Alligatorob's Diary

If your knees are already quite painful you could well be doing better than before - painwise - as soon as a week post surgery.

I suppose we will always struggle. If we can just muddle along trying to do better I think that's all we can do...
I think so. Overall I know my diet is much healthier than most of the people I know, but losing 10 kilos would make me feel much healthier & more comfortable in my skin & able to wear the clothes I like with confidence. It's so hard to knuckle down once again & do it though. I don't seem to be able to apply myself as you can.
I'm on the waiting list to have my right foot operated on & I think I'll be in a moon boot for about 6 weeks. I had better lose that 10 kg before then! There's a wait list of 2 years apparently.

Today was a good day, set a record 3 1/2 hours in the gym, but the last 50 minutes was yoga, more stretching than exercise. Also got the lawn mowed and other yardwork done. It felt good.
Everyone I have met who got the knee surgery said what your doctor said, that it is a few weeks of intense discomfort but then is so wonderful afterward.
Thanks Marsia, I hope that ends up being the case. Its what most people here are saying, and I seem to have one of the best surgeons in Utah.
If your knees are already quite painful you could well be doing better than before - painwise - as soon as a week post surgery.
That would be great! But I could live with a couple of weeks, but one sounds better. Have you worked with people after knee replacements?
I know my diet is much healthier than most of the people I know, but losing 10 kilos would make me feel much healthier & more comfortable in my skin & able to wear the clothes I like with confidence. It's so hard to knuckle down once again & do it though. I don't seem to be able to apply myself as you can.
10 kg is not a terrible place to be, however feeling happier and healthier is more important.

I am not sure I am better at applying myself than you. I am still 10 to 15 lbs above where I want to be and that weight doesn't seem to be going...
Printable Nutrition Report for Alligatorob.jpg

Have you worked with people after knee replacements?
Hundreds of them. They're all different but the basics stay the same:
- Get your strength/flexibility/stability/balance up before surgery if possible.
- Move regularly after surgery to keep your muscles active and the joint capsule flexible but avoid overload which would lead to more heat and swelling. Learn to use those crutches properly and use them to take some of the load off your surgically broken (ok, sawed-off) bones.
- Focus on flexibility first. It's ok that your strength takes a while to come back, that you can't walk as far as you're used to, and that uneven surfaces are hard at first. If you can get your painfree range of motion back the rest will follow. Artificial knees are purely hinges while a natural knee also allows for a bit of rotation and full flexion isn't quite as much as in a natural knee either but with the modern models you probably won't notice unless you're used to kneeling a lot.

It was a good day, I ate well and feel good tonight. Only exercise was a lot of gardening. Planted tomatoes, 4 kinds of peppers, eggplant, kale, zucchini, peas and pole beans. Now fingers crossed that our freezes have past. Officially the first safe date is May 20, but in recent years it gets earlier.
Hundreds of them. They're all different but the basics stay the same:
- Get your strength/flexibility/stability/balance up before surgery if possible.
- Move regularly after surgery to keep your muscles active and the joint capsule flexible but avoid overload which would lead to more heat and swelling. Learn to use those crutches properly and use them to take some of the load off your surgically broken (ok, sawed-off) bones.
- Focus on flexibility first. It's ok that your strength takes a while to come back, that you can't walk as far as you're used to, and that uneven surfaces are hard at first. If you can get your painfree range of motion back the rest will follow. Artificial knees are purely hinges while a natural knee also allows for a bit of rotation and full flexion isn't quite as much as in a natural knee either but with the modern models you probably won't notice unless you're used to kneeling a lot.
Thanks Lama, that is great advice!

A question my trainer asked was how soon after surgery could I go back to the gym. What are your thoughts? I assume I could do upper body pretty quickly, but legs I am not too sure about.

I am doing a lot of leg exercises, but have eased off a bit due to the pain. Dr told me that anything that did not hurt too much was good, he said my knees were already trashed, no risk there.

