5x5 Deadlifts!

That's interesting....you feeling deads in the abs. Do you focus on ab contraction while deadlifting? Hope your wife has a speedy recovery with the pneumonia ...that can be rough stuff

I tend to feel a lot of stuff in the core. Tend to engage it as much as I can, part of my functional fitness obsession.
Being taller you will have to do this all the more. I know goldfish uses the belt to force core against which helps a lot. I don't belt up so rely heavily on strong core and stupidity.

I also focus heavily on ab contraction while dead lifting. Being tall, it's very easy to be lazy and shift weight to your lower back when doing deads, which I think I started doing before I took my break from them earlier this year. I'm lifting lighter now until I can re-nail my form into my brain.

I took leave of my senses last year by doing them with fat gripz and am back to doing it again. Really important to have that form nailed, I was making a right mess of them.

Legs, arms and shoulders(sort of)..

Squat - 135x3x6 - 175x5x5
Front Squat - 135x5x5
Barbell 1/2 Curl - 95x5x5
Barbell Curl - 75x3x6
Military Press 75x4x8
Behind Head Shoulder Press - 55x3x6

This workout spanned over about a hour and a half, because I was putting laundry away, putting the kids to sleep, washing bottles and getting my stuff out for work between sets. It was quite a productive(and sweaty) hour and a half.

Legs, arms and shoulders(sort of)..

Squat - 135x3x6 - 175x5x5
Front Squat - 135x5x5
Barbell 1/2 Curl - 95x5x5
Barbell Curl - 75x3x6
Military Press 75x4x8
Behind Head Shoulder Press - 55x3x6

This workout spanned over about a hour and a half, because I was putting laundry away, putting the kids to sleep, washing bottles and getting my stuff out for work between sets. It was quite a productive(and sweaty) hour and a half.

Nice! Way to stay in the game even with all the "real life" things going on

Deadlifts and Dips!....and curls.

Supersets:

Dead/Dip
155x3x6/BWx3x6
185x3x5/BW+15x3x5
205x3x3/BW+25x3x3
225x3/BW+35x3
Curls - 65x3x12
Close Grip Curls - 45x3x12

Tonight made me feel better than I have in a while lifting. 225 is nothing to write home about, but I haven't pulled that much in over six months, and the 225's pulled great. I'm glad I took the time off from deads. Concentrating on my form is making my pulls 10x better. Before, I was so concentrated on getting back to a "good" weight after injuring my back that I wasn't focused on not re-injuring myself. That couple months away is what I needed. Also, building up is a necessity now. I can't just do one light set then go right into heavy. I'm going to have to build up over four sets or so. If I stick with what I did tonignt, I'm hoping to see some good gains this summer.

Keep it up!
You ever do "rack pulls". If you ever wanted to jump into heavy-heavy and you fear the bar below the knee sticking point...might help

I've done rack pulls in the past, but the form has never felt right with me for some reason. It feels more natural to me just to dead lift it straight off the floor, as long as I'm putting 100% of my concentration into my form. I feel like doing rack pulls actually messes with my dead lift form sometimes. It may sound weird, but it's a mental thing I guess.

Ya it does sound a bit off...BUT it's your strength and ability to perform the dead. Me thinks you know what works for you better than me.

Need to back track a couple days. Lifted on Saturday, but haven't had a chance to update..

Supersets:
Deadlift/Dip
160x3x6/BW+5x3x6
190x3x5/BW+15x3x5
210x3x3/BW+30x3x3
230x3/BW+40x3
Hammer Curl
55x3x12
Barbell Curl
45x3x12

I guess this is my new "thing" now. I'll have to see how I can incorporate a similar session with squats and wide grips finishing with a military press or something.

P.S. - I hope the dads around had a good Father's Day. We decided to skip the norm of waiting 4 hours in a packed steak house and eating in only 30 minutes. Instead, we packed up our own food, went to the park, fed the ducks, sat under a shady tree and played some baseball with my girls while my little man napped in the shade. It was just about as good as a day could get.

Last edited:
I hate the marketing around parents days etc. To my mind my son being happy makes any day a fathers day. Like you said it's about the time with them not anything pressured.
Best example I remember wasn't a fathers day but a birthday. My son was 2 and a half and I was working crazy hours so my wife brought him in for my lunch times, which there were often 2 of due to length of work days. The day was just another work day and I got out for lunch close to time, walked around to meet them. When I turned the corner and saw them my son wasn't looking forward, as he turned and saw me he beamed wide called 'Daddy' and ran toward me. I don't have a clue what else I got that day, that present trumped the lot.
Children are hard work but they make it worth doing so often.

Is Father's Day 3 months away, or are you three months in the past??

P.M. me for World Cup results. You can make a killing betting when it starts in three months.

Personally I would happily make a killing of the world cup fans aka brainless drunks wandering around.

Back