Cate's Diary

all viruses mutate but mutation isn't common. it literally takes billions of cell reproductions before a mutation occurs.
Nah, mutations happen all the time. It´s just that most of them are inconsequential (for us). Some are lethal (or "lethal", in the case of a virus). And a very few make us (or them) noticeably more competitive. Those are the ones that get named.

I will never understand vaccine complacency & I really don't want to get into any further discussions about it. Some things you just can't comprehend. We will now have to get used to doing what everyone else in the world has had to do all along. Our economy was buzzing along nicely as Tasmanians were travelling around the state, spending their money eating out, listening to live music etc instead of travelling overseas or heading north in winter as they often do. Our prime minister who I absolutely detest has been carrying on(as he does) & putting lots of pressure on the states to reopen borders & our state premier who is in the same party (Liberals, by name but not by nature) has succumbed to that pressure, reopened our borders on the 15th & now we are back to wearing masks, etc & Omicron is here instantly & will most likely run rampant in our small, population. We enjoyed our respite & now with only a few days until Christmas we are mostly laying low. Christmas bookings have been cancelled, accommodation cancelled, folk festivals cancelled. Most people are down about it all & I think some businesses will go to the wall.
Covid does suck!
Back to my diary-
I woke up feeling lighter & was very happy to see another loss. That's 4.5 kg in one month, minus one day. I am very happy about that. I think I will weigh myself on Friday & then again on Boxing Day. I want to try not to worry about what I eat & drink for Christmas, but am already finding that idea a little challenging. I will not eat any rubbish chocolates that's for sure.
The funeral is at 10 am on Friday, so we can get in & out of the city & get home before R & H arrive & before the crazy last-minute Christmas shoppers.
I did all of my food shopping yesterday & am getting a supermarket delivery tomorrow. I bought a carton of craft beers for "the boys", have done a click & collect shop for some Tasmanian wine, which we'll pick up on Friday morning & I'll give the kids money. The last 2 times I have given them actual presents they looked at them weirdly, so I am not going to bother. As a kid, I loved getting money because I never had any otherwise. Our sons are getting a bottle of Scotch whisky each from our share of G's Dad's very old whisky collection.
G & I don't worry much about giving one another presents. I bought a gorgeous (inexpensive) elephant plant stand at a collectibles store a month ago & told him he could give it to me for Christmas. He can buy a new golf bag & buggy in the new year when we're feeling a bit more financial. Right now way too much money is going out than is coming in. I'll start selling some stuff in the new year.

I don’t mind it, but it would keep me awake. Diet Coke is horrible, in my opinion. Diet tonic is my favourite.

I wish other diet drinks were more commonly available here! I tried a diet tonic at a gin festival once that was just delightful but ordering drinks online is just not affordable delivery-wise. I much prefer diet Pepsi to diet Coke but any port in a storm.

I will never understand vaccine complacency & I really don't want to get into any further discussions about it. Some things you just can't comprehend. We will now have to get used to doing what everyone else in the world has had to do all along. Our economy was buzzing along nicely as Tasmanians were travelling around the state, spending their money eating out, listening to live music etc instead of travelling overseas or heading north in winter as they often do. Our prime minister who I absolutely detest has been carrying on(as he does) & putting lots of pressure on the states to reopen borders & our state premier who is in the same party (Liberals, by name but not by nature) has succumbed to that pressure, reopened our borders on the 15th & now we are back to wearing masks, etc & Omicron is here instantly & will most likely run rampant in our small, population. We enjoyed our respite & now with only a few days until Christmas we are mostly laying low. Christmas bookings have been cancelled, accommodation cancelled, folk festivals cancelled. Most people are down about it all & I think some businesses will go to the wall.
Covid does suck!
Back to my diary-
I woke up feeling lighter & was very happy to see another loss. That's 4.5 kg in one month, minus one day. I am very happy about that. I think I will weigh myself on Friday & then again on Boxing Day. I want to try not to worry about what I eat & drink for Christmas, but am already finding that idea a little challenging. I will not eat any rubbish chocolates that's for sure.
The funeral is at 10 am on Friday, so we can get in & out of the city & get home before R & H arrive & before the crazy last-minute Christmas shoppers.
I did all of my food shopping yesterday & am getting a supermarket delivery tomorrow. I bought a carton of craft beers for "the boys", have done a click & collect shop for some Tasmanian wine, which we'll pick up on Friday morning & I'll give the kids money. The last 2 times I have given them actual presents they looked at them weirdly, so I am not going to bother. As a kid, I loved getting money because I never had any otherwise. Our sons are getting a bottle of Scotch whisky each from our share of G's Dad's very old whisky collection.
G & I don't worry much about giving one another presents. I bought a gorgeous (inexpensive) elephant plant stand at a collectibles store a month ago & told him he could give it to me for Christmas. He can buy a new golf bag & buggy in the new year when we're feeling a bit more financial. Right now way too much money is going out than is coming in. I'll start selling some stuff in the new year.

