Dandelioness's diary

It all sounds delicious, lioness. I haven't eaten much Korean food. Was it good? The only reason I asked about the salt was my weight can vary a lot & if I have much salt I retain fluid.
Yes, I liked it. Bibimbap is a big bowl of rice with various vegetables (different from what I cook at home) and an egg that kind of cooks while they bring it to you in the hot bowl, and whatever kind of meat or tofu you pick. I think it can have a lot of oil, and the rice has a lot of calories, but otherwise it's pretty healthy I think.

And thanks for telling me about retaining water when your diet is high in salt. My weight goes up and down which I think of as water weight but I didn't think about whether it was from sodium I ate before. I kind of went off on the sodium topic since I had been thinking about it before you brought it up, but I realized you were just asking about whether it might be making the scale appear higher.

My complaint about calorie counting before was just about the hassle of tracking it, but I definitely dislike the fact that I can't eat as much cake, cookies, etc. as I'd like without gaining weight too :p. Anyway, I got some paper around my apartment so I won't lose it, while I'm working from home at least. I also got Google sheets on my phone, which I used today to track. Maybe that'll be better, especially when I go back to work.
My fitness pal app on the phone. Makes everything about tracking calories easier. Will even scan barcodes on food items.

It won't change the fact that you can't eat as as many cookies or cakes as you'd like without gaining (it's not magical!) but it definitely makes tracking easier.

So last night I ate more after I posted and ended at 2,317, pretty high again. This morning my weight was back up at the top of where it usually is (minus the 3 lbs I only saw on the scale once).

Today I might have done better. I planned for an ice cream cone date with someone, so didn't eat too much during the day (besides I was full from yesterday). My total calories came to 1145 today but who knows what the cone really had. I guesstimated 350 calories, but it could have been 3 times that.

I'm glad for the encouragement I get on here. Even though I don't feel like I'm doing very well, the encouragement from everyone has kept me posting when I felt like giving up.

Finally, thanks for the suggestion Tall. Well, I've actually tried that app and I can see why people like it, but for me, since I already know the calories in a lot of the foods I eat, it was a hassle to hunt for the food or enter the food into the app, instead of just typing in the number. If I'm at a computer, I like Excel for tracking but problem is when I'm not at a computer. So far I'm using this Google sheets on my phone this week, and it's ok. It's a little fussy but at least it's not as easy to loose as paper.

My Fitness Pal gets easier the more you use it, especially on your phone. I have lots of meals that I have often saved & then make adjustments if I need to.
Bibimbap sounds delicious.
I'm glad you like the support you get on here. There are some lovely people here & we keep one another going.

who knows what the cone really had. I guesstimated 350 calories, but it could have been 3 times that.
1050 kcal for an icecream cone would require a crap ton of cream. The largest packaged cone I can buy where I live is the Cornetto King Cone: 480 kcal or so and it's both huge and very creamy. Of course at an icecream shop you could theoretically pile on an unlimited amount but I don't think you did.

1050 kcal for an icecream cone would require a crap ton of cream. The largest packaged cone I can buy where I live is the Cornetto King Cone: 480 kcal or so and it's both huge and very creamy. Of course at an icecream shop you could theoretically pile on an unlimited amount but I don't think you did.

Thanks LaMa. My weight was down a few tenths this morning, so maybe the ice cream cone wasn't too bad. It was yummy anyway:)

My Fitness Pal gets easier the more you use it, especially on your phone. I have lots of meals that I have often saved & then make adjustments if I need to.
Bibimbap sounds delicious.
I'm glad you like the support you get on here. There are some lovely people here & we keep one another going.
Yes, I really am glad for the forum here. I still feel like I'm sort of doing something by communicating on here, even though I have some days where my calories are up over 2,000, so I'm still going, when I'd probably have quit again until "another day" otherwise. And I've been here a whole 2 weeks or so. Hehe. That's a long time for me! Not much compared to everyone who has been here for a year or more, but it's still better than usual for me!:jump:

todays food so far
salad
pineapple
cottage cheese
pudding
carrots
crackers
a little goat cheese
tomatoes
chocolate 105
leftover Korean food, mostly rice
rainbow trout
leftover bok choy cooked in oil
2 ice cream bars 260
total 1261

Today's a good day so far. Not sure if I'm hungry and need to eat to be able to sleep.

My weight was down about 3lbs this morning from what has been my highest in recent months. I was happy. I have to not get too excited because I know it often goes right back, but I'm a little happy anyway.

Yesterday I got about 1880 calories
Today so far1240
I'm going away this weekend and the food where I'm headed will be prepared by others mostly, so I'll see how it goes. I'll be out in the woods and should get some exercise.

My weight was down about 3lbs this morning from what has been my highest in recent months. I was happy. I have to not get too excited because I know it often goes right back, but I'm a little happy anyway.
Feel free to be happy!!

It's brutal though, isn't it? We work so damn hard to drop a few lbs. Exercise, dieting etc. Then we look at a piece of cake that somebody else is eating and its like the weight jumps across thin air and lands on us.

Enjoy your weekend! And maybe don't weigh until two days after getting home if the food is very salty. Seeing the scales jump up can be demotivating even if you know it's just a giant salad in transit through your gut or water weight from a salty soup you ate.

Back