Thoughts on men wearing spandex / lycra running tights

Spoke to my running mate.....a very light compression will do and it aids in generating and maintaining more heat at the abs area. More heat - more sweat - finally more fats are burnt at that area. He has no scientific prove to it but he learnt from reading fitness magazines.

LOL....what he read in the magazine, that section might have had small print above the article that read "advertisement" ;)

More heat generated or applied to an area of the body will not prompt the body to select the fat-cells in that region for "combustion" any sooner then the fat on our butts, chins or anywhere else for that matter. It really makes no sense at all and most "educated" fitness people would violently scoff at such a concept. That said: if it works for you, DO IT. There's more about the body we don't understand then we do...so while our current research, clinical trials and today's conclusive scientific evidence suggest it's absurd, I always fall back on "do what works for you".

By the way, what is a spin instructor and what kind of activity is a spin? Never heard of it before.

In the gym they have stationary bikes...you pedal them like a bike. They set 'em up in a room and have one bike up on a platform that the instructor pedals. Add some music, some routines, maybe some lighting and you've got yourself an "indoor cycling" class. If the class is led by a certified spin-instructor and the gym is certified by the Spinning Organization, then they can call it a Spin Class and you're "spinning".

I took a 9-hour course to become certified. It means almost NOTHING. What I know and write is entirely just information I picked-up along my whole fitness/weight-loss effort that started about 2 years ago. I just like learning about stuff, passing it along and helping others.

As for the ab belt....whatever works, whatever inspires you, do it!

Last week I really got a close up look at my running mate in spandex. He was in his usual black running compression top and tights. It started to rain heavily half way through out jog with thunder and lightning. We were soaking wet. He advised to stop and stay under a small shelter in a park. He suggested to do some back extension while waiting for the rain to stop. He laid down on his stomach on a bench with his pelvis just at the edge of the bench and drop his upper body downwards. To do this back extension he needed me to hold his back so that he wouldn't fall off the bench because his entire upper body was hanging outwards. I was told to sit and put my entire weight on his butt so that his body will not move forward. He turned over after 10 stretches and asked me to hold on to his tighs so that he could do his sit-ups by dropping his back downwards. That was when I really got a close-up look at his package. It was really eye catching with the outline of his package imprinted clearly on his soaking wet lycra. He really looked sexy and I didn't stop looking. I didn't know if he was showing off his thing but as long as he was wearing something, then that's fine with me. My curiosity got me really excited because everything was left to my own imagination.
Well, here you go. I support guys wearing lycra tights. He said that if this kind of stretchings were to be done in a gym, he wouldn't need me to hold his body. Is that right?

Last edited:
Gym equipment for sit-up's and other such exercises generally provide places to secure your legs, thigh and what-not...so that much is accurate. At the same time, sounds like your mate is fairly comfortable with you being close and hands-on with him.

Everyone has different taste. If I'm going to go skin-tight on the lower body, I prefer my outfits have some degree of padding. I don't mind a gentle bulge because we have anatomy down there...but at the same time I'm sure as heck not going to offer-up any definition; I'd find it too embarrassing. I also believe that for every one woman who found it arousing, there's another 20 that are offended by it.

Some couple years ago they came out with a liquid bathing-suit for woman...it was merely painted-on latex that dried, woman would apply it over their breast. Sure, things were covered, but it was all out there to see. I prefer to leave some things for the imagination.

The other day while leaving the gym I passed a cyclist who was wearing white cycling shorts. OMG, it was so wrong...it was stretched like fine-hosiery over his skin and just too translucent.

I dunno....there's a line for everything and we each have to figure out where and what we're comfortable with.

Gym equipment for sit-up's and other such exercises generally provide places to secure your legs, thigh and what-not...so that much is accurate. At the same time, sounds like your mate is fairly comfortable with you being close and hands-on with him.

Everyone has different taste. If I'm going to go skin-tight on the lower body, I prefer my outfits have some degree of padding. I don't mind a gentle bulge because we have anatomy down there...but at the same time I'm sure as heck not going to offer-up any definition; I'd find it too embarrassing. I also believe that for every one woman who found it arousing, there's another 20 that are offended by it.

The other day while leaving the gym I passed a cyclist who was wearing white cycling shorts. OMG, it was so wrong...it was stretched like fine-hosiery over his skin and just too translucent.