Omicron has certainly affected everyone. Over here things aren't shut down yet but all retailers and such are at 50% capacity. My mum found it challenging Christmas shopping this time around, mostly because it feels like there is a shortage of goods with some retailers due to COVID. Some of my older friends are hesitant getting out of the house, understandably so, including the parents.

I'm so happy for your 4.5kg loss- that is HUGE!!! Congrats!

Hope you enjoy the holidays despite the COVID craziness.

Re: Diet coke, I cannot get used to the taste of aspartame, I go with Coke Zero or Pepsi Max.

Hi, Lama. I know that artificial sweeteners are bad for you, but I feel that diet soft drinks really make it easier for me to break the wine o'clock habit. Luckily I can get them delivered with my groceries from the supermarket. You have other yummy things that aren't readily available here.
I have been feeling nervous lately about going into the community. I have been more anxious than I care to admit. I think I just did. The forum, which is usually my therapy has been the opposite for a while now & that hasn't helped. These phases come & go & it will settle down again, but I feel I don't have the outlet I once did. I don't have much to say today.
@misty22 - you just posted, while I was musing about what to say. I understand your parents' hesitancy. We haven't had our booster shots yet (15th Jan) as we had Astra Zenica shots, which had to be 6 months apart. Then they said you had to wait 6 months, then they said it could be 5, but they haven't provided enough shots. It's worrisome.
I'm really happy with my 4.5 kg loss. I'll take Christmas day off & then get straight back into it Boxing Day. I'll weigh just to know what a difference one day can make. I won't pig out or anything but will eat more than 1200 cals & will drink some bubbly in the evening. I hope you enjoy the holidays too, hon :grouphug:

We haven't had our booster shots yet (15th Jan) as we had Astra Zenica shots, which had to be 6 months apart. Then they said you had to wait 6 months, then they said it could be 5, but they haven't provided enough shots. It's worrisome.
I had AZ for my first 2 shots as well, 12 weeks apart (which was the max here) and right now they recommend getting your booster after 4-6 months, with another vaccine, because apparently AZ alone won't cut it for as long as the others. I dunno, but I'm glad we have plenty of vaccines to go around by now no matter how much people whined about the government having invested too much money into it last year.

We’re obviously short on them. We had to wait 6 months between doses, then they said 6 months for a Pfizer booster, then changed that back to 5, but they’re just not there to administer. 🤞🤞We’ll need some luck I think. I wish we could stay home on Christmas Day. There will be unvaccinated kids I think.

I think kids are still less likely to get infected or infect others. My youngest nephew is the only one in the family who hasn't got his shots yet, thankfully.

I’m hoping everyone is vaccinated, LaMa. I haven’t met the 2 littlies yet so won’t get too close anyway as Mum & Dad are not touchy feely & I wouldn’t want to hug them. They are coming after lunch at the same time we plan to leave.

On our way into town for our friend’s funeral. Listening to music & feeling good xo
Homesick, by The Marcus King band 😊
Lots of Low Cut Connie 🎶💕

On our way home now. The funeral went on & on. The director is one that I thought we would use in the future, but I just told G that he must be told not to waffle on. G is too polite so I’ll tell our older son who is friends with his brother.
I can’t breathe in cloth masks for any length of time & had to go outside. I bought some surgical masks this morning & found that much better. The eulogy was way too long & really boring. The whole thing didn’t feel personal. I want ours to be fun.
OK- now to head home. G has gone to buy eggs & olives.

:grouphug:

Back