I am doing a lot of leg exercises, but have eased off a bit due to the pain. Dr told me that anything that did not hurt too much was good, he said my knees were already trashed, no risk there.
Agreed. The joints themselves aren't the main concern anymore if you're switching them out soon (although we're probably looking at one leg at a time, 4-6 months apart?) but you want to avoid aggravating them too much because extra inflammation could potentially make the discomfort so bad you wouldn't be able to be active at all, which in turn would reduce your all-important strength and mobility. Surgery will make the joint itself more mobile but if the joint capsule and the muscles are super tight from having been restricted for a long time it's still often hard, especially with a lot of inflammation.

The ides of May! A good day for me, I ate well and feel good tonight. Spent the day doing yardwork, no gym exercise but I think I got a bit.
I am just getting started, yesterday was my first day.

I weighed in at 320 lbs, I am thinking my ideal weight is 160, so I have about 160 lbs to lose. I know that is a real long term goal, my immediate goal is to do well today.

I am a 66 year old man who has been overweight all my life. I have lost weight at times, but could never keep it off. Any advice or comments would be welcome.
That was 3 years ago, and its been a really good run. I really appreciate all of the good advice and support this place has provided. I could not have lost weight without y'all. Guess I am a bit above that 160 goal I set, but close enough, its been a success! Thanks to all!
Agreed. The joints themselves aren't the main concern anymore if you're switching them out soon (although we're probably looking at one leg at a time, 4-6 months apart?) but you want to avoid aggravating them too much because extra inflammation could potentially make the discomfort so bad you wouldn't be able to be active at all, which in turn would reduce your all-important strength and mobility. Surgery will make the joint itself more mobile but if the joint capsule and the muscles are super tight from having been restricted for a long time it's still often hard, especially with a lot of inflammation.
@Llama you have been one of the folks here I most appreciate, and your help keeps coming. If you go back to page 1 of this diary other than me Llama was first to post, and if you read up the most recent as well. @Cate you are also one who has been a great help from the beginning. I am tempted to call out a lot more folks, and don't mean to exclude anyone @overlandflyer is another who provided me some important early support, the list is really quite long. @Emilyrose and @Marsia are two more folks who have long been here for me. Need to stop and apologize to those left out.

Llama, I plan to have both knees done at the same time, I know that will be harder, but its only one surgery and one recovery that way. I know others who have had both done and they recommended it. At first the doctor said no, but then he closely examined my legs and my medical history and decided it would be ok. He told me that he thought I was in excellent health and physical condition, of course he had to add "for a 69 year old man", but it still felt good. One advantage to getting both done is they keep you longer in the rehab facility, a week to 10 days, with physical therapy twice a day. Can't get out until I can walk on my own. With a cane or walker of course.

Now I should go outside and try to see the lunar eclipse through the clouds, not sure I will be able to...

Funny, you'd think on my 3rd anniversary that not bingeing would be easier...

But it's not, craving right now and kind of have thoughts of a celebratory binge bouncing in my head... I think I will be able to resist tonight... Some things never change.

Too cloudy, no eclipse this time around.

You're beating the odds every day you stay below 200 pounds: great work! You have added a lot to this forum. We wouldn't be anywhere without mutual support and I'm glad you're here.
He told me that he thought I was in excellent health and physical condition, of course he had to add "for a 69 year old man", but it still felt good.
Congratulations! That must be the best reward for all your hard work.
One advantage to getting both done is they keep you longer in the rehab facility, a week to 10 days, with physical therapy twice a day. Can't get out until I can walk on my own. With a cane or walker of course.
I'd say forearm crutches: more supportive than a cane and more versatile than a walker. Not a fan of underarm crutches because of the risk for shoulder and nerve injury. (Which is confusing because the German word for forearm crutch is Unterarmstützkrücke. Yes, it really is. No, nobody uses it unless they're writing something very official because underarm crutches simply don't exist here so you don't get confused.) Doing two legs at a time is definitely harder for the first few weeks but it also means you're not overloading one leg while the other heals, twice, and you only need to go under once. I say go for it if your doctor thinks you can do it.