I dunno....there's a line for everything and we each have to figure out where and what we're comfortable with.

Yeah, we have known each other for a couple of months now, purely through jogging. He runs 7 - 8 km nearly every day but I only do 4 - 5 km and not as regular as him. But I'll try to make it a point to jog because it's fun jogging with him. He'll normally help me with crunch and stretching exercises after our jogs and we do have body contacts at times.

Well, I'm the one out of the 20 woman who wouldn't feel offended. I'm just used to seeing him in body lycra and I don't think anything else would suit him.

White and light colored lycra would be too revealing, especially without padding. I wouldn't like my mate to wear light colors because I have grown accustomed to him wearing black and navy blue only - much to my taste. Furthermore, black and navy blue makes him look sexier.

Well, after knowing him for a couple of months, I feel comfortable with him and he was glad that I was not offended by what he wears.

Once there was a guy who drove passed us honking and staring at us to show his disgust at my mate. That was rude and perhaps he was jealous that he didn't have the body to wear it. We just ignored him.

But there were quite a number of occasions where lady drivers would slow down their vehicle to have a better glimpse of my mate. In fact one of them is a friend of mine and she sounded her intention to join us just to get to know him and have a closer look at my mate.

Last edited:
LOL....you crack me up, but it's all good. Glad you're a one in twenty ;)

I think it's great that if someone works hard and has a fit body, they can enjoy wearing clothing that reveals a bit of their results. Having lost my gut and developed some muscle, I too enjoy wearing clothing that shows some of my hard work. Heck, If I'm gonna bust my butt in the gym and give-up all that good decadent food, somewhere along the line there ought to be a payback. :)

That really sucks that someone actually took the time to slow-down and hassle your mate, it takes all kinds. I suppose when you go outside conventional parameters you stand-out a bit....and you have to plan on taking some criticism from those who feel compelled to express themselves. I've seen some pretty horrible things but I've never made it beyond inner dialog or commentary to friends. I guess we just have to remind ourselves that in years to come, none of it will matter.

where can i find a one in twenty my girlfriend like me in my tight but she won't come for a ride or a run with me not the energetic type

Last edited:
where can i find a one in twenty my girlfriend like me in my tight but she won't come for a ride or a run with me not the energetic type

I think your girlfriend must be slim and she doesn't have to work out to keep her figure. I'm sure she's beautiful too. But things will change when she's married and after having kids, she would change her mind then. Trust me, I'm now facing weight problem after having 2 kids. It's very difficult and in fact near impossible for ladies to maintain their figure after giving birth by just going for low fat and low calorie diet. Sweating out is still the best way according to my running mate.
By the way I'll be introducing my friend to my running guy and she will be joining us for a jog this evening. She's really excited about it and I'm sure that honking driver will even be more pissed off.

Last edited:
It's very difficult and in fact near impossible for ladies to maintain their figure after giving birth by just going for low fat and low calorie diet.

There must be something to this notion, cause even some gals (in their 40's) that are in good shape just can't fathom the idea of wearing anything body-snug. Most of them know I do a spin-class and then follow-up with a swim...it's the perfect combination of lower-body and then upper-body cardio, but when I invite them to join me in the pool, they look at me like I'm nuts. Not because I do "that much" cardio or because it's 2 or more sessions in a row, but because the idea of wearing a bathing-suit is absolutely TERRIFYING, and mind you, some of these gals are in pretty good shape...but having grown older then 40 and having had a few kids, they sorta seem to feel that if they can't look their best (as they did in their youth), then they just won't go there. And it's so sad because I swim during the aqua-motion class and it's full of a bunch of old ladies in their 70's & 80's and NOBODY really cares what you look like in your bathing suit. It's so funny the way we all believe that people are looking at us all the time. I see fat, I see thin, I see fit and I see sloth....that's them, I'm me; what's it really matter??? :sport:

Kat...I have to admit, I really admire the tenacity of your interest. I'd have to say you've found what inspires and motivates you. :D

Yeah my mate really motivates me. Whenever I'm free in the evening I would be looking forward to see him for a jog. I would text him and he seldom fails to turn up. I love the warm-up stretching exercises because that was the moment that I could really have a good look at him as we were facing each other while stretching.

