5x5 Deadlifts!

I am also going to start a program for my pull-ups. Being tall with long arms really makes them hard. There is a program I was reading about where you do a 10x1 set with as many breaks as you need in between. The next level up is 10x2 then 10x3, 10x4 and finally 10x5. It doesn't seem hard, but I'm sure it will be. High reward though.

That looks like something I used to do years ago. Pick a number and keep going until you get to it. So it could be 50 as 12, 10, 7 etc. until you have reached 50. It was great, partly because I was training with someone who like body weight work so made himself good at it and I always have been.

Wife came down with fairly nasty walking pneumonia last week, and son got a bit of congestion as well. Barely had time to do anything besides playing Dad and Mom. Thankfully, they're getting better. Now, I just have to hope that I didn't pick up any germs on the way.

Not good when the only lifting you are doing is picking up germs.
Good to see they are getting better. Hope you can be back to training again.

Not good when the only lifting you are doing is picking up germs.
Good to see they are getting better. Hope you can be back to training again.

I tried to sit down and write up a good training schedule last week and I didn't even have time to finish that. I think I'm going to start dead lifting again. Nothing heavy, but perhaps on the night when I do my 10x1 pull-ups, I will do a couple sets of deads and that will be it for the night. When I bought my equipment to work out at home, I didn't factor in that life was going to keep happening in the same house while I'm lifting haha.

Maybe superset the deads and pull ups. If you put the pull ups first you will have to drop the intensity of deadlifts to allow for the fatigue from the pull ups. This is just one way of doing the exercise you enjoy at a safe level.

Maybe superset the deads and pull ups. If you put the pull ups first you will have to drop the intensity of deadlifts to allow for the fatigue from the pull ups. This is just one way of doing the exercise you enjoy at a safe level.

That's actually what I ended up doing last night.

So, my regime from now on is going to have to be short and sweet. Take last night for example..

Wide Grip Pulls/Dead Lifts - 10x1/140x3x10
Hammer Curls - 62x4x8

That's it, but I'll end up doing back Thursday, so I'll get in Rows and High Pulls then. Since I'm not going to be killing myself each session, I'll be able to hit groups twice a week.

Mon - Back/Bi's
Tues - Chest/Tri's
Wed - Rest
Thurs - Back/Legs
Fri - Chest/Legs
Sat - Rest
Sun - Rest

Legs two days in a row will consist of something like Regular Squats on Thursday and Front Squats on Friday, and I'll have the next two days to recover.

I also bought a cable machine rope adapter for triceps extensions and rigged it up with some heavy chain I can run through the holes in my plates so I can do hammer curls and triceps extensions. It weights 7 lbs too, which explains why my hammer curls last night were 62 lbs. I'll have to take a picture of it.

Chest got cut short last night, but had I done weighted dips, I could have just stuck with the three sets I had.

Flat Bench - 155x4x6
Neck Press - 135x4x8
Dips - BWx3x6

Next time I do chest, I'll do weighted dips which will make that an ok chest day.

Weighted dips good. It makes you look like you are wearing a boastful codpiece when they get heavy but other than that and wondering if you can get started and down from the dip station without castrating yourself there's not a negative thing about the experience.
I would quite like to get to the point of doing weighted dips on the suspension trainer. That will take a while.

My only concern with weighted dips is doing them at the end of my set. I would need to be slightly fresh to get out some good ones.

I have done these in two different ways, as a core movement or a finisher.
When it has been a core movement I have gone for the weight belt approach every time, it hold more weight than vest get sold with and is somewhere kind of comfortable.
When doing them as a finisher I have sometimes used a weight belt or held a dumbbell with my feet, the advantage to the latter is you can dip down, fail and put the bell down to continue going.

Well, see I'm kind of messed up in the head, so I was planning on hanging a chain around my neck with a plate on it. On top of the added weight, having it around my neck will pull me a bit more frontwards placing the lift more on my chest than arms.

Seen it done a number of times. As long as you are in control it's safe.
I'm quite leg heavy so have considered it, but it never fully appealed.

Funny you should say that. I had my son in his swing with me while I was lifting tonight. He was quite amused at my grunting and sweating.

Wide Grip Pull-up/Dead Lift - 10x1/140x3x10
High Pull - 85x4x8
Barbell Curl - 85x4x6
Front Squat - 85x4x8
Overhand Barbell Curl - 45x4x8

The last two weeks coming back to light dead lifting, I have felt that tightness in my stomach again. I haven't felt that in a long time. It's good to know my stomach appreciates my form. I missed legs last week. Mainly because the wife was still getting over her pneumonia, so I was needed a bit more. I'll hit them this week. I need to up my pull-ups next week to 10x2 as well. Perhaps lower the reps of deads and up the weight a bit too.

Yesterday was not so much "Superset Saturday", but I'll take it.

Flat Bench - 165x5x5
Weighted Dips - 25x3x3
Deadlift/Dips - 165x5x5/BWx3x5
Hammer Curl - 70x3x5

Deads still feeling good. Woke up with a sore stomach today, which is good. I just have to fight the urge to start going eal heavy. I need to do it the way I did starting out: +5lbs every 1-2 weeks.

Back