Not my best day, but not too bad. I ate a lot, but no real binge, and probably not more calories than I burned.
Congratulations! That must be the best reward for all your hard work.
Thanks Llama, and though not completely true I'll take it! I think being in good physical condition is from my exercise and dieting.

Good Heath however is a much luck as anything. I have never had high blood pressure, diabetes or any of the things you get with weight, just luck on that.
Unterarmstützkrücke
I'll ask for them! One of your German words that is pretty easy to translate. Actually I am hoping not to need crutches or the like. I have a good friend, same age as me, who did the double replacement. He said he was able to walk out of the hospital with just a cane.

Attachments

• Printable Nutrition Report for Alligatorob.jpg
    285.2 KB · Views: 1
hey Rob... been a while since i've looked through any pages here, but glad i noticed your post about the surgery. i have both knees and one hip replacement. three surgeries, but living alone i never really considered both knees at once. recovery from the hip was easy, but therapy following knees was much tougher. i actually just went for the 1st... learning what i needed to go through, i pretty much took care of the 2nd at home. glad i went to the therapist that first time, though. what i started with before we met ... which i thought was extreme ... wasn't even close to the stretching i did at the clinic.

something that surprised me... as much as you'd think bending your knee as much as possible is important... straightening your leg to 180° through stretching is even more critical if you want to eventually walk correctly again. i'm sure it will be different for you with both knees recovering, but as i recall, my hospital stay was 3 days and on that third day, i was pretty much walking around the room (slowly) unassisted. i used a regular cane for a while, but i don't recall using the walker (my hip was my first and that one you do need a walker for a while). again, though... i had one good leg to stand on. good luck.

I hope you do get through without crutches: they're hard on the hands and shoulders even under ideal circumstances. Speaking of which: how's you hand doing?

Today was a good day, though I may be eating too much fruit. Trying to get last year's peaches etc eaten before this year's season begins. Calories seem ok, and I feel fine. Got in some exercise today, a good day.
Happy 3rd Anniversary, my friend. The forum is a better place for having you in it!
Thanks Cate, I would like to think so. As I am sure you know it probably won't be here at all without you!
hey Rob... been a while since i've looked through any pages here, but glad i noticed your post about the surgery. i have both knees and one hip replacement. three surgeries, but living alone i never really considered both knees at once. recovery from the hip was easy, but therapy following knees was much tougher. i actually just went for the 1st... learning what i needed to go through, i pretty much took care of the 2nd at home. glad i went to the therapist that first time, though. what i started with before we met ... which i thought was extreme ... wasn't even close to the stretching i did at the clinic.

something that surprised me... as much as you'd think bending your knee as much as possible is important... straightening your leg to 180° through stretching is even more critical if you want to eventually walk correctly again. i'm sure it will be different for you with both knees recovering, but as i recall, my hospital stay was 3 days and on that third day, i was pretty much walking around the room (slowly) unassisted. i used a regular cane for a while, but i don't recall using the walker (my hip was my first and that one you do need a walker for a while). again, though... i had one good leg to stand on. good luck.
Thanks Flyer, it really helps to hear from people who have been through it. Everyone I have talked with who has had the surgery says something similar about straightening the legs. The Doctor pointed out to me that now I cannot extend my leg 180 and its effecting how I walk. He said what you did it will be painful but I will have to do the therapy starting pretty much on day one.
how's you hand doing?
You have a good memory, it is nice you remembered.

Been about 6 months and my hand is still slowly getting better, a long slow process. However it hurts a lot less than it did, and I can do more with it than before, so I guess that's good. The Doctor says it could take up to a year to fully recover. I am not sure I will ever get 100% of the original range of motion back, but pretty close. Trading a little flexibility for no pain will be worth it.