As for my friend who just joined us last week. She suffered body aches all over but that didn't demoralize her. She'll be joining us again this evening. She too liked what she saw close-up.

In a way, we are enjoying each other's company. He likes us admiring his body and we like what we see too. It goes both ways. Furthermore, his advice and tips to a fitter body are very useful to us too, especially the back extension and abs crunching techniques that he showed us.

Last edited:
He turned over after 10 stretches and asked me to hold on to his tighs so that he could do his sit-ups by dropping his back downwards. That was when I really got a close-up look at his package. It was really eye catching with the outline of his package imprinted clearly on his soaking wet lycra. He really looked sexy and I didn't stop looking. I didn't know if he was showing off his thing but as long as he was wearing something, then that's fine with me.

Of course he was showing off his thing. That said, if I was in your position, I might have been unable to resist the desire to get an even closer look. Or drooled on him or something completely embarrassing.

Last edited:
Of course he was showing off his thing. That said, if I was in your position, I might have been unable to resist the desire to get an even closer look. Or drooled on him or something completely embarrassing.

Actually it was very difficult to resist at that moment but somehow rather I managed to get through it. I think I was close enough to see very clearly because I was facing his lower abs as I was pressing his thighs down with my hands. My friend and I would help him with these stretching exercises at the end of our running sessions nowadays.

Okay children, behave! :D

I don't get it. I just don't get it. I'm in L.A. and things are pretty fashion-forward and progressive here...but even here I hear the sentiments echoed in the first pages of this very thread: that men should NOT wear lycra and it would seem the greatest offense is the definition presented on account of a skin-tight material across the crotch. The legs are good, the butt tolerable, but the crotch is just "wrong". Why oh why do I repeatedly hear these sentiments expressed by so many woman, is it just that they're too embarassed to say otherwise or can we write it off to "different strokes for different folks"????

I will say this much....carrying on a prank perpetuated by some cycling friends, I shoved a very large banana in my shorts just before my personal trainer (female) showed-up at my home gym. The look on her face and her attempt to keep things modest was hilarious. While I'd like to say I kept the prank going for some 10 minutes, I'd be lying if I didn't admit to removing the banana after a couple minutes. Perhaps it's the case that woman are just as perverted and horny as men, they're just more discrete about it. Life's strange like that. :)

Okay children, behave! :D

I don't get it. I just don't get it. I'm in L.A. and things are pretty fashion-forward and progressive here...but even here I hear the sentiments echoed in the first pages of this very thread: that men should NOT wear lycra and it would seem the greatest offense is the definition presented on account of a skin-tight material across the crotch. The legs are good, the butt tolerable, but the crotch is just "wrong". Why oh why do I repeatedly hear these sentiments expressed by so many woman, is it just that they're too embarassed to say otherwise or can we write it off to "different strokes for different folks"????

I don't know... I'd say it takes a lot of confidence (some might say arrogance or nerve) to walk into a convenience store mid-ride for a gatorade in full kit. But confidence is pretty sexy :). I especially appreciate the red or royal blue shorts--honestly, I can't draw my eyes away. Maybe I'm just a tramp.

I should add, I think many women do act like they don't like to sneak a peak (or they want to vomit) because we have been discouraged from being sexual creatures. We have comparable impulses and desires to men, and frankly, the genitals are ultimately the object of those impulses.

Last edited:
I don't know... I'd say it takes a lot of confidence (some might say arrogance or nerve) to walk into a convenience store mid-ride for a gatorade in full kit. But confidence is pretty sexy :). I especially appreciate the red or royal blue shorts--honestly, I can't draw my eyes away. Maybe I'm just a tramp.

I should add, I think many women do act like they don't like to sneak a peak (or they want to vomit) because we have been discouraged from being sexual creatures. We have comparable impulses and desires to men, and frankly, the genitals are ultimately the object of those impulses.

Well said and I agree 100%.

Hmmmm......I wonder where Taku is, this is all so very much right up his alley?

Ha, I searched up his posts. Looks like he's into superhero attire. Not sure I think the multicolored '80s aerobics video versions of spandex are so groovy. I know that some people wear undies beneath their spandex (don't they know better??? ), but undies on top of the spandex is just plain silly.

Back