more than makes up for the extra pain.
Most people don't have nearly your general fitness and leg strength by the time they get their knees done so they aren't anywhere near as mobile as you are. Most people ARE in a wheelchair for a while after and do need the heavy painkillers. Plus there's an increased risk of deep vein thrombosis (probably due to that decreased mobility) which has been making double knee replacement surgery less common rather than more so over time.

It was a good day, I ate well, got physical therapy, and feel fine tonight. Getting out in the morning!!! I am ready. This Rehab place is a combined with a nursing home, and almost all of the others here are really nursing home patients, I am the only one with joint replacement. When I first got here the doctor said I had the shortest med list of any of the patients, now I know why. My only med is meloxicam, a mild anti-inflammatory. Doctor suggested that after the knees heal I try going off it. I might, but I do have other aches and pains.

Broke my no oxy streak last night. I think I over did the exercise and walking and needed it to sleep. Did 2 PTs today, but not so much walking, I think I'll be ok without tonight. Everyone here keeps encouraging me to take it whenever I need it, but I really do want to wait for the need.
Most people don't have nearly your general fitness and leg strength by the time they get their knees done so they aren't anywhere near as mobile as you are. Most people ARE in a wheelchair for a while after and do need the heavy painkillers. Plus there's an increased risk of deep vein thrombosis (probably due to that decreased mobility) which has been making double knee replacement surgery less common rather than more so over time.
I suppose so, when thinking about it I decided it was best to get it done now, while I am still able to be active, would be tempting to wait, I guess. I am sure that within the next 10 years the knees would have more seriously impacted my ability to get around. They really already did and looking back I was in denial. Ignoring the pain as best I could and not doing some things.... For example I did long walks and hikes, but the downhill was a killer and my knees barely worked for a few days after. Did my best to push though it, but in the end I did walk a lot less than I wanted to. In the gym I had more or less given up leg presses and squats, too painful. Anyway that phase is over now!
Just catching up Rob. I’m sure it will be nice to be home. Glad everything is progressing positively.
Thanks, good to hear from you! How have you been?
Last night away from home!
Yes it is, hurray!! You snuck this one in whilst I was typing.

Getting out in the morning!!! I am ready.
Awesome!
Everyone here keeps encouraging me to take it whenever I need it, but I really do want to wait for the need.
I would too. Seems wise to not overdo it on that.
For example I did long walks and hikes, but the downhill was a killer and my knees barely worked for a few days after. Did my best to push though it, but in the end I did walk a lot less than I wanted to. In the gym I had more or less given up leg presses and squats, too painful. Anyway that phase is over now!
This will be exciting to have new knees that will allow you to do so much more pain free. so great!

Today was a good day, I got released. After starting out really well from surgery, release both from Hospital and Rehab well ahead of schedule, now I feel a bit plateaued, not really any better today than a couple of days ago. I know its supposed to be a long slow process, guess I can't get around that. Did some PT on my own today, the only think I can't do at all is the recumbent bike. Riding that for 15 minutes (slowly) really felt like it loosened up my knee. On the way home stopped by the gym to see if it would be possible to do some bike riding there... no way, too soon. I need the much easier version. The place I start PT on Monday should have one.

Started trying to record my food again, I have a bit more control over it and its now easier to use my computer. Did not eat a lot of calories today, I wasn't real hungry and am not burning many...

Pain is about the same, will try to make it tonight with out oxy, but will take it if I need it. Looked at my prescriptions and I was given 86 oxycodone after leaving hospital, so far only taken one. Seems strange I would have so many, maybe I can have a party or sell them, LOL!
Awesome!

I would too. Seems wise to not overdo it on that.

This will be exciting to have new knees that will allow you to do so much more pain free. so great!
Thanks Liza, and I am looking forward to the new knees. Pain free would be one objective, I also want straighter legs and more flexion, that will take work but I think I can at least improve.

Proof I am at home, looking a bit straggly, but standing in my own home!
IMG_3225.jpg
Printable Nutrition Report for Alligatorob.jpg

I have an awful internet connection & only your face appeared & then it all went & won't open :svengo:
You'll start to feel better gradually, Rob. Our bodies just don't bounce back like they used to, but you have a head start on so many people your age. Take care xo

Probably means you're a little taller again, too
LOL! That's what the physical therapist said first time I stood up. He told me to duck when going out the door, funny guy. Being funny helps. The doctor said that if I can stand up better I might gain a half inch in measured height, that would be nice, but I would want to stand straighter even if it means losing height.

Apparently there is surgery now to "enhance" your height. They go in and break your legs both above and below the knee caps and extensions, you can get up to 6 inches taller. Sounds like an awful idea to me, worse than the regular cosmetic surgery, which I don't usually approve of either.

I asked my surgeon about it, just to see what he would say. He said it is not something he would ever do, or suggest to anyone, good answer. He told me it was something that had to be done mid leg, wouldn't work at the knees. The muscles and ligaments have to stretch a lot to make up for the extra length. I suspect it requires a long recovery/physical therapy process. For those interested:

https://www.limbplastx.com

Last edited:
Apparently there is surgery now to "enhance" your height. They go in and break your legs both above and below the knee caps and extensions, you can get up to 6 inches taller. Sounds like an awful idea to me, worse than the regular cosmetic surgery, which I don't usually approve of either.
I think I've seen a dude (on tv) who had that done and he was unable to put any weight on his legs for A YEAR. Can you imagine not even being able to start recovery/rebuilding muscle for the first 12 months post-OP?

& now I can see your legs. They do look much straighter. How are you feeling today, Rob?

Back