I am not sure if I will get the left hand done, it has the same arthritic pain but I don't use it as much. And it has been a longer and more difficult recovery than I expected. Knees first I guess. I seem to be become the bionic man... I do think it is better to get these things done now, more years to enjoy the improvements and recovering from surgery won't get any easier.

Today was a good day, though I may be eating too much fruit. Trying to get last year's peaches etc eaten before this year's season begins. Calories seem ok, and I feel fine. Got in some exercise today, a good day.

Thanks Cate, I would like to think so. As I am sure you know it probably won't be here at all without you!

Thanks Flyer, it really helps to hear from people who have been through it. Everyone I have talked with who has had the surgery says something similar about straightening the legs. The Doctor pointed out to me that now I cannot extend my leg 180 and its effecting how I walk. He said what you did it will be painful but I will have to do the therapy starting pretty much on day one.

You have a good memory, it is nice you remembered.

Been about 6 months and my hand is still slowly getting better, a long slow process. However it hurts a lot less than it did, and I can do more with it than before, so I guess that's good. The Doctor says it could take up to a year to fully recover. I am not sure I will ever get 100% of the original range of motion back, but pretty close. Trading a little flexibility for no pain will be worth it.

I am not sure if I will get the left hand done, it has the same arthritic pain but I don't use it as much. And it has been a longer and more difficult recovery than I expected. Knees first I guess. I seem to be become the bionic man... I do think it is better to get these things done now, more years to enjoy the improvements and recovering from surgery won't get any easier.
View attachment 52107
the way you've approached this alligatorob is really impressive! such attention to detail...and the results speak for themselves. almost halved your weight to now be a very healthy weight (y) i'm going to spend sometime having a good trawl through this thread, will definitely learn something from it, thanks.

It was a good day, ate well, exercised, and I feel good tonight.
the way you've approached this alligatorob is really impressive! such attention to detail...and the results speak for themselves. almost halved your weight to now be a very healthy weight (y) i'm going to spend sometime having a good trawl through this thread, will definitely learn something from it, thanks.
Thanks for the nice words Tyke, it has been a long and imperfect journey, but can't complain about where I am now.
Definitely.
Thanks Llama, good to have reinforcement of my decision.

Attachments

267.3 KB · Views: 0
Today was a good day 3 hours and 10 minutes in the gym, felt good and I ate well. And tonight I feel fine.

@Llama I have a question you may know an answer to. My trainer said that I need to stop losing weight, she said that you should never be in a calorie deficit for more than 2 months or you risk bringing your metabolism down. I have been in one for 3+ months now, obviously not a huge deficit, but I have lost about 18 lbs since January. My trainer is good, but she is very focused on building muscles, and while I don't mind bigger muscles I am happy with just being fitter. I would like to lose another 5 to 10 lbs before changing my diet. At current rates that will take a couple of months. Is this something you know about? Or anyone else reading this, advice and second opinions are always welcome.

I personally think (no expert) you probably did some damage to your metabolism during that first long push on super low calories. No idea if you could be making it worse now but given how much you struggled with maintenance it may make sense to get there as slowly as possible, and to have a kind of trial run first where you still have the motivation of going down further later.

Not a bad day, but I ate more calories than normal, and too much bread and peanut butter. No binge though. I also spent 3 1/2 hours at the gym and am pretty sure I was still in a calorie deficit, just less than some days.
I personally think (no expert) you probably did some damage to your metabolism during that first long push on super low calories. No idea if you could be making it worse now but given how much you struggled with maintenance it may make sense to get there as slowly as possible, and to have a kind of trial run first where you still have the motivation of going down further later.
Thanks Llama, after typing the question to you I realized there is no reason to expect a physical therapist to be an expert, but I posted the question anyway. You are a smart lady and have spent a lot of time and effort thinking about things. I am sure you are right about the damage I did in that long low calorie period. As far as a trial run I have struggled with trying to eat more without triggering binges, but I know I have to figure it out... Always appreciate your insights!

Attachments

256.4 KB · Views: 1